It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:52 pm 

...Rumor has it Josh Gordon is available for a 2nd rounder. Considering the Falcons lack depth at WR and potentially just lost Julio Jones for the season and Roddy White is banged up do you entertain this idea?

At this point, if Julio is done, even if we add Gordon the Falcon's aren't going anywhere this year. But for a 2nd round pick the Falcons do shore up depth and have a decent option to take over for Roddy as he isn't getting any younger.

Though, considering the problems on both lines I'm not sure the Falcons want to invest a 2nd round pick in a receiver.

Post subject: Re: So...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The post season was out of the question even before the Julio news. The defense and the offensive line need to be addressed.

But Gordon is interesting because Roddy's days here are numbered.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:06 pm 

The post season was more or less toast (some teams have done it though). But the Julio news certainly puts the nail in the coffin.

When things go bad for the Falcons they do so in epic fashion.

My thought on Gordon was more a long term idea than a short term one. I believe Gordon's rookie contract runs through 2016 and Roddy's deal is up in 2015 and he'll be 34 and I imagine retiring unless the Falcons are back in a "one more year shot at a title ala TG" which I suspect wont' be true.

Gordon is a headcase but perhaps being around Roddy White whom was somewhat of a headcase coming into the league will help straighten him up. Julio + Gordon would be nasty assuming Gordon keeps his nose clean and continues to develop.

Of course, as we all know lacking an offensive line nullifies offensive talent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:46 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

what about kicking the tires on a Dwayne Bowe trade? He has skills and is being under-utilized in KC...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I wouldn't make a single move at this point unless it is to acquire draft picks, or YOUNG talent. This year was superbowl or bust (even though you guys didn't believe that) and at this point, it's obvious that we have bust. From where I'm standing, this should be the end of Thomas Dimitroff's career in Atlanta. He made the moves that HE thought would get us a championship, and those moves did not pan out. His drafts have been crappy. His free agent moves have been crappy. Overall, Dimitroff has screwed up royally. Time to bring in someone else.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:33 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I wouldn't give up a 2nd for Gordon. I feel like his value is that of a 2nd round pick, and thus isn't worth that. I think if you can get him for a 3rd rounder or less, then it's a worthwhile trade.

If you can't get either Gordon or Hakeem Nicks for a 3rd round pick, then I'd try and sign Brandon Lloyd.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:21 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Agreed. As much as I love Gordon, a second round pick is way too valuable to give up for a player that is one failed drug test away from missing an entire year. Nicks is too injury prone to invest in a second round pick as well.

I want the Falcons to trade for a wide receiver in the next three days, no matter what. My eyes can't handle watching Drew Davis and Harry Douglas do absolutely nothing.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It makes no sense to trade for a WR. We have too much money tied up in the position already. Bringing in someone else isn't going to save the season. If you want to start building for next year, make a trade that helps our offensive or defensive lines, where our real problems are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:45 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Guys don't do anything now. Believe it or not some players will get worse and some get better. We need linemen not receivers; lets find out who our good players or the ones that can develop are!!

Its easy to play when your winning; lets find a few new guys over the next 10 or so games. The defense was always gonna be the side of the ball that kills us.
If one of the free agents at linebacker work out, it will be a good addition to Weatherspoon.

The tight end that folks wanted lynched last week look like he can develop into a good one!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:26 am 

It makes plenty of sense to trade for a WR. The Falcons desperately need a speed threat at WR if they have any chance of competing this year. The Falcons OL stinks but acquiring one player isn't going to change that. Even if they were to get a player like Branden Albert, it's about the unit, not just one position. The Falcons still have question marks at RG and RT. It takes time to build continuity with a unit, and thus even if Albert winds up being a good player for us, it may not even pay dividends until 2014.

Gordon or a comparable receiver can help right now. Again, without a full offseason of work to go through, he won't be great, but he can do many of the things that Julio did for this offense, which are WAY MORE VALUABLE than anything a left tackle could do for us.

