It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: we need to sit Roddy White
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:30 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Was McCarthy the coach when Favre was playing with a broken finger? Can't recall. As to HD, does better than Franks = all world? I think this dead horse has been sufficiently beaten, don't you guys?

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons ... nt-returns

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:30 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
This is where I am having a hard time wrapping my head around your beef. Bench Roddy and sacrifice a few games at the beginning of the year or play him and try to win them all?

The point you are missing is we are a better team with a 70% Roddy than a 99% Davis. And if I'm wrong I'm sure you will let me know, but it seems that you are against putting the best team possible on the field on any given Sunday?

not quite. The orginal title of this thread was 'we need to sit Roddy for...wait for it...The 'Jets Game'. By this time he had already played 97% of snaps vs the Pats, had publically stated that he was still not healthy and it wasn't helping. Roddy was nowhere even close to being 70%: his numbers bear this out.

then he played late into the JETS game, got another injury, and publically stated that in hindsight, he now wishes he had not 'done that'. Had none of those other things happened ( 4 games playing terribly, constantly admitting he was slowing his recovery, and a post hoc admission he shouldn't have played, etc) then we would not be having this discussion.

Instead of putting 'the best team possible on the field' we did just the opposite. We got Roddy injured even more: and the guys who should have been taking his snaps and getting real game time reps with Matt Ryan sat when Roddy should have been. 84 total yards by October 4th, and no TD's? After 6 consecutive 1000+ seasons? Im sorry, but that is the kind of production I would expect of a backup.

So, if Roddy was playing at 70%, was helping the team, then maybe it's worth it. But not when he is playing as a 'decoy', isn't getting any separation, isn't being effective, and worse of all endangering himself.

Get it? :beef:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
So, if Roddy was playing at 70%, was helping the team, then maybe it's worth it. But not when he is playing as a 'decoy', isn't getting any separation, isn't being effective, and worse of all endangering himself.

Get it? :beef:

This is a no-brainer for me. If you are playing the player to serve as a, 'decoy,' you shouldn't be playing the player. ANYONE can line up and run routes. Unless a defense is absolutely sure that player can't catch a football, they're going to put someone on him. Given the other talent on the field, Roddy isn't going to draw significantly more attention than Julio or Gonzo. Putting Davis out there isn't going to be a huge dropoff from Roddy serving simply as a decoy. Davis wouldn't be my guy, however... Cone would be. Cone seems like a much better possession type receiver, which is what Roddy brings to the table. Davis seems more of a, "deep threat," to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:11 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

But Roddy was acting as more than a decoy. He ran 32 routes vs. the Jets, caught 4 passes on 4 targets for 45 yards. Harry Douglas ran a pass route 29 times and was targeted 4 times, but only caught 2 of them for 6 yards. Davis ran 15 pass routes, and was targeted 0 times.

Now I agree with you guys that the Falcons should have sat Roddy. But let's not act like he was merely an ineffective decoy when compared to the other receivers. Again as AJ51 says, 70% of Roddy is still better than 100% of Douglas or Davis. From watching the Jets game, and frankly the Pats and Dolphins games as well, that fact really is fairly indisputable.

AJ51 summarizes it perfectly. You're upset with Smitty for thinking short-term vs. long-term. Should he be thinking more long-term? Yes. And if the Falcons were 4-1 instead of 1-4, I would be much more upset. But when you're a team struggling for a win, I understand why he's not looking ahead. I still don't agree with it, but I understand it. Therefore, I can't get as mad as you guys are getting at Smitty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:38 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
But Roddy was acting as more than a decoy. He ran 32 routes vs. the Jets, caught 4 passes on 4 targets for 45 yards. Harry Douglas ran a pass route 29 times and was targeted 4 times, but only caught 2 of them for 6 yards. Davis ran 15 pass routes, and was targeted 0 times.

Now I agree with you guys that the Falcons should have sat Roddy. But let's not act like he was merely an ineffective decoy when compared to the other receivers. Again as AJ51 says, 70% of Roddy is still better than 100% of Douglas or Davis. From watching the Jets game, and frankly the Pats and Dolphins games as well, that fact really is fairly indisputable.

AJ51 summarizes it perfectly. You're upset with Smitty for thinking short-term vs. long-term. Should he be thinking more long-term? Yes. And if the Falcons were 4-1 instead of 1-4, I would be much more upset. But when you're a team struggling for a win, I understand why he's not looking ahead. I still don't agree with it, but I understand it. Therefore, I can't get as mad as you guys are getting at Smitty.

Pudge, do you really think Roddy was playing at 70%, though? I just went and rewatched the game last night, and if you still have it, look at the last half of the third qtr and the 4th. If I had to put a percentage on Roddy's play compared to his 'normal' self, I would put him more like 40 or 50% Roddy. Especially late in games.

For instance, I have heard that in the Pats game, he was 'trending up', and that might have been a reason to let him play..He played 97% of snaps, yet was held to three catches for 28 yards.

I see what your saying about him being a better threat, but I think the stats are a little misleading. We dont know what HD/Davis stats would have been if Roddy ran 10 routes instead of 32, right? And that's what I would have done ( and recommended it, too ) I would have used Roddy, but less. Now it's true that even is he only played 10-20% of the game ( or got something like 10-12 routes ) he could have pulled a hammy then, and we would be in the same situation. The only way we could assure Roddy wouldn't hurt himself would be to sit him, and that was not an option. But, I wouldn't have left him out there deep in the fourth quarter. But then again, I still have this image fresh in my mind from last season

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:16 pm 

fun gus wrote:
Pudge, do you really think Roddy was playing at 70%, though? I just went and rewatched the game last night, and if you still have it, look at the last half of the third qtr and the 4th. If I had to put a percentage on Roddy's play compared to his 'normal' self, I would put him more like 40 or 50% Roddy. Especially late in games.

That might be fair and accurate. And that goes back to in-game management by Smitty. But again, I'm not going to fault him too much for that. We saw similar thing with RG3 and Shanahan in the playoffs last year, where the coach is more concerned about winning the game that he's not going to pull a guy unless the team doctors tell him that said player can't go.

But that really is a separate issue. As far as I know, Roddy went down in the first part of the 4th quarter. Julio shortly thereafter, but he came back in the game because Smitty felt that he needed him (and frankly with that 46-yard bomb, I think his instincts proved correct).

Again, I think some of these issues are "systemic" in the NFL rather than a Smitty-specific one. Smitty's probably not going to push Roddy anymore, just like Shanahan isn't going to push RG3. But that's not going to stop them a year from now making the same mistake with another player. And I think most NFL coaches think along the lines of unless a doctor tells them otherwise, they are going to proceed as normal in regards to hurt/injured players. It's why they have that distinction between hurt and injured.

It's easy for Roddy to sit in hindsight and say, "I probably shouldn't have played." But I'm sorry I don't see why Roddy is any less culpable in this blame game than Mike Smith is...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:06 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Gus if you remember back at the Roost I always said "once a fumbler always a fumbler"about Vick. Nobody believed that but I can't help they were wrong!!

Gus Wrote
Quote:

Now I fullly expect the slings and arrows, and quite frankly if this site is 'going 'Roost', I will probably find a new home, and celebrations should abound. But look for the speck of sand in your own vagina before looking at the Dune in mine. I am at least subsidizing this excercise in futility. Don't piss on my leg and tell mt it is raining, please...

I don't think everyone is disagreeing with you and we're not going Roost.

I said earlier I didn't care about Roddy's record. To be clear I think Coach Smith made a mistake not evaluating Roddy injury then holding him out till he could practice to a least 90%. I think he should have held him out at least 2 more games!!

Once he let him play the first game I took myself out of the argument because he wasn't going to get better without rest. Once he screwed up letting him play the first game; why should I argue anymore; that was an easy call IMO; except if Roddy said he was 100% and he showed it in practice; which I think was impossible.

I actually thought since he was playing I figured he was better... I can put up with a lot of Roddy but not hurting the team!! Ultimately it was the coaches call; its got to be; anybody would assume Coach Smith made him run a couple of routes sometime during that last week.

Angry Johnny Wrote
Quote:

If you have veteran player, especially a veteran star player who says he can play, guess what, you play him. If Smith "benched" Roddy he risks losing respect from his players and thus losing the locker room.

