It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cut Players...including Fred Gibson
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:49 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Okay, I am not a hugh Fred Gibson fan, but he was cut by the Steelers and I don't think he would be a bad pick up for us. I think if he could get a good coach to work with him he would be another added part of a WR corps that's coming together nicely. Also, being a local guy doesn't hurt. Oh, another local who was cut was PK Sam from the Patriots. As for the rest of the people who were cut, there were some other intereting cuts I saw. Anyway, here is a web site with all of the cuts on it. Later.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8801521

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:54 am 
Starter
Starter

Gibson is from my home town, in fact he graduated with my son, so I'd like to see him make it in the league. His draw back is his immaturity, all the talent in the world but he dosen't apply himself. If the Falcons can get him on the taxi squad then he may develop into a good player but he would need to do some time in Europe to grow up a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:37 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Anttaj Hawthorne was released from the Raiders. This is the DT that could have gone in the first round and fell to the 6th round. He would need some work, but he could add good depth to our D-Line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:01 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I was never too impressed with Hawthorne at Wisconsin, wondering why people put such high prospects on him. From what little I saw, he looked more like a 3rd/4th rounder than a 1st.

The fact that he 1) fell from 1st/2nd to 6th round pick and 2) couldn't make the Raiders team and 3) I don't think he was ever that great anyway indicates to me that we can pass on him.

Yes, the Raiders had a deep roster at D-line, so it would have been hard for a 6th round draft pick to make it, but since Hawthorne was considered a first day talent, I think that is a big indicator he was never all that he was cracked up to be.

Gibson on the other hand, I'd give him a shot. I assume the reason he didn't stick in Pittsburgh was because he couldn't play special teams all that well and his on-field play was not good enough to make up for it. I don't think we need him, I'd like to see what we can develop with our foursome now, but giving him a look on the p-squad is worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:16 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Being a UGA alum & fan, I wish I could say we should pick up Gibson but I can't. He has decent speed, good height, and runs decent routes, but the biggest problem with both he & Reggie Brown were their hands. If he had trouble handling David Greene's passes (i.e. softly thrown spirals) then how will he handle a Vick laser? He might be worth a shot, but if it were my decision I would say no unfortunately.

Post subject: Hawthorne
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:38 pm 
Starter
Starter

Didn't Hawthorne have a problem with the wacky weed. I seem to recall hearing something about that the reason for his fall out of favor. If so I don't see him passing the filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:34 pm 

I doubt the Falcons sign any offensive players unless a veteran O-Lineman that plays better then what we have now gets cut. If anything I see the Falcons signing some depth for the D-Line or Secondary and maybe MLB. Right now we really only have two backs @ linebacker (Reese & Boley). If two players go down we are in trouble when it comes to linebackers.