It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will defense or offense control who wins in the playoffs?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:24 am 
This is something I look for every post season whether the defense or offense contols the game.In the Rams and Seahawks game both teams scored over 20 in the Jets and San Diego it is low scoring.In the case of the Rams I don't think the defense of Seattle's is very good but obviously the next round will see if the defense takes over and shuts the Rams down.

This is also something consider when it comes draft and free agency time what is the best way to build your team.The glamour offense or the blue collar defense wins in the playoffs.Will the colts get shut down like last year's game vs the Patriots or will there high power offense take over? Last year the weather played a major part in the Colts not scoring alot along with the Patriots defense.If the colts make it to the next round they are going to have to face either the Steelers defense or Patriots in cold weather.Should be interesting to see what happens in the playoffs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:19 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think when it comes to the playoffs, it always boils down to defenses. Coaches get a bit more conservative, and tend to leave it to their Ds to bail them out. For some teams, that's a sink or swim deal.

That's why I think the Eagles still have to be the favorite in the NFC. The Eagles defense isn't exactly spectacular, and probably is among its weakest over the last 3 or so years, but they are still very tough, and I suspect they will step up their play since T.O. is missing on offense.

I'm not just so happy with our defense that I think we will be able to shut teams down like the Eagles could. Our secondary is a glaring weakness, and against teams like the Packers and Rams, they could easily chew up big chunks of field when playing against our soft zone defense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:04 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I agree that defense is the name of the game in the playoffs (although granted with enough offense to win!). We have the best rushing defense in the NFC playoffs. Philly has the best passing defense. I think the fact that our strength on offense is our running just doesn't bode well for Philly. If our defense can keep McNabb in check, I think we win...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:17 pm 

I wouldn't call us a great running team despite the fact that we ranked #1 in the NFL in rushing offense this year. Here's my reasoning:

I think the success of our running game had a lot to do with the success that Vick had on the ground. And I think if you slow down Vick, you will severely halt our rushing attack. Now I know that's easier said than done, but the Eagles I believe have the tools to stop Vick, with the speed they have upfront and a great set of safeties in Dawkins and Lewis.

The Eagles are weak against the run, but I think they are weak against a team that can grind it out with RBs, not against a team that will have them chasing a QB across the field. I don't want to belittle the Falcons accomplishments this past season, but I believe we led the league in rushing due to the big plays that Vick's legs sparked. He had 10 gains of 20 or more yards, while Duckett and Dunn combined for 11.

Despite being #1 in rushing yards, we finished 20th in time of possession, which I think further illustrates we are a big play rushing offense rather than one that can control the clock and wear away at defenses. And IMO, that's the kind of style that the Eagles are very prone too, which is what the Steelers did and why they dominated them so.

Vick getting 18 yards, and then Dunn & Duckett combining for only 6 on the next 2 or 3 plays just isn't going to cut it. We have an explosive offense, but I'd prefer consistency more than explosion when you're playing a defense as tough as the Eagles. And I believe they will bring their A game in these coming weeks, as I think they will beat up on the Vikings and then possibly on us. We shall see.

Don't get me wrong. I think we can beat the Eagles, but I think it will probably take the best 4 quarters of football from this team we've seen all year. A testament to Jim Mora if he gets the team up to the challenge.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:28 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Defense Defense Defense

i think a lot of teams have shown that is the key

much like The Ravens a few years ago

Profile E-mail