It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time Management and Play Calling
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:12 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I'm not going to go through how awful their play calling he entire game was up until the 4th quarter, although i don't quite understand why we would wait until the 4th quarter to start throwing the ball downfield and going into the no huddle every single game. The rest of the game we are so predictable just like Gruden said.

Anyways, if Smith doesn't know how to manage the clock, he needs to hire someone to stand next to him and tell him when to call timeouts.

Why would you possibly run the clock down to 3 or 4 seconds at the end of the first half from the 1 yard line? So many rediculous things went wrong that last drive it was crazy. First off they had 2 penalties. Not sure if it looked like is to anyone else, but I dont believe we got half the distance to the goal either time. In fact the holding call with 1 second left we went from the 1 yard line to the 1 and a half yard line.

Then we run the ball with Rodgers???? If you are going to run the ball with anyone, it better be Snelling. You cannot count on little rodgers to get in from there, especially when he got stuffed the entire first half. If you are scared the throw the ball there then kick the field goal.

Anyways, you call the timeout with 11 seconds left and you have about 6 or 7 seconds left there, not 1. Still had timeouts, so thats 2 plays instead of one. This tends to happen every game. Smith wants to outsmart everyone and thinks scoring with no time is the best way. Problem is we never score there.

Something needs to be changed obviously (We have injuries but this was still our game to win. We should have destoyed the Jets). In my honest opinion play calling and time management lost this game for us.

And by the way, if Asante Samuel can't cover and is going to run away from tackles, he needs to get back on the bench. He could have stopped that one touchdown 4 yards short of the endzone and ran at an angle that gave him no shot at tackling. Dunta Robinson couldnt cover but at least he could tackle.

Post subject: Re: Time Management and Play Calling
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:14 pm 

I was scratching my head on the play calling as well. Atlanta decides to try and establish what little run game they have against one of the better defensive lines in the game.

Why Atlanta doesn't go up tempo down field attack for more of the game is beyond me. Matt Ryan really does shine in that sort of offense not the slow plodding offense the Falcon's had show much of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:20 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Waiting until the 4th quarter to go to the no huddle is a fair gripe. I was calling for it when the Falcons got the ball with 5 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter. Over the years, the Falcons have been extremely successful with the no-huddle in the latter half of the 2nd quarter and scoring TDs. They certainly abandoned that last night.

But the clock management at the end of the half isn't as fair a gripe.

Calling a TO with 11 or more seconds left changes nothing. The Falcons only got the 2nd play because of the defensvie penalty. They bled the clock down to 7 seconds likely because Smitty hadn't made the decision yet to go for it on 4th down. But regardless in the time it took to call the TO, they likely made the decision to go for it. Had they not, they would have kicked the FG with 7 seconds to go to end the half. in that situation, calling the TO earlier has zero benefit.

But they opted to go for it, and Koetter dialed up his best 2-point conversion play. The Falcons simply missed it, and thanks to an unexpected defensive penalty they got another opportunity. But the half should have been over, and calling the TO earlier shouldn't have changed anything. The only way that would have been the case, is if the Falcons knew ahead of time that the Jets would get penalized. Smitty is a lot of things, but psychic is not one of them.

And after that from the 1, they opted to run it in. Which I don't disagree with the call. Becuase if they had passed it again, and failed, people would have killed Smitty and the Falcons for not being able to run the ball in from the 1-yard line.

Now if you wanna gripe that they should have given Snelling the ball in that scenario, I'm not going to disagree with you. That's also a fair gripe. Snelling had managed to convert his lone short-yardage carry of the night, while Quizz had failed on both of his. But it should also be noted that SNelling had failed on his last 5 carries, and had a success rate of 16.7% at that point in the game (1 of 6). While Quizz had failed on his last 4 carries, but had a success rate of 28.6% up that point (2 of 7). Coupled with the fact that Snelling had a pair of carries in the past minute of the game, while Quizz hadn't touched the ball in nearly 3 minutes, I can understand that given those reasons they may have felt that Quizz was the better option in that scenario. Doesn't make it the right call, but it's a quasi-rational one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:36 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge I understand what your saying about the timeout. But, giving he jets 4 extra seconds if we don't make it or kick the field goals means nothing to the jets. It doesn't hurt the falcons to call time out at 11 seconds. You can't predict the holding, however it is always a possibility so in all reality the timeout should have been called with 11 seconds. Whether I'm reaching with that one or not, I was saying to my brother call the time out. If they did, we have an extra play to get the td.

Their clock management the entire year in my opinion has been awful though.

Either way it was more if a vent than anything because I have not been very impressed with many if his decisions this year. If things worked out better on some calls, it wouldn't looked as bad and our record could be 4-1 right now. But they have just become so predictable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
If things worked out better on some calls, it wouldn't looked as bad and our record could be 4-1 right now.

Just think if that would have happened we would have the same team; the same coach, except the fans would be experts on being 4-1. Now their experts on being
1-4. ??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:15 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I really feel like the Law of Averages has caught up with us in spades this year....injuries, calls, close games, etc. As the cliche' goes, you are never as good as you think you are nor as bad. We are incredibly close to being undefeated, actually, which is remarkable as we certainly have not looked like world beaters. There have been a slew of games in the past couple of years that we pulled out of our ass and, as another cliche's goes, good teams find a way to win and bad teams find a way to lose. The Killer Instinct or resounding win we have all clamored for in recent years just never seems to happen and we are tasting the bitter side of this now but I think these games being largely up for grabs until the very end is more norm than exception and, thus, I close with yet another cliche'...the difference between winning and losing in the NFL is slight.