Week 2 vs. Giants Discussion Thread

All things related to the Atlanta Falcons, NFL and pro football related.
Pudge
Site Admin

Week 2 vs. Giants Discussion Thread

Postby Pudge » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Do you smell a trap? I smell a trap.

I think Falcons are the better team, but I'm not convinced that they are going to roll over the Giants like many hope/expect they will. Will be interested to see if on a short week after a big season-opening win, if this team comes out flat vs. Giants in their first road test.

Davewaz

Re: Week 2 vs. Giants Discussion Thread

Postby Davewaz » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:10 pm

I was thinking the same thing, also I think the Gmen will be super focused after last week. We are the better team, but I see it as a coin flip. One thing we have going for us, is the Giants pass rush isn't anything to write home about, so Matt should have plenty of time to throw. Our defense having a let down seems like a more likely scenario to me, with ODB and company possibly lighting us up.

Bad moon

Postby Bad moon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm not sure if we are a better team, but I think the Giants are worse than the Eagles. However, we are on the road. Even if Victor Cruz is out, the Giants can certainly score points on us. This will be another test for our defense. The Giants defense is not the one of old, but I don't think our offense will have an easy time. I think we don't have as good a game rushing the ball and will have to rely on our passing game. I think it's possible the o-line takes a step back on a short week. I still don't know what to make of our defense. Is this the defense that played in the first quarter against the Eagles, the third quarter or in between? I'm going to be very nervous until week 4 or 5.

AngryJohnny51

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:43 pm

How injured is Julio? Will he just be a decoy? This offense is gonna go as Julio goes. On defense we need to see which is our real defense. The one that played lights out in the first half last week or the one that was on its heels in the second half.

Davewaz

Postby Davewaz » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:08 pm

A come from behind win and Biermann made game changing plays on the same day......... I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket

RobertAP

Postby RobertAP » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:35 pm

I'm impressed that we pulled this one out. We obviously didn't look, "good," doing it, but we delivered when it counted, both on offense and defense.

Bad moon

Postby Bad moon » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:37 pm

It's great to steal a game like this on the road. We were not at our best for four quarters but we pulled out a win.
1. Our run defense continues to show it has improved over last year. There were a few big runs but plenty of stops after a yard or two and a few negative plays.
2. I am concerned we look like the old falcons defense at times, such as the second half of the second quarter and first half of the third quarter. We were burned in the running and passing game. To be fair these periods coincide with when our offense struggles.
3. Our rushing offense appears serviceable, though not necessarily good. And that might be good enough.
4. Our o line has played better than I thought it would, particularly in the running game. It has opened up holes, and has protected Ryan serviceable.
5. I wonder how long Coleman will be out. I like Freeman, but he doesn't seem to be nearly as good as Coleman.
6. I would like to have Hester back ASAP. In the meantime can we find no one better than Weems to be returning?
7. Julio still seems to have some effects from the hamstring. We should not push him too much to practice this week.
8. The pass rush, though improved, is not where I'd like it. Quinn blitzes less than I would think he would.

RobertAP

Postby RobertAP » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:09 pm

To go along with the comments, I really wish that we wouldn't rely SO heavily on Julio. We should be using him as a decoy as much as possible rather than feeding him the ball 14 times a game, mostly in the 1st quarter. Given that he is somewhat injury prone, I hate that we're having him run the ball in traffic over and over.

And yeah, our run game looks MUCH better with Coleman out there. Freeman just doesn't seem to have the burst or the vision that Coleman has.

Pudge
Site Admin

Postby Pudge » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:41 am

We have to "over"-use Julio because the rest of the supporting cast around Ryan on offense isn't very good. Roddy, Hankerson, and Tamme are basically backup-caliber players at this point in their careers, although Hank and Tamme did make some plays.

Return to “The Huddle”