I don't believe this!! If he benched him and cost him his streak; he would have more respect from players !! Everyone would know no practice no play. Coach Smith is their to see if he was ready!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:20 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge said
Quote:
It's easy for Roddy to sit in hindsight and say, "I probably shouldn't have played." But I'm sorry I don't see why Roddy is any less culpable in this blame game than Mike Smith is...

Its because Coach Smith is in charge; and Roddy is a player..... I agree during the season most coaches (I've heard Reeves say this ) a caller mad at Reeves asked " so if you can walk you can play") Reeves said "that's about right" most coaches play them if possible.

I think the context in this one is when I posted earlier after the first game. Missing Roddy for two games vs. not having 100% for 14 more is too much of a risk!! I haven't posted since then because I thought it was obvious Roddy wouldn't get to 90% or better till after some rest. If he's not ready he shouldn't play Sunday either.

A 90% Roddy will help us win 2 or 3 games in the next 10 or so----anyone may say he might still get injured; but I think you play the odds at the moment!! If he says he's 70% that hasn't done us much good. Without hindsight Julio & Gonzo should have carried us!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:38 am 

Cyril wrote:
Its because Coach Smith is in charge; and Roddy is a player.....

I just think in this day and age, players have to take more ownership of their own health and safety. Isn't that essentially what Roddy is saying when he "regrets" playing? Basically he is regretting that he didn't take ownership of his own health and safety as well as he should.

Roddy was only supposed to play 15 snaps in Week 1. Who came up with that plan? Presumably some combo of team doctors and the coaching staff. Who allowed him to double that workload? Presumably some combo of the team doctors and the coaching staff.

It's interesting that we're not even bringing the team doctors into this scenario...

It's actually funny, fun gus hates Brent Grimes because he allegedly shut it down for the playoffs. Yet, when the opposite happens and Roddy guts it out, he blames the coaches for being stupid enough to play him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:34 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
It's actually funny, fun gus hates Brent Grimes because he allegedly shut it down for the playoffs. Yet, when the opposite happens and Roddy guts it out, he blames the coaches for being stupid enough to play him.

Apples and oranges here, for a variety of reasons.

First of all, if this had been the playoffs and Roddy had chosen to play, I doubt that Fun Gus would be upset about this. In the playoffs, it's win or go home. But this wasn't the playoffs... It wasn't win or go home. It was the first few games of the season, and Roddy was not the difference between winning and losing.

Grimes was in a contract year, and based on the crap coming forth from his woman, there were potential issues there. I don't really believe that Grimes shut it down, but I can understand if someone else thinks so.

Roddy is a tough player... He has played through a lot in his career. He shouldn't be playing through a high ankle sprain. He really had nothing to prove, and having him on the field was not necessary. Ironman awards be damned, take a couple of games to get healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:12 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Robert Wrote
Quote:
But this wasn't the playoffs... It wasn't win or go home. It was the first few games of the season, and Roddy was not the difference between winning and losing.

Even if Roddy could have been the difference of winning or losing; its not his call. Coach Smith must have seen him run sometime the week of the game.....If not its even worse on Smith.

Common sense just tells you at the beginning of a season you don't risk 14 other games for just two. I doubt with this little rest he won't be right all season....

I can understand Roddy telling Coach Smith he was ready; but surely Coach Smith did his due dillegence; to see if he really was!!

15 plays would have been a mistake; like I SAY; I didn't see any reason to say anything after that first game. Roddy wasn't coming back strong, in fact 15 plays
accomplishes what?? Everyone knows I love Coach Smith I just think he really screwed this up.

Now I find no fault with the Abe deal last year; one comprises our full 16 games; the Abe deal is you lose and go home. Two complete different situations.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
It's interesting that we're not even bringing the team doctors into this scenario...

I tried, but minds are set and obviously they aren't going to change.

Quote:

With some people you will never win. Not that you need a winner and a loser, the better choice of words is some people just won't listen to both sides for fear of having to admit they may be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:25 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
First of all, if this had been the playoffs and Roddy had chosen to play, I doubt that Fun Gus would be upset about this. In the playoffs, it's win or go home. But this wasn't the playoffs... It wasn't win or go home. It was the first few games of the season, and Roddy was not the difference between winning and losing.