Not to mention after this season, Tony Gonzalez will be gone. The Falcons offense in 2014 will consist of Julio Jones (coming off a foot injury), Roddy White (on the decline and at that point far more valuable as a slot receiver), Harry Douglas (who is only valuable as a slot receiver), and Levine Toilolo. There's the end of all your talk of the Falcons having the most talented group of skill position players in the NFL. Now you're no better than the Chicago Bears rather than on par with the Denver Broncos. The simple truth is that Matt Ryan needs playmakers. Can he make average receivers into better receivers? Yes. But he's not Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, that is very much clear on tape.

Roddy is gone in 2015. The smartest thing the Falcons can do is use one of their Top 4 picks (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) on a WR in 2014, give him a year to learn the offense (since we know rookie WRs generally suck), and then move into the lineup in 2015 as the starter opposite Jones. Again, you're going to need to give up a 3rd rounder or so at some point at WR, why not now. Acquiring a player like Gordon not only solidifies your roster in 2014, where you now have Jones, Gordon, and White as your big 3, but it also secures your spot for 2015 and beyond, where it will be Jones and Gordon.

Josh Gordon will be 24 next April. Julio Jones will be 25 in January. Matt Ryan will be 29 in May. Knowing that Ryan should be able to play at a high level until he's 36-38, and Jones and Gordon should be able to play at a high level until they're 32-35, you do the math.

But when you only think about need, yes WR isn't a high priority right now. Julio's injury situation means that the Falcons won't have to pay him an arm and a leg until after the 2014 season when he comes back from his injury. Gordon is signed through 2015, which means that the Falcons have two FULL seasons to evaluate him before making a decision on his future.

The move makes perfect sense, you only need the foresight to see it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If the Falcons don't trade for a Josh Gordon or Cecil Shorts, I may start jumping on the anti Thomas Dimitroff train. I don't think people understand how horrible the offense is going to be for the rest of the year if they don't add a top young receiver. Also don't think people understand how amazing a trio like Julio-Gordon-and Roddy would be.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:48 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
If the Falcons don't trade for a Josh Gordon or Cecil Shorts, I may start jumping on the anti Thomas Dimitroff train. I don't think people understand how horrible the offense is going to be for the rest of the year if they don't add a top young receiver.

The rest of the league knows that the Falcons need help now at receiver and their asking prices just have skyrocketed. TD still needs to think about the future of this team and his hands might be tied in getting someone in here now.

As unpopular as it is, the Falcons are going nowhere this year and TD would be smart just to ride the storm out. Fans won't like it, but it is what it is. We shouldn't give up the farm. It's obvious this team needs more than "tinkering", it needs some major work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
If the Falcons don't trade for a Josh Gordon or Cecil Shorts, I may start jumping on the anti Thomas Dimitroff train. I don't think people understand how horrible the offense is going to be for the rest of the year if they don't add a top young receiver.

The rest of the league knows that the Falcons need help now at receiver and their asking prices just have skyrocketed. TD still needs to think about the future of this team and his hands might be tied in getting someone in here now.

As unpopular as it is, the Falcons are going nowhere this year and TD would be smart just to ride the storm out. Fans won't like it, but it is what it is. We shouldn't give up the farm. It's obvious this team needs more than "tinkering", it needs some major work.

Giving up a third and fifth round pick isn't giving up the farm. As long as it's not a second round pick, I make a move for either Gordon or Shorts in a heartbeat.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:52 am 

I think Pudge summed up my position with the roster and the idea of adding a receiver rather succinctly. I think the Falcons have a chance to add a quality #2 receiver in Gordon to get us through this year and to form the basis of the Falcon receiving unit for the future.

As Pudge already pointed out this is really the last year of Atlanta's elite skill position group on the offense. Now that this has completely fallen apart thanks to injuries Atlanta must retool and start immediately because this season is lost at this point. It takes time to build the offensive line and defensive line but you can get the 2nd most important part of the offense in place by building another great receiving unit.

I think Gordon is worth the risk because you do have someone like Roddy White on this roster that could be a fantastic mentor for that kid. White came into the league without the desire or motivation to be an elite receiver. Then after some time with Joe Horn he realized what he could be and became it. It's a gamble in hoping that Roddy can to that for Gordon but we have a shot hat having 1 elite receiver and 1 really good receiver both capable of stretching the field and both are 6'3" and athletic freaks.

Even with an average offensive like a WR set of Jones, Gordon, and White would be pretty damn nice. Granted you likely lose White in 2015 but it gives Atlanta a full season to get Gordon integrated and time to find a new slot receiver as well.

We need to fix the lines but we can't ignore the fact that many other positions are going to get shallow quickly with aging veterans reaching the end of their careers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Even with an average offensive like a WR set of Jones, Gordon, and White would be pretty damn nice. Granted you likely lose White in 2015 but it gives Atlanta a full season to get Gordon integrated and time to find a new slot receiver as well.

White is gone after next season IMO, unless he takes a huge pay cut. Gordon is a FA after 2015 and there is nothing set in stone that we could resign him. Someone else mentioned Cecil Shorts, but he is a FA after next season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:17 pm 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:

White is gone after next season IMO, unless he takes a huge pay cut. Gordon is a FA after 2015 and there is nothing set in stone that we could resign him. Someone else mentioned Cecil Shorts, but he is a FA after next season.

Gordon the Falcons shouldn't have any issues extending him and if nothing else he should be an RFA so Atlanta dictates compensation if he was to leave.

Though it seems moot as I've seen a couple stories regarding Julio note that Atlanta is not looking at making any trades for a receiver at the moment. That may have more to do with the uncertainty of Jones actually missing the entire season until after his doctor visit today.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Though it seems moot as I've seen a couple stories regarding Julio note that Atlanta is not looking at making any trades for a receiver at the moment. That may have more to do with the uncertainty of Jones actually missing the entire season until after his doctor visit today.

Or due to the fact that the Falcons brass knows this year is a wash....maybe they want to save those picks and see if they can strike gold in the draft instead of striking out in a trade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:50 pm 

Yes, because Dimitroff & Crew have proven to be such savvy drafters. Considering the recent history of Falcon draft picks have been more of the whiff and success variety I can't say I'm overly optimistic of that option turning out well either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I still think that the best, "move," would be to activate Darius Johnson and find out what we have with our young guys. We have had guys buried on our roster because we have studs starting. Let's find out what those guys have instead of keeping them buried. Roddy and Julio will be back next year. Harry Douglas has typically filled in quite nicely when Roddy or Julio have been out. Now let's find out if another of the young guys is worth a darn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:41 pm 

Trading for Gordon doesn't stop you from finding out what you have in the young guys.

The Falcons use 4+ WRs on 70% of Matt Ryan's throws this year. Now that does include a TE like Tony Gonzalez being counted as a receiver. But in a post-Julio world, the Falcons will still have opportunities for players like Davis, Cone, Toilolo, and even Johnson to step up.

Davis or Cone have gone out for passes on 46 plays this year, about 9 times per game. The reality is that number should have been much higher had the Falcons opted to sit Roddy. With Roddy likely going to miss a game or two to get healthy (if not more), the Falcons will have plenty of time to evaluate the young guys.

This is similar to the comments that my former podcast co-host Ryan used to say in regards to Kerry Meier, "Give him a chance." Every day in practice he is given a chance. The fact that the Falcons still aren't using Drew Davis for more than a dozen snaps per game tells you everything you need to know about him. Every day players are evaluated.

Drew Davis and Kevin Cone have played for the Falcons for three years. They have had three years on this team, working in this system to emerge. They have spent just as much time with this team as Julio Jones. Meanwhile around the league players like Torrey Smith, Greg LIttle, Denarius Moore, Cecil Shorts, Jeremy Kerley, Leonard Hankerson, Aldrick Robinson, Dwayne Harris, and Randall Cobb have emerged in the same amount of time to be contributors if not excellent players with their teams.

The reason why guys like Davis and Cone haven't emerged yet is because they are not...that...good. Can they catch 1 or 2 targets a game? Sure. But are they going to be the guys that can consistently separate from coverage 3-5 times a game, like any halfway decent receiver can? That remains to be seen.

Good WRs don't just emerge out of the aether. Victor Cruz didn't come out of nowhere. Sure, yes as an undrafted free agent he did. But the minute he stepped onto the field in the preseason in 2010, he was lighting teams up. He caught 6 passes for 145 yards and 3 touchdowns in his first action in the preseason. You only have to look at Joplo Bartu and Paul Worrilow this past summer.

Putting your season's hopes on these WRs is a foolhardy proposition. But the God's Honest Truth here is that all the people that want the Falcons to go with their young receivers are the same people that want the Falcons to tank so that they can get a higher draft pick because they are foolish enough to believe that it really makes a difference. Anybody that actually does an ounce of research knows that draft position has minimal effect on the quality of drafting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Putting your season's hopes on these WRs is a foolhardy proposition. But the God's Honest Truth here is that all the people that want the Falcons to go with their young receivers are the same people that want the Falcons to tank so that they can get a higher draft pick because they are foolish enough to believe that it really makes a difference. Anybody that actually does an ounce of research knows that draft position has minimal effect on the quality of drafting.

Trading for Gordon doesn't fix any of the major shortcomings of the team. If you want to fix something, see about getting more pressure on opposing QBs, or giving our QB more time. Trading for another WR is falling into the same trap that we've been stuck in since Dimitroff got here. We spent way too many resources on the flashy positions rather than shoring up the trenches.

Also, Dimitroff has done pretty well with his top 10 first round picks, and pretty crappy with his other picks, wouldn't you agree?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:42 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The Falcons OL stinks but acquiring one player isn't going to change that. Even if they were to get a player like Branden Albert, it's about the unit, not just one position. The Falcons still have question marks at RG and RT. It takes time to build continuity with a unit, and thus even if Albert winds up being a good player for us, it may not even pay dividends until 2014.

Well the above is the thinking that never gives us an Offensive Line. Look how many
one good player linemen was moved this year. If we we're looking for it we could have two going into this season or moved early in the season. Their's been teams with fire sales....

What you've said is right if you want to perhaps salvage anything this season. But we haven't won with Julio; their just aren't gonna be many dividends this season. Just when I hoped Reynolds was improving he got ate Monday night.

I don't care about a low draft pick; I just want the odds better for a good offensive line next year!! Or the start of a good one.

Look these kind of season's just come around every so often. As long as your owner doesn't fire everyone, it can help T.D. see what his drafts have produced
and the lack of depth.

Yes a line needs time to work as a unit, but the better the individual players I believe they can be molded into the best unit possible.

Did I see Cone make a great catch Monday?? First catch in two years; but probably first attempt his way. More can go wrong this season and it starts with Ryan getting hurt. Blalock is also looking worse. I'd just like to find some better linemen at reasonable prices. No I can't name them because too many teams have gobbled a few up....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:12 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
Pudge wrote:

Trading for Gordon doesn't fix any of the major shortcomings of the team. If you want to fix something, see about getting more pressure on opposing QBs, or giving our QB more time. Trading for another WR is falling into the same trap that we've been stuck in since Dimitroff got here. We spent way too many resources on the flashy positions rather than shoring up the trenches.

Also, Dimitroff has done pretty well with his top 10 first round picks, and pretty crappy with his other picks, wouldn't you agree?

Yes it does. The shortcoming of the team that won't be apparent to you until you actually see the team on the field is going to be the Falcons inability to generate explosive plays sans Julio Jones. The Falcons are going to go back to the dink and dunk offense they had under Mularkey (that you hated so much), except this time they won't have the running game to support it. The Falcons offense is on the verge of collapse and it will be no more effective than the Patriots. But the Patriots are 4-1 you say, how bad can that be? Well it's an offense that is 29th in YPA, 21st in passing yards, 25th in completion percentage, 22nd in explosive plays, and 21st in passer rating with one of the 3 best QBs in the league. The Pats also have way more balance than the Falcons, who throw the ball 70% of the time, while the Pats only about 60%. The Pats are a much more balanced offense and actually have a good defense (go ahead look up the numbers). You put the Patriots passing attack with our running game and our defense, you'll be lucky to win 3 games the rest of the season.

