PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:07 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://blogs.atlantafalcons.com/2014/02 ... r-atlanta/

White Wants To End Career In Atlanta

February 3, 2014/in Daniel's Blog /by Daniel Cox
FacebookTwitterEmailGoogle+PinterestLinkedIn
140203_RoddyWhite_Blog
When the 2013 season ended, Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said he hoped to have the contract of Roddy White extended and added that the four-time Pro Bowler has “made it very clear that he wants to be back here for the duration of his career.” Late last week, White, who appeared on 680 The Fan’s The Front Row for a 30-minute guest-host spot, reiterated what his GM already said: he doesn’t want to go anywhere.

“I do want to stay here for the rest of my career,” White said on the Atlanta airwaves. “It’s been really good these nine years.”

Having White finish his career in Atlanta means the 2005 first-round pick can complete his mastery of the Falcons franchise receiving records. He’s currently No. 1 in receptions and receiving yards and is third in receiving touchdowns. White’s 55 TDs is two behind franchise leader Terance Mathis.

PHOTOS: See Images from White’s Career

Having White retire as a Falcon would be a suitable end to one of the best careers in franchise history and he is encouraged that both sides want the same thing.

“We’re working to try to get something done,” White said. “They want me to be here, I want to be here, so let’s make it happen.”

White’s entire segment is definitely worth a listen. He covers a wide range of topics from facing off against Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman to lessons he learned early on in his career. There was talk of the 4-12 record last season, but White said the disappointments of 2013 won’t sway their confidence going forward.

“We know when we’re full strength and we’ve got all our guns out there and we’re firing on all cylinders, we can be really good,” he said.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Roddy White Wants To End Career In Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:33 pm 

http://bloggingdirty.com/2014/02/03/rod ... t-falcons/

Roddy White Wants To Stay In Atlanta, But Is That Best For The Falcons?

BY BEN SULLIVAN - FEB 3RD, 2014 AT 3:38 PM

The Atlanta Falcons have made re-signing wide receiver Roddy White a top priority this offseason, and apparently finishing his career in Atlanta is important to him too.

White recently guest hosted 680 The Fan’s The Front Row, and made it clear that he plans on being a Falcon for life.

I do want to stay here for the rest of my career, White said. He also added, They want me to be here, I want to be here, so let’s make it happen.
Sure, it feels good to want him to finish his career as a Falcon, but is that really what’s best for the team moving forward?

The truth is that White is a 32-year-old receiver who is starting to be injury prone. He’s due to make over $6 million in 2014 and be a free agent next offseason. He’s still productive, but the cardinal sin in the NFL is to pay for previous production.

The Falcons can’t trap themselves into feeling like they need to keep White at any number. It would be great to have him on the squad the next few years, but the reality is that his production will likely plummet as he gets into his mid-thirties. That’s about the time when most receivers tend to lose a step, and the last thing Atlanta wants to do is end up with a big cap hit over their heads for an aging receiver who isn’t playing well on the field.

It’s always tough to let a player go who has meant so much to the franchise. White has been one of the best players on the Falcons for years now, but they can’t let that cloud their judgement when it comes to his future with the team.

There’s a number that’s worth keeping him around, but likely that isn’t the kind of salary he thinks he’s worth.

It’s tough to do, but the Falcons need to make sure they don’t hamstring their salary cap flexibility with a costly, long term contract for an aging receiver.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:26 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

4 years 22 million, guarantee half of it. That's fair to all imho.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:50 pm 

That's probably the upper end I'd go Dave. Unfortunately, that's probably too much, which is why I'd be reluctant to extend his deal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:21 am 
Superstar
Superstar

losing, TG, TD will be a bit desperate and over pay by a little imho.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:40 am 
Superstar
Superstar

i think Roddy will continue to be good..... He's not open much anyway; he just outmucles corners
to get the ball. Sure their will be a small decline; but don't think it will be as much as many
think!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:47 am 

There would be zero decline if the Falcons made Roddy their slot WR and dumped Douglas. But alas... :down:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:55 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Roddy would fit nicely in the slot. I wouldn't mind giving Davis a shot at the #2 spot with Julio at #1. I wouldn't stop there, I think we need to bring in more/better talent, but I'm to the point that I think that Douglas needs to go.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:23 pm 

Here's how the Falcons WR position should be:

1. Julio Jones

He primarily lines up on the outside. As the #1 WR that would normally mean that he lines up on the right side as the Z WR. But in the case of pairing him with Roddy, it makes more sense for him to be the X on the left side. Although moving forward the Falcons need to play him in both roles because he is going to make the switch the Z more than likely if/when Roddy declines. The benefit of this is that the team can put Julio anywhere on the field (including in the slot) and create matchup problems for the opposing defense similar to the way the Lions use Calvin Johnson.

2. Roddy White

He can stick at his Z receiver position for now, but when the team goes to 3 WR (anywhere between 60-80% of the time), he should be the primary slot receiver (Y).

3. Rueben Randle/Mario Manningham/Terrance Williams/Danario Alexander/Malcolm Floyd type

This player will be the primary backup for Julio Jones at the X, and in the 3-WR sets that will be his primary role (kicking Julio over to the Z). If/when Julio gets hurt, he becomes the starter at the X and still allows the Falcons to have a vertical element in their offense. This player should be 6-1 or taller and have sub-4.5 speed with good ball skills and a knack for making plays down the field. If this player is described as a one-trick pony (as Mike Wallace currently is or Vincent Jackson was once upon a time), then so be it. If that is the case, his one trick should be taking the top off a defense. And he needs to be a player that opposing teams fear can take the top off a defense. So that if/when they focus attention on Julio and roll their coverages to his side of the field, he'll be presented with a 1-on-1 matchup and will burn said corner in the same way that Roddy did in 2012. But the difference being this player is a lot more dynamic than Roddy was in 2012. The Falcons could easily find a player like this in FA (Manningham, Alexander, Meachem, Britt, Jerome Simpson, and Brandon LaFell all fit this description to varying degrees) or in this year's draft, which is deep at WR and typically is found in almost EVERY draft in Rounds 2 or 3. This is the sort of player that Josh Gordon could have been had we traded for him, and when the Falcons lost Jones for the season, should have been trying to find on the street or via trade. If this player is drafted, the eventual reality is that he will take over for Roddy 2 or so years down the road as the starter.

4. Harry DOuglas/Darius Johnson

This player is essentially the backup slot receiver. If any of the Top 3 players get injured, he will step in and become the slot receiver. If Julio or WR3 goes down, then Roddy will kick back out to the outside, and this player will man the slot. If Roddy gets hurt, then obviously he steps up and becomes the slot receiver.

In an ideal world, this player could also pull double duty on special teams as a returner (punts?), a role that both Douglas and Johnson have. Neither are great in coverage, which is a flaw, but you can live with it if either can also return kicks or punts.

5. Drew Davis

This player is primarily a special teams player, but should have the ability and capacity to contribute somewhat on offense in the event that the team is decimated on the depth chart. This player's primary value to the team is covering kicks and working as a gunner on punts, but again they should be good enough on offense and ideally versatile enough that they can play a variety of roles (outside or in the slot, which I believe Davis can do).

Eric Weems was a good example of the sort of maximum ability of this player (Weems BTW was a better WR than Davis is IMO).

6. Developmental WR

This should be a guy on your practice squad that has the potential to be the new WR3 if/when that player assumes the starting position for Roddy.

If the Falcons think a guy like Davis is anything more than their WR5, then…

Profile E-mail