That doesn't make any sense. If Roddy was to injured to help them win the first few games of the season, how the heck is it different in him helping the Falcons win a playoff game????

In a round about way, you are making my point. Playoffs or not, you have to try and win every game. Whether it's game one, game 2, game 8 or the playoffs...you put your best team on the field. If Smith thinks a 70% Roddy is better than a 99% Davis, then so be it. He sees Davis everyday in practice and on film. I for one give him the benefit of the doubt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:28 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I don't believe this!! If he benched him and cost him his streak; he would have more respect from players !! Everyone would know no practice no play. Coach Smith is their to see if he was ready!!

Disagree. Players contracts are laced with incentives including games played, percent of snaps played, and so on. Money matter to the players more than anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:26 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:

That doesn't make any sense. If Roddy was to injured to help them win the first few games of the season, how the heck is it different in him helping the Falcons win a playoff game????

In a round about way, you are making my point. Playoffs or not, you have to try and win every game. Whether it's game one, game 2, game 8 or the playoffs...you put your best team on the field. If Smith thinks a 70% Roddy is better than a 99% Davis, then so be it. He sees Davis everyday in practice and on film. I for one give him the benefit of the doubt.

wow. I almost cannot believe you really posted that. :shock:

This is taking the 'excuse-making' to ludicrous levels. AJ, you cannot see the difference between a playoff game implication, and the JETS game? Because that is what we are talking about here. context.

(And Pudge, I was watching Peterson and the Cards last night, and on one play, it almost looked like he got hurt....And if he had left the game I would have been here in 2 seconds to remind you :wink: But I think it's disengenous to compare that guy, whos is arguably the BEST returner in the league, and our #4 WR. )

I know you guys think I am 'bitching just to bitch', but I assure you that is not the case. I am acting this way because I have 20 years of being an Atlanta sports spectator, and I am used to seeing this scene play out again and again. Look at the Braves...One Championship ( on a short season vs the very 'special' Indians) and we had all that talent. But our coaches regularly screw the pooch..

So the Red Sox closer came in last night to pitch the 8th and 9th to secure the win! WOW! What a concept?! Securing a win in the playoffs when you have a Lead! But what do WE do? We leave our best closer on the bench.

We start our starters in a meaningless game.

We leave our injured WR out there when everyone in the world can see this is a dumb idea.

Its what 'we do'!

And then , when you point it out: you become a malcontent, a vulture, a whiny lil bitch..Fine, I'll accept that moniker. The minute there is a Lombardi at Flowery Branch, I will never complain again. Or, I will at least shut up for about 8-10 years. That is a promise.

Up until then, I am going to keep bitching, and I do not care if our HC is Jesus F*cking Christ. :beef:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:33 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
This is taking the 'excuse-making' to ludicrous levels. AJ, you cannot see the difference between a playoff game implication, and the JETS game?

Sorry Fun Gus, I don't. You don't make the playoffs if you don't win games just like Jets one.

As I said before, maybe I'm from the old school and can't stand the pussyfication of the NFL today. Put your best 11 out there and leave nothing on the field.

Or maybe it's just my Polish heritage? :dance:

Either way, it's nothing personal. I tried to see the logic. In this case I just can't.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:32 am 

AJ does have a point. Winning Week 1, OK, it's clear the implications there aren't as dire as a playoff game. Especially when it's a road game vs. the Saints. You're probably not going to win that game anyway, risking further injury to Roddy doesn't make a lot of sense.

But when you're 1-3 and need to turn around your season, I can understand why the coach felt that was a do or die situation. Is it as heightened as a playoff game? No. But it's not an apples and oranges comparison. It's a Granny Smith and Macintosh comparison. The importance of winning that game was huge for the Falcons season. Not as huge as a elimination-playoff game, but still significant. And Roddy did help the Falcons almost win that game. Unfortunately, Roddy can't play defense too.

I think if we're talking all over again, the mistake may not have been playing him for the Jets game, but it was playing him for the first few games. He needed more time to heal from a high ankle sprain. But there was evidence that after the first 2 games, that Roddy was improving each week, and thus he was much healthier for the Jets game (presumably) than he was for the Saints or Rams games.

I'm not trying to excuse Smitty, just trying to show that there were quasi-valid reasons for the decisions he made. I just hope he learns from it in the future (the same stance I had in relation to last year's 2-point conversion mistake).

