It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good game
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:24 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I just finished watching the game on DVR, and I put up a review on the website. Most of my comments can be seen there.

http://www.falcfans.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=26

I would say that from watching, Lehr definitely needs to be the starter. I would say that Davis is the forerunner for taking Brady Smith's job. Vaughn didn't look that good. I'm not sure who I would tab as the runner up to Davis, but it would probably be Glymph or Nyenhuis. If Davis keeps playing like he did, then I don't think the DE position is going to be too much of a concern, although depth may be still.

Wright took the lead in terms of who the #3 RB is, but Cobb didn't get any work there.

I'm curious to see how the team comes out against Baltimore, since we seem to have some level of bad luck against them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:55 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

it was a good start Vick look sharp however i did think that dunn ran to much def was swarming all morning :shock: our night wich ever it was Peterson looked good but Place kicker was very shakey we shall see on that over all i was pleased but we shall start the test next week against the Ravens but a better start than last years preseason

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Some observations about the game!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:22 pm 

Just a few thoughts as I watched most of the game against the Colts.

1.Schaub looks good.I know it is usually against second stringers or backups but he knows how to run the offense 11-13 and I believe 95 yds passing.Mike Golic predicted that he will start for some team in near future which I predicted the same when he was drafted.If he plays well in the season Schaub could net the falcons a top 15 pick whether this year or next.
2.Players such as Chauncey Davis,Jordan Beck,Antwan Lake,Jason Wright played well.Wright has power and speed to be an effective 3rd stringer .Peerless Price surprised me on some of his catches he looks like he is not scared anymore and out to prove critics wrong.
3.Mike Vick played well but hard to determine how much he has improved until later on when we see him pass more.
4.No receiver really stood out although Price did play very well.Roddy White just needs more reps then I thinl we will see him put up stats.
5.The special teams needs alt of work especially the punting.Also way to many penalties!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:26 pm 

I tend to expect more turnovers/penalties in the first preseason game than normal. What I look for is how much those things are cut down from Game 1 to Game 2, which is the true test IMO.

I can't really say a lot of negative things about players, except Mookie Moore, but for the most part I was happy that the team wasn't too sloppy. I was disappointed with Detmer's arm strength because he completely underthrow Roddy White on that one play. White had at least 5 steps on his guy. The guy covring him was Eric HIll, a converted WR, so that should mean that Hill has some speed, which sorta tells you how quick White is. But I doubt Detmer can get the ball further than he did. I was a bit disappointed that Randall didn't get any work, but I suspect he'll play this week in the 4th quarter.

As for getting that high a pick for Schaub, I doubt it. I think gone are the days when team traded very high picks for untested QBs. The Dolphins gave up a 3rd for A.J. Feeley, and I would say at this point, unless Schaub leads this team to the playoffs over the next 2 years, I'd say that's the best we can hope for. Teams have been burned too much in recent yeas by giving up high picks for untested QBs that I don't think unless some team feels like Schaub is the next Tom Brady will they give up that type of draft pick. A middle rounder is about the best we can hope if Schaub continues to progress. Right now, I don't really see that fire in Schaub that makes me believe he's going to be a good/great starter elsewhere. But he has some time before he develops that. It is after all only his 2nd year.

I was impressed with all our rookies. They all showed some things. I think Boley and Beck should good speed and toughness. Omiyale looks ahead of Barry Stokes in terms of earning that #3 OT spot. He might be slightly trailing Jared Peck though. Davis was good. Babs and Shrop looked good on the D-line. Babs was quick and good pass rusher, I'm not sure of his run stopping skills yet, but at the very least judging from this game, he can be effective on 3rd downs.

I'd also like to say I was impressed with Lavalais too. I don't think he's going to be a guy that is going to rack up 5 or 6 sacks this year, but I don't think we'll be missing Jasper this year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Rookie QB draft high but experieced young QBs not worth?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:11 pm 

Hmm,interesting thought about Schaub and why most teams won't give a top 15 pick for a young promising QB.I wonder why the QB's that come out of college are even taken and I am going to say in the first 25 picks since they have never played a down of NFL.Yet here is a guy in Schaub who I know looks good in preseason tha is mostly against 2nd and 3rd stringers but can light it up.Same went with Feeley who the dolphons didn't give alot for him yet feeley played well for the eagles.These rookie QB's you never know if they will pan out,Schaub and feeley have more experience but will be worth less than the unproven rookies.It is all about potential with players and sometimes I wonder if that is the best way to evaluate them.Look at a guy like Quentin Coryatt all the potential in the world but a guy like Zach Thomas is a yearly pro bowler.I know it is hard comparine linebackers with QB's but you get my point.If Schaub does well if Vick goes down I wonder if getting a lower pick should be his real value!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:36 pm 

Yeah, it's going to be hard to compare Schaub with some of the more promising rookies. Schaub's arm strength is marginal by many NFL standards. He can make some of the deep throws, but he wouldn't blossom in an offense hat featured a lot of vertical passing. He is also not very athletic or mobile. Not saying he's completely stiff or anything (he showed that this weekend), but some of these guys that are coming out are real threats to make plays with their legs. Two examples would be J.P. Losman and Alex Smith. They are not Vick by any means, but an effective QB bootleg can be integrated into an offense with them at the helm, and it could not be with Schaub.

Schaub is a good QB, but the big question that he's going to need to answer over the next year or so is if he's a guy that can win football games on this level. You have a good number of quality QBs in the league that are good backups, but aren't very good starters. When asked to take the reins of a team and offense for more than just 2 or 3 weeks in a season, their playing level suffers (see Doug Johnson). They are no longer being looked upon for mop-up duty or just being a stopgap, but a guy that can lead a team to victory each and every week.

What is going to make teams want Schaub is if he shows that sort of command on the field. From what I saw of him at UVA, he didn't really have that. Who I would compare Schaub to right now is a Hasselbeck-type player. Not superb, but if you have the right players and tools around him, he can lead a team to the playoffs.

We'll see about Schaub. I want him to develop into a promising starting QB. But he may not get much of an opportunity to showcase his skills here in Atlanta because no team is going to give up a really high draft pick for a weak-armed, marginally mobile QB, unless he goes like 6-0 here in some run.

Profile E-mail