It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Piece on defense with,...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:30 am 
Superstar
Superstar

...a very interesting reference to Falcons fans as being, well, negative.

Note what this writer reveals at the very start of this piece,...short commentary after the piece.

It's time to appreciate Falcons defense

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 at 12:30 am

ATLANTA - Reputations can be impossible to change in the National Football League.

Some teams inspire a half-full outlook from fans. Others, half-empty.

The Atlanta Falcons stir pessimism in their faithful, or at least cautious optimism. And understandably so, considering the 40-year-old franchise has yet to post back-to-back winning seasons. <ouch>

Atlanta's offense is making dentists happy these days. The bye week produced plenty of teeth-grinding over the red-zone exploits: Three touchdowns in 17 trips inside the opponents' 20-yard line this season.

Never mind that those three scores are two more than Atlanta's defense has allowed.

Total.

Period.

One touchdown. Four games.

That should send fans to the dentist, too - to have their dropped jaws wired back into place.

Pro football has seen great defenses. Most inspire memorable nicknames: The Steel Curtain, Monsters of the Midway, Purple People Eaters, the 53/No Name defense.

Only one, the 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense, transcended titles - and they allowed 16 touchdowns, or one a game.

This year's Falcons are giving up a quarter of that.

"The defense is one of the best I've ever seen in the National Football League," tight end Alge Crumpler said.

Granted, Atlanta hasn't faced the NFL's more high-octane offenses.

Carolina without wide receiver Steve Smith is like a gun with no bullets.

Tampa Bay couldn't score in a harem.

And Arizona ... well, Kurt Warner might consider returning to his old job stocking grocery-store shelves.

But that's just the half-empty view.

Flip the glass over. The half-full outlook takes into account the Falcons played three games without defensive end John Abraham and all four minus middle linebacker Edgarton Hartwell. And that their biggest game-changer thus far, nose tackle Grady Jackson, is still working his way into playing shape and defining his role in the defense.

Abraham and Hartwell should be back in the lineup Sunday against the New York Giants. And Jackson is finally feeling comfortable.

"Nobody wants to see us with all of our guys healthy," cornerback DeAngelo Hall said.

Still, the one-TD-every-four-games pace will be hard to maintain, particularly with games against the Steelers and Bengals following Sunday's match-up with the Giants.

Then again, if the offense can appease the Doctor's Night Guard crowd and "finish drives with sevens instead of threes" as head coach Jim Mora put it, the defense need not protect the goal line as diligently as a night-club bouncer guards a velvet rope.

The Falcons' defense is on pace to give up 112 points. That would shatter the record set by the 2000 Ravens. Anything in the 200-point range is considered elite.

"I have been around some really good defenses," said Mora, a defensive coordinator for most of his 22 years in coaching. "But I don't think I have ever been around a defense that has only allowed one defensive touchdown in four weeks. It is impressive. I would like to say that it is going to continue all year, but I just appreciate the way they are playing."

And so should the rest of us, particularly the pessimists.

Adam Van Brimmer is an Atlanta-based writer for Morris New Service.

http://www.tickermyfeed.com/news.php/its_time_to_appreciate_falcons_defense_-_savannah_morning_news/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There's been a few people that has attempted to educate the average NFL fan about the fragile and often fickle nature of the every day Falcons fan. Sometimes when reading their posts, you'd swear they were a Panthers or Bucs fan in Falcons clothing. This guy reinforces what a few people, that are Falcons fans, has tried to tell all the fans of the Steelers, Patriots, etc. that are accustomed to seeing their team win just about every season. Believe me, it's frustrating to have to deal with the constant negativism that comes out of the Northeast media outlets concerning the Falcons, but to have to deal with it from actual Falcons fans is almost maddening.

This piece is just one example of someone that sees the Falcons defense as a force and didn't suggest they'd get waxed by the Giants, Steelers and Bengals the next three weeks like so many writers tend to express,...that negativism we're talking about.

oops, I said short commentary.:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:02 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Good stuff PB!!! Never let Fear determine the course of action....we are still very early in the season, with some tough games on the horizon. A NYG team that is as roller coaster as any out there, and a Steelers team that despite it's record is very dangerous...both can shut down an opponet on any given Sunday. I'm still very optimistic that we make the playoffs, and from then on it is a crap shoot. I'm just happy we are competitive.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:02 pm 

This is one of the main reasons why I'm not really getting down on the team. With exception to our horrid red zone numbers which is amazing consider we are a Top 5 rushing team. But I can't bang on the defense yet. We shall see if that holds up when we face true high-octane offenses in Cincy, New York, Philly, and too a lesser degree Dallas. If the Falcon D gives up less than 20 to any of those teams I will be impressed.... Assuming they don't surrender 30+ to a crap offense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:50 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Giants are the first true test of the season for this defense. The defense has played very well thus far. The Giants are averaging 25 points per game. If we can hold them to 20 or less, then I say our D is for real.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:13 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Pudge wrote:
The Giants are the first true test of the season for this defense. The defense has played very well thus far. The Giants are averaging 25 points per game. If we can hold them to 20 or less, then I say our D is for real.

Not having Shockey will put a crimp on their passing game, meaning less reliable targets for Manning..means that Barber may have more chances in the 10-15 yard box.Keep in mind most of their 25 points a game came in garbage time against a prevent defense....but you are correct Pudge...they have the offensive weapons to really test our scheme...should be a fun game to watch!!

Profile E-mail