But I still contend if the Falcons had any semblance of depth at WR, it would have made Smitty's ability to make the right decision easier. But I still contend that 70%, hell even 40% of Roddy is still a better football player than Drew Davis. Now if Davis comes on and plays well in the coming weeks, then I'll have to withdraw that statement, and it will make Mike Smith look even worse. I don't expect Davis to put up 100 yards by any means, but if he can get open 4-6 times a game and catch the ball 3-4 times a game for 40-50 yards, then Smitty is gonna have some 'splaining to do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

[quote="AngryJohnny51"]Or maybe it's just my Polish heritage? :dance:
[quote]

:up:

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge Wrote
Quote:

I think if we're talking all over again, the mistake may not have been playing him for the Jets game, but it was playing him for the first few games. He needed more time to heal from a high ankle sprain

What other argument is there?? Just plain football smarts tells you that you don't risk the full 16 game season on a great receiver. I don't think Roddy has any incentives in his contract; its big enough. I'll take myself out of this thread again, it ended for me when Coach Smith didn't sit him while he was hurt as Pudge suggests!!

Each injury situation is different; you're the most careful with 16 games not yet played!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:39 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

AJ has a point when we're 1-3. What about the previous four games? I have to agree with Fun Gus on the excuse making. It feels like you guys have an answer for everything, and each answer is contextual. The issue isn't specifically the Jets game, even though the Jets game is bold in the OP. The issue is that Roddy shouldn't have been playing for several weeks.

When an armchair coach/gm like Fun Gus comes in here and makes a statement like, "we need to sit Roddy White for the Jets game. Hoping he doesn't really injure himself this sunday," and then we play the guy and he gets hurt....... Fun Gus must be psychic! No, he's just using his brain a little bit, something that our coaching staff and GM doesn't seem to do with much regularity.

Roddy has been playing hurt all year. We have not needed him on the field for the duration of his injury. The coaching staff had plenty of opportunity to see how he was performing in practice. (couldn't make moves/cut, couldn't run full speed) Yet they trotted him out there for each of our games.

Look, I get the concept of playing through injuries... I understand how you guys can defend the staff for letting it happen in this case... However, in fore and hind sight, it seems like resting Roddy more would be/would have been a smart move.

This whole topic brings up another issue that I have with this staff... They don't seem to play anyone unless they are, "their guy." It's like you have to have a serious injury in order to give anyone else on this team an opportunity to play. If the argument is, "they see them at practice all week and know that they suck." Well, get with the GM and cut their butts and bring in someone that they trust to be on the field on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Or maybe it's just my Polish heritage? :dance:
Quote:

:up:

8-)

:clap: :up:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:49 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
AJ has a point when we're 1-3. What about the previous four games? I have to agree with Fun Gus on the excuse making. It feels like you guys have an answer for everything, and each answer is contextual. The issue isn't specifically the Jets game, even though the Jets game is bold in the OP. The issue is that Roddy shouldn't have been playing for several weeks.

When an armchair coach/gm like Fun Gus comes in here and makes a statement like, "we need to sit Roddy White for the Jets game. Hoping he doesn't really injure himself this sunday," and then we play the guy and he gets hurt....... Fun Gus must be psychic! No, he's just using his brain a little bit, something that our coaching staff and GM doesn't seem to do with much regularity.

Roddy has been playing hurt all year. We have not needed him on the field for the duration of his injury. The coaching staff had plenty of opportunity to see how he was performing in practice. (couldn't make moves/cut, couldn't run full speed) Yet they trotted him out there for each of our games.

Look, I get the concept of playing through injuries... I understand how you guys can defend the staff for letting it happen in this case... However, in fore and hind sight, it seems like resting Roddy more would be/would have been a smart move.

This whole topic brings up another issue that I have with this staff... They don't seem to play anyone unless they are, "their guy." It's like you have to have a serious injury in order to give anyone else on this team an opportunity to play. If the argument is, "they see them at practice all week and know that they suck." Well, get with the GM and cut their butts and bring in someone that they trust to be on the field on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:59 pm 

RobertAP wrote:

I don't think anyone has denied the fact that playing Roddy was a mistake. I think we're all in agreement there. I think the line in the sand has been drawn as to whether how much loathing you put on Mike Smith for making that mistake.

