It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When did we trade for Carson Palmer?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:53 pm 
Starter
Starter

I swear he is playing qb for us now. Seriously though, I guess Ryan is pressing, and the results aren't pretty. I know he doesn't have much to work with but the pick six was just awful. 3-13 or 4-12 is looking like a pretty distinct possibility right now. We've had injuries but this team just flat out sucks. I guess our injuries kept us from going 7-9 instead. We'll never know. I guess we have the draft to look forward to. I can't wait to see which high floor/low ceiling, team captain, former Boy Scout leader, former president of the 4-h club, Good Samaritan award winning players we can draft. How about some mean motherfuckers for a change? I guess we've been spoiled by the teams recent success, but its never good to be looking forward to draft/free agency halfway through the year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: When did we trade for Carson Palmer?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:59 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I think more than anything, the past two weeks is showing how bad it can be to have all those great receiving options at one time every week. I think that Matt got so used to being able to throw the ball into a crowd knowing his guy would come out with the football that he's just forcing passes now. We watched it last week, we've watched it this week, he continues to throw into coverage for no reason. The pressure he's getting from the defense certainly isn't helping, but these aren't mistakes that he has made in the past.

The good thing about this issue is that it's correctable. It's not like he's throwing absolute ducks resulting in turnovers here. He's throwing a good football, just into bad situations for guys who aren't usually on the field with him. He needs to take a step back and really get on the same page with his current receivers.

I wouldn't say he looks like Carson Palmer, I do think I would say that he looks a lot like Joe Flacco as of late. (Just, without the ring of course).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Here's the question that can be answered by someone with the ALL 22... Is his only option to throw into these bad situations? I might be seeing things wrongly, but it looks like we're using a lot of protection on our pass plays... This may mean that we have only 3 people out running routes, which means that there are going to be more guys covering those options.

Also, because our line blows goats, most of our routes are screens, or otherwise short, and teams are jumping those at this point. (pick 6)

Our big names have gone down, and our depth isn't that great. Our offensive line sucks. Pudge has been saying for a long time that we don't have much talent on this roster. Obviously, Pudge was correct. Now, what are we going to do about that? Give the guy who put us here an opportunity to fix it, or try to find someone who can take what we have and build upon it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We do have talent on this roster, the problem is it's all injured, we are literally down 3 out of our top 4 players, plus a half dozen other key guys. Do that to any team in the league and they will be horrible. We need to focus on getting guys healthy for next year, and hopefully getting a high draft pic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:36 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18715

:so:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:53 pm 

The Falcon's pretty well made their bed by not trading for a receiver and now they get to lay in it.

That being said do you really expect your #3 and #4 receivers to provide you anywhere near Julio Jones and Roddy White product? You'd have to invest a s***-ton-of-money into the WR depth chart to be able to replace both of those receivers if they are both down like they have been this year.

The Falcon's faced some pretty extraordinary injury problems this season. You can deal with a star going down on either side of the ball. But when your offense looses 2 of it's 3 top receivers and it's top running back there is little you can do about that. Your production is going to drop of significantly but hopefully the defense can make up the slack and keep games close enough that you can survive without that extra talent.

Of course then there is the other side of the coin where the Atlanta defensive unit has lost 2 of their better defenders (Spoon & Biermann) and had their top DB miss significant time due to injuries.

The Falcons lost a s***-ton-of-players in a short span of time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The Falcon's pretty well made their bed by not trading for a receiver and now they get to lay in it.

Ya, because there were so many trades that happened at the deadline. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I still don't get how people think that wide receivers are the answer to our problem when the line is absolute garbage. We need to fix the problems from the inside out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:42 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
I still don't get how people think that wide receivers are the answer to our problem when the line is absolute garbage. We need to fix the problems from the inside out.

Have you skipped the past 2 games? The OL has played well in terms of pass protection. Their run blocking was terrible vs. Arizona, but it was competent vs. Carolina.

The problem the past 2 weeks is bad QB play and poor WR play. They go hand in hand.

dirtybirdnw wrote:
You'd have to invest a s***-ton-of-money into the WR depth chart to be able to replace both of those receivers if they are both down like they have been this year.

Looking at the last 5 drafts, these players were all 4th thru 7th round picks:

4th: Brian Hartline, MIke Williams, Mike Thomas, Austin Collie, Louis Murphy, Cecil Shorts, Chris Givens, Jacoby Ford, Nick Toon

5th: Johnny Knox, Kenny Stills, Denarius Moore, Jeremy Kerley, Riley Cooper, Marvin Jones, Juron Criner

6th: Dwayne Harris, Aldrick Robinson, Dezmon Briscoe, Brnadon Gibson, Antonio Brown, Kyle Williams

7th: Brice Butler, Rishard Matthews, Julian Edelman, Tiquan Underwood

Average salary of a 4th round pick is about $600K/yr.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
RobertAP wrote:

Have you skipped the past 2 games? The OL has played well in terms of pass protection. Their run blocking was terrible vs. Arizona, but it was competent vs. Carolina.

The problem the past 2 weeks is bad QB play and poor WR play. They go hand in hand.

dirtybirdnw wrote:
You'd have to invest a s***-ton-of-money into the WR depth chart to be able to replace both of those receivers if they are both down like they have been this year.

4th: Brian Hartline, MIke Williams, Mike Thomas, Austin Collie, Louis Murphy, Cecil Shorts, Chris Givens, Jacoby Ford, Nick Toon

5th: Johnny Knox, Kenny Stills, Denarius Moore, Jeremy Kerley, Riley Cooper, Marvin Jones, Juron Criner

6th: Dwayne Harris, Aldrick Robinson, Dezmon Briscoe, Brnadon Gibson, Antonio Brown, Kyle Williams

Great example Pudge we could have gotten a pick for Tony G and gotten a guy like this for next year, but instead we have a chance to get to 5 wins :doh:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:55 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

DaveWaz wrote:
Pudge wrote:
RobertAP wrote:

dirtybirdnw wrote:

Great example Pudge we could have gotten a pick for Tony G and gotten a guy like this for next year, but instead we have a chance to get to 5 wins :doh:

heaven forbid. That would be 'tanking'. Pudge is not counting out the postseason :wink:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football ... ent/nbhQz/

Falcons are not ready to fold up the tent

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Despite mounting evidence to the contrary, the Falcons remain bullish on their playoff chances.

“We honestly think that we have a chance to make the playoffs and make a good run,” center Peter Konz said. “If we didn’t believe that, we don’t deserve to be here. We don’t deserve to be playing for the city.”

The Falcons (2-6) have dropped five of the past seven games and only have victories over St. Louis (3-6) and Tampa Bay (0-8). They are set to face a stout Seattle (8-1) team at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Georgia Dome. :doh:

:roll:

and let me cut off AngryJohnny's defense here " Well, what do you expect him to say? That we suck?"...How about when your 2-6 you dont say anything?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:02 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Gus you don't quit in the NFL. In past years we've needed wins from teams to make the playoffs; and we've gotten some of them.

You let a team tank this year and the same players on it will be looking for a sign to tank again.
Its rough out there (: