It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obviously, I'm not seeing what they are seeing...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

''We don't want to throw the ball 61 times a game, I can assure you of that,'' coach Mike Smith said. ''That's not what we're built to do. We're built to run the football when we have to.''

Now don't get me wrong. I completely agree that we shouldn't be throwing the ball 61 times a game. However, this team hasn't been built to run the football since the year before Mularkey left. If we were built to run the football, our offensive line wouldn't suck the way that it does.

Either Smith is completely clueless, TD and Smith are not on the same page, or <insert your opinion here>.

Post subject: Re: Obviously, I'm not seeing what they are seeing...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm pretty sure most of us knew going into the season our O-line was going to be bad, and I don't believe that our leadership is saying what they know to be the truth, they are doing public relations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Their public relations makes them look pretty dumb. ANYONE who has watched the team this year knows that our offense can't run the ball for crap. We are on pace to have the worst rushing offense in NFL history. If things keep going the way they are, we will finish the year with less than 1000 rushing yards AS A TEAM. The coach is doing interviews saying, "we're built to run the ball." Give me a freaking break.

Perhaps Arthur Blank needs to give a sacred vs sacrificial cows speech.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:03 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The coach is doing interviews saying, "we're built to run the ball." Give me a freaking break.

Classic.

The full quote is: " We're built to run the football when we have to.''

You forgot a little piece of it to slant others opinions towards your view. Smitty isn't saying he's a run first offense as you imply, thus doubting his touch with reality, he's saying that we need to be able grind out the clock when we need to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

First, I provided the full quote in my OP. However, not only can we not run the football, "when we have to," we can't run the football EVER. It's not cherry picking. We have no run game, PERIOD. Smitty said, "We are built to run the football when we have to." No. We are not. We are not built to run the football AT ALL.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:14 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
First, I provided the full quote in my OP. However, not only can we not run the football, "when we have to," we can't run the football EVER. It's not cherry picking. We have no run game, PERIOD. Smitty said, "We are built to run the football when we have to." No. We are not. We are not built to run the football AT ALL.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:41 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Smith said
Quote:
Smitty said, "We are built to run the football when we have to.

I read this to say the line was built to run the football when it had too; but it was built without testing; or failure in the preseason; (kinda like the affordable care web sight ) so now he's stuck with a line that doesn't work.......

Its just a sentence; hell he knows we can't run the ball for three yards in crucial situations!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Our line is terrible, whoever has the ball in their hands is irrelevant as nobody could excel without even the hint of a whole or a push. Now with no throwing targets it has and will continue to be even worse than it was at the beginning of the year. Signing Jackson was a waste. Heck our only decent lineman Blalock sucks as a run blocker (he is good against the pass). We need a stud left tackle and good old time for some of these younger guys to improve and gel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:56 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Stike with Holmes; see what they do to him next year; where he;ll never be out of shape again!!

Baker goes on the right side; or beasts out Holmes?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:53 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Mike Smith is a great coach, but his media interviews are one of the biggest reasons I can't stand him being in the position too. He doesn't give us anything at all to look forward to.

It's always, "Well, we didn't do what we wanted to do today." Of course you didn't! As far as him saying we are a run first team (which is the basic premise of what he said), not even close. The day we drafted Julio, a second big play red zone target opposite of Roddy, we became a pass first team. We were trying to build around Matt Ryan, what Aaron Rodgers has in Green Bay. We failed at doing so. We tried to hit the ground running and our legs were never moving quick enough. You start in the trenches, and you end in the trenches. If you want an offense that can score at will, you need to have an offensive line that can provide protection. It's that simple.

Mike Smith has a lot of wins under his belt and he's brought the Falcons back to relevance, but I'm honestly not sure he's the guy that will take our team to the next level. I'm certainly not calling for him to get the boot, I don't want that. I want him to get one more season with us where our guys are actually healthy. Then it will be time for Blank to make a decision.

Profile E-mail