Fun gus has [earned] a reputation as being "hyper-aware" about injuries. And I think he had a much more visceral reaction to this than most. I think most people generally take injuries in stride. I know I'm one of those people. I know certain times these things could be avoided, but when they aren't, it doesn't bother me. I'm of the belief that if you're a good team, that most of the issues with injuries can be mitigated. This is something I learned way back in 1999 when Jamal Anderson got hurt. Their 1999 season went into the tank because they didn't have viable depth behind one of their best players. I remember being on the Roost back in those days, and the majority of the fans were killing Reeves, and it quickly soured people on Reeves the GM. And now we're almost 15 years later, and it seems like TD is making the same mistakes, when you look at our depth at QB, WR, LB, and S, where we have critical playmakers.

If you call me making an endless litany of excuses for Mike Smith, sure I'll cop to that. I'm a pro-Mike Smith guy. And if you "anti-Smitty" folks are desperately looking for that straw that broke the camels back to get me off that bandwagon, then this is not going to be it. You guys know that I have a love/hate relationship with Roddy, and to be frank I don't really give a s*** that Roddy is hurt. If you had put Julio in this scenario, then I'd be more concerned and more upset. I do give a s*** that Harry Douglas, Kevin Cone and Drew Davis are now tasked with "saving" the Falcons season, but I don't really care that Roddy is injured. Look, I was discouraged when Abe got injured, but it didn't cause me to lose any sleep. But losing him didn't really hurt the Falcons as much as fun gus made it out to be. Losing Turner in 2009 didn't make a ton of difference then either. Because we had Snelling.

Look the 49ers lost Michael Crabtree and Aldon Smith for the year, arguably their best offensive and defensive player. And have they really missed a stride? Besides a home loss to the Colts, the answer is no. Why? Because they have other playmakers like Ahmad Brooks, and talented backups like Corey Lemonier to step up. And while they don't have the WRs to spell Crabtree, they have built an offense that is balanced and doesn't need Crabtree.

You have people like yourself RobertAP, and now fun gus appears to be leaning that way, trying to "build the case" to fire Mike Smith. And if this is Exhibit G in your case, then I say your case is BS. If this is bad coaching, then fine. But as I've shown, this type of bad coaching is rampant around the league. And thus if you're firing coaches over this, then 50-75% of the coaches in the NFL need to be fired. If you're saying that Smitty's gameday decision is bad coaching...then OK. But again, questionable gameday management is rampant around the league.

But if you're trying to get me to side with you on the "Let's Get Rid of Mike Smith" Bandwagon, then I'm sorry but you need to come correct with better fodder than this. But just like Matt Ryan, I like Mike Smith. He has his limitations, but I believe with the right pieces around him, he can win with those pieces.

But we have a fan base that believe at their core this team has underachieved because of Mike Smith. And I see it as the polar opposite. And it's going to take a lot more than endangered a star WR and not calling a TO when he should have in the 4th quarter to make me change that opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I just want to be clear, I'm not using this thread to build an agenda against Smith. I already have my case, and you know what it is. You happen to disagree with it, that's fine.

Fun Gus said earlier in this thread that he isn't looking to fire Mike Smith, he's just tired of seeing the same stuff happen over and over.

In this case, I don't think that we are all in agreement that playing Roddy was a mistake. Some people seem to be saying that it was not a mistake. If they agreed with Fun Gus, I doubt that we'd have 3 pages of discussion. Maybe I'm reading some of these posts wrong. <shrug>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:15 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
I just want to be clear, I'm not using this thread to build an agenda against Smith. I already have my case, and you know what it is. You happen to disagree with it, that's fine.

Fun Gus said earlier in this thread that he isn't looking to fire Mike Smith, he's just tired of seeing the same stuff happen over and over.

In this case, I don't think that we are all in agreement that playing Roddy was a mistake. Some people seem to be saying that it was not a mistake. If they agreed with Fun Gus, I doubt that we'd have 3 pages of discussion. Maybe I'm reading some of these posts wrong. <shrug>

Sweet Jesus if I was not in north Georgia in leiderhosen getting ready Tplay polkas I would ap aww f****

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next