It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Simon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:23 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I know there is now way we could get him, but Corey Simon is a FA now. I wonder where he is going to wind up. I know Baltimore almost traded for him before Simon demanded to much money. If they wound up getting him now then that D would be absolutely insane! Anyway I am glad to see he won't be there on sept 12. I am sure Philly will survive without hime though, or else they wouldn't have released him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:33 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Simon is one of the top DTs in the league. He didn't have as good a 2004 as past seasons (still had 5.5 sacks).

The Falcons would be foolish to not pursue him. Whether they can actually get him and afford him is another question. He is a good pass rusher and he and Coleman would be an unstoppable duo.

We aren't expected to be one of the teams that has a good chance to get him.

The chances of the Falcons getting Simon is based on how much money he wants and how much teams are willing to pay him. The Falcons probably couldn't afford to pay him more than $1.5 million this year and it would likely mean the team is going to have to cut Peerless in order to afford it.

Peerless for Simon? I'd definitely make that move.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:39 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

That's my line of thinking as well Pudge, I'd definitely cut Price to get Simon if that's what it came down to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:37 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'd back that deal too. Price is the biggest bust to hit Georgia since Dolly Parton and Simon would add even more depth & experience to our line. Too bad we can't get Ogden for the O-line....lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:27 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

The_Incomparable wrote:
I'd back that deal too. Price is the biggest bust to hit Georgia since Dolly Parton and Simon would add even more depth & experience to our line. Too bad we can't get Ogden for the O-line....lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:51 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge, do you have an updated salary cap figure that would help us understand the economics/possibilities of getting Simon? After axing Gowin, Price, and Mitchell, there should be a significant amount of space freed up. Can you shed any light on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:38 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

i think we have a very good chance now with simon does it mean we get him no but why do you cut price now if you not going after him i would think they would have cut price weeks ago if they where just going to cut him for no reason it will be fun to see

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

SIMON, SIMON, SIMON!!!! I've loved this guy for years now and I would love to see him & Coleman get after it every Sunday, especially with Lavallais & Babineaux rotating to keep them fresh. That would give us one of the most dominant middle interiors in the league and let Hartwell do what he was brought in to do, :D dominate the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:14 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

jagstang76 wrote:
Pudge, do you have an updated salary cap figure that would help us understand the economics/possibilities of getting Simon? After axing Gowin, Price, and Mitchell, there should be a significant amount of space freed up. Can you shed any light on this?

Not updated but off the top of my head Price frees up roughly $2 million and brings us to roughly $3 million overall.

It's certainly possible to go after Simon but keep in mind there are teams with more room than us that are probably vying for his services and our front office may not see a need for a DT...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:32 pm 

Capologist wrote:
It's certainly possible to go after Simon but keep in mind there are teams with more room than us that are probably vying for his services and our front office may not see a need for a DT...

I agree. I don't see McKay & Co. really saying, "Corey Simon is a guy we must have!" They've invested in both Lavalais and Babs for the future, and basically picking up Simon I htink would be an indication that the coaching staff is less than hopeful for the future of Rod Coleman. Something at this point, i don't think they are ready to say.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:17 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Quote:
Not updated but off the top of my head Price frees up roughly $2 million and brings us to roughly $3 million overall.

Thanks Cap! My guess is it might be more than that because we also released Mitchell and Gowin who had somewhat significant cap hits. Depending on how much room we had prior to these cuts, I'd say it might be closer to $4-5 mil. Would you say that's correct/close?

I agree with Cap and Pudge that McKay probably won't invest too much more at DT because it seems pretty well manned. However, adding a solid guy like Simon would give us tremendous strength up the middle. We could keep Lavalais and Coleman together and sub in with Simon and Babs. All are incredibly versatile and capable DTs that would give us a solid core to our defense for the whole season. And if we dominate in the middle, it causes a ripple effect throughout the entire defense. The DEs get better matchups and get better pressure on the QB. The LBs are freed to make plays behind the LOS. And the DBs will feed off the pressure that is put on the QB. With Mitchell gone as well, they might want another inside presence like Simon. Either that or see if there are any decent DEs that have been cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:46 am 

I think Mitchell and Gowin made pretty close to the league minimum. I doubt either have much cap impact.

How cheap is Philly? They have the most (or close to it) cap space in the NFL and they wouldn't pony up the dough to keep one of their veteran stalwalts. Pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:59 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
How cheap is Philly? They have the most (or close to it) cap space in the NFL and they wouldn't pony up the dough to keep one of their veteran stalwalts. Pathetic

Cheap? Maybe. I think they are taking a page out of New Englands playbook... no one is bigger than the team. I personally don't mind that stance because if you give into to one or two players, pretty soon you have a whole lot holding out.

I'm glad they didn't give TO a dime for example. He signed the contract, no one held a gun to his head. He should honor it. If he had an off year, would TO offer money back to the club for under performing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:03 pm 

Simon isn't T.O. though Dirty. Simon isn't saying "you aren't paying me enough I want more." He's saying I've been here a long time and I've bleed for this team. You have oodles of cap I want my due.

I can respect someone like Simon when they ask for a meaty contract. T.O. is a different story. Of course if it was a deteriment to the team (pushing the cap max) then I would agree with Philly. But last I knew they had close to $10 million in free cap space. Even at $5 million Simon's contract wouldn't put undue stress on them.

I'd also remind all the people on this board that getting Simon would cost us the same if not more then what he was asking from Philly. Do you want to cap strap this team like that?

Post subject: Simon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The guy is quality right now, but I don't see him on this team. If we are going to spend some cash I would rather see it on the O-line, not that I have seen cuts by other squads worth looking at right now.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:18 pm 

I do find the love affair with Simon funny considering people are already considering the release of Brooking. Hmmm... Same scenario? Both players get paid big time cash, both players have lost a step.

IMO we need to let Lavalais & Babineaux develop. Both had good pre-seasons and both have lots of promise they can develop. No reason to stunt their growth for a fading DT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Simon isn't T.O. though Dirty. Simon isn't saying "you aren't paying me enough I want more." He's saying I've been here a long time and I've bleed for this team. You have oodles of cap I want my due.

I see what you're saying Dirty. But the bottom line with Simon and TO is they want more money and are willing to disrupt the team in getting it. Simon was franchised which is Philly's right to do so. The NFLPA accepted it into their contract, so in effect Simon agreed to being possibly franchised and is obligated (sort of) to sign the tender.

I'm not arguing with you, the only point I am trying to make is TO and Simon are contactually obligated to play for Philly. Really, they have no leverage to hold out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:38 pm 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not arguing with you, the only point I am trying to make is TO and Simon are contactually obligated to play for Philly. Really, they have no leverage to hold out.

Not to argue but the basis of the franchise tag is to keep a player against their will. I wouldn't call that an obligation to play. Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Not to argue but the basis of the franchise tag is to keep a player against their will. I wouldn't call that an obligation to play.

The obligation comes from the contract the players union signed okaying the franchise tag. Can teams hold players over the barrel? Absolutley. Do I agree with this tactic? Not really, but that doesn't matter. What does matter is the players agreed to it at some point.