It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stop with the excuses
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Ref's, Smitty, timeouts and so on. Anyone can make excuses and play the blame game.

The fact of the matter is, with the offense not firing on all cylinders, this defense needs to step up and win games. People don't want to hear it, but Roddy White is going to be hobbled a good chunk of the year with that high ankle sprain. There isn't going to be a miracle cure somehow on the bye week. It pains me to say this, but Tony G. looks.....average. S-Jax? Who knows.

That being said, we need a complete 60 minute effort on defense, week in and week out or it's going to be a long year. If this team wants to be in that elite status like I think it does, role players have to step in and shine, average players need to be good and good players need to be great. We are going to see what this team is made of in 2013-14.

Post subject: Re: Stop with the excuses
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If this team wants to achieve elite status, then we need to better than 2.3 touchdowns per game on offense. Our defense is a hodge podge of young and old players, few of which are exceptionally talented.

On offense, we have a pro-bowl QB, RB, 2 WR's, and a TE. There's not a team in the league with more talent on its offense than we have.

2.3 touchdowns per game... Let that sink in. Our offense has scored 24 points in the 2nd half this year. One of those was a gift given by the defense.

The defense isn't the problem. It is true that the defense has trouble holding up later in the game, but the offense disappears as well. To me, the bigger letdown is the offense. I don't have very high expectations for the defense, but I expect more from our offense than 2.3 touchdowns per game and 8 points per game in the 2nd half.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:29 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

RobertAP wrote:
On offense, we have a pro-bowl QB, RB, 2 WR's, and a TE. There's not a team in the league with more talent on its offense than we have.

I don't know what team you're watching Robert, but the Falcons don't have that.

They have a Pro Bowl QB, and a Pro Bowl WR. That's...about...it. Gonzo isn't bad, but by and large he's been as AJ51 said average. Certainly compared to his usual self. The production he had last year in the Chargers game (9 catches, 91 yards, 1 TD) has basically matched his production from this year (11 catches, 93 yards, 1 TD). Steven Jackson has played 1.25 games for the Falcons thus far and has been average thus far.

I understand where you're coming from because you're talking in abstracts. But here in the real world, there are plenty of teams that are playing with more talent than the Falcons are right now. In the future, if/when Roddy gets healthy, Jackson gets healthy, and Tony starts playing like his typical self, then your implications of underachievement will be applicable.

But at this current juncture the Falcons are achieving at about the level you would expect a team with a near-elite QB, elite WR, Bottom 5 OL, and a middling rushing game, and a middling group of WRs #2 thru #4. The Falcons as of today are basically the Arizona Cardinals with a better QB.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:49 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

This defense has continually put this team in the position to win games. Our offense hasn't capitalized. I think this offense gets so much praise nowadays that we don't realize when they stink it up.

For instance, we held the Saints to 23 points and held them to a field goal when we needed to in order to keep us within a touchdown. What happens? We get to the 3 yard line and choke. The rams didnt start to come along until late in the game after a great defensive showing. That game should have been well out of reach, but we won by only a TD. William Moore gets a well-needed pick in Miami and this offense doesnt even get a field goal out of the deal.

After 5 sacks and an interception, this defense is not the problem. The game should have never even been that close.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:07 am 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
Quote:

Well no wonder your upset. You've made up a TE. that has finally wore out, and some running backs we don't have; and you just completely leave out our sub-par Offensive line; and you know Roddy's hurt, so why are you counting him??

Factor all that and you can't get 30 points regardless of what you do. Our O-line played rather good Sunday and I wouldn't expect that every week. Honestly one Falcon Fan to another, I think this young line is getting better; and our defense still needs a more complete pass rush; and next year now that Ryan's been paid we should be right back in the hunt.

Every team will not be good every year.... You know this, and its just harder to accept if you thought we had a Super Bowl team.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:28 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-lou ... 18f9c36acd

get ready for the new buzzword! 'explosive' is out! Now we need to play....wait for it....

'SITUATIONAL FOOTBALL!' 8-)