It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not many WR out there.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:08 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Hey guys! It's great to be on a board with no trolls!!! BTW, its cjwalk75 from the espn board. I was looking and there aren't any WR available on waivers or the FA list to even start to get excited about. Do you think that maybe our management is settling for a rebuild year and go for a high ranking FA this coming offseason? Or is it that they have that much confidence in our current recievers? :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:27 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Personally, I think we should just wait until next year. Look, our WRs aren't going to put up numbers like Marvin Harrison and people like that. Vick is a great QB, but he's still maturing in his passing game. We are a running team, and yes I think R. White and Jenkins will be great for us with D. White and of course "The Finn." as well. I say just pick up Manger or someone who's trying out for us and roll with it this year. Plus I would be afraid of what we would pay for a veteran receiver this year. I don't know what our cap looks like for this year, but with the hit Price will bring us next year, I don't want to oveload it now. I think our WRs are fine for this year and this will allow the young guns to mature with Vick. I agree with you though, if we do decide to pick up someone, there aren't a lot to choose from out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:32 am 

MarylandFalcon and I made a new name for Brian Finneran. I believe it best outlines his ability to make every 3rd & 10 catch but can't seem to wrap his mitts around a critical 3rd & 2 or TD catch.

Brian Finneran shall be known hence forth as Clutchy Butterfingers.

I also think the Falcons are done working on WR for the time being. Their new focus should be the secondary and offensive line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:36 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I suspect that with White less than 100%, Finneran is going to take over at split end for the near future, and I'm expecting him to hold onto the job for a while. But dependent on how well he and Jenkins get off this year, will depend on who are the starters at the end of the year. If no one has stepped up to become Vick's top target, then I suspect we'll see Roddy White worked in a bit more down the stretch, much like Jenkins was last year.

But the team I believe is basically going to go with its top 4 guys right now. I suspect whomever fills the 5th position will play primarily special teams, and will only see the field on offense if a player is hurt. I think Magner has a shot, but I think the team is thinking hard about Will Pettis. He looks like he could be a very good gunner on punt coverage because of his great speed. So I really don't expect the team to go out and get a top veteran like a Peter Warrick. The best we can hope for is a Sean Morey-type receiver that has some experience on offense, but mostly has stuck in this league because of special teams.

I think the team is going to wait until next year to seriously address this position (if they have to). After all, Jenkins/White/Finn/Dez could all have career years this year, you never know. But I htink next year, the team will likely look to upgrade over Dez, who is a free agent with another veteran. Don't expect them to go after a pricey vet like Reggie Wayne or Hines Ward, but maybe someone like Antonio Bryant, Derrius Thompson, Andre Davis, or Corey Bradfrod. Someone with size that can stretch the field.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:19 am 

Unless both Jenkins & Roddy White have horrible years and not directly related to Vick's up-and-down nature as a passer I don't see any changes @ WR. The Falcons have effectively spent 3 first round choices on the WR position and I think McKay is well aware of the shallowness of our secondary as well as the less then stellar offensive line.