But that's probably part of your plan isn't it? :roll:

What good is a 3rd round pick going to do the OL? Do you know the caliber of players that are typically drafted in the 3rd round up front? Mike Johnson, Kraig Urbik, Louis Vasquez, John Moffitt, Jared Valdheer, Jah Reid, and Lamar Holmes. With 2 or 3 exceptions, you can look out over the landscape of 3rd round OLs over the past 5 years and you're going to see a bunch of average starters and backups. Aren't you the same person that says you're tired of the Falcons not using 1st and 2nd round picks on OL? What are you afraid of?

Trading for a WR is not falling into the same trap as Dimitroff. You're falling into the same trap as Dimitroff. The problem with Dimitroff's drafting is that he relies way too much on need. That's why we end up with lackluster mid/late round picks because he's drafting for need, and not drafting guys that have upside. He's trying to hit singles and thinking that if he can hit 4 singles, I can get a run. Meanwhile, other teams just have 1 or 2 guys step up to the plate and knock it out of the park with a homerun, or hit a pair of doubles.

1 double > 2 singles

You and others used to hate the conservative Mularkey offense where they would have to put together 10-play drives just to score. It's hard to do that multiple times a game. You need big plays nowadays. It's much easier to score when you can get 30 yards in 1 chunk than trying to get it in 5.

It's the same with personnel. Josh Gordon is a potential double, triple or HR if it works out. What are you going to do 2 years from now when Julio has his $90 million contract, Roddy walks in FA, and the Falcons are stuck with an overpaid and declining Harry Douglas, some green rookie WR, and an average Levine Toilolo. What is your offense going to look like then? Not very good.

Do you realize how many players the Falcons are going to have to replace in the next 2-3 offseasons?

In 2014:
Tony Gonzalez
Jonathan Babineaux
Thomas DeCoud
Stephen Nicholas

In 2015:
Roddy White
Justin Blalock
Steven Jackson
Osi Umenyiora
Asante Samuel
Kroy Biermann
Matt Bryant
Akeem Dent
Jason Snelling
Garrett Reynolds

In 2016
Sam Baker
William Moore
Harry Douglas

The Falcons have a handful of "core" players to build around in the future (2015 and beyond): Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Peter Konz, Corey Peters, Sean Weatherspoon, Desmond Trufant, and Robert Alford. The Falcons need to add more players to that core, and it really doesn't matter what position they play.

Trading a 3rd round pick for Gordon is a BRILLIANT move. You're going to get a perennial 80+ catch receiver with a 3rd round pick? Do you know how rare that is. There's only been a half dozen guys over the past decade that have done that. They have names like Jimmy Graham, Jason Witten, Eric Decker, Steve Smith, Terrell Owens, and Hines Ward.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The Falcons, "explosive," offense doesn't happen till the end of the game when we're down by a couple of scores. Otherwise, we are the same dink and dunk offense that we have been. I'd argue that the reason for that is because our line can't hold up long enough for us to make throws down the field. Until you remedy that part of the equation, it's not going to matter who you have at receiver.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Emmitt wrote:
Agreed. As much as I love Gordon, a second round pick is way too valuable to give up for a player that is one failed drug test away from missing an entire year. Nicks is too injury prone to invest in a second round pick as well.

I want the Falcons to trade for a wide receiver in the next three days, no matter what. My eyes can't handle watching Drew Davis and Harry Douglas do absolutely nothing.

I agree with this line of thinking and Pudge's opinion that a third or less makes it make sense, anything more not so much. He's a very impressive talent, I'd say borderline worthy of a late first, but alas, the drug problem means he's one joint away from a year off and disaster for us. Also, it now looks like we will be picking in the top half of the round, so our picks are now more valuable making our second rounder to valuable for such a questionable guy.