It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 season preview...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Well, being a native Atlantan and a huge fan of the Falcons, Braves, Flames (oh wait, they're gone...lol), etc. I figured I should throw out some things that I see us needing to do in order to win it all this year.

First and foremost, we need to change a couple of things on offense. The big thing is we need to work Duckett more against the defenses that tend to shut Vick down (Bucs, Eagles, etc.). Reason being that they are speed defenses and the best way to bust through a speed D is to hit them in the gut over & over until they fold. The other big change we have to make is going downfield early in the game. Reeves was good about letting Mike just air it out early to Finneran, knowing that a bigger WR will usually be able to knock the ball away from the defender at the very least. Since we are built on a solid running game we need to back off the safeties on the other teams and this is how you make that happen.

Second, we need to adjust our pass blocking scheme. There were just far too many times that Vick was about to get hit as soon as he planted his feet after the drop. It looked like the line played better in the passing game as the preseason went on, but it was extremely scary watching the Ravens come clean on our franchise player multiple times without being touched.

Finally, we need to keep Coleman from driving around when he isn't playing...lol The guy is the anchor of our D and will be integral to the success of Hartwell if he does what we're all expecting. I'm looking forward to this year for one of the few times in the last 20+ years and I can't wait to see Vick & the boys run wild on my HDTV!!!

Post subject: Re: 2005 season preview...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:24 pm 

The_Incomparable wrote:
Second, we need to adjust our pass blocking scheme. There were just far too many times that Vick was about to get hit as soon as he planted his feet after the drop. It looked like the line played better in the passing game as the preseason went on, but it was extremely scary watching the Ravens come clean on our franchise player multiple times without being touched.

I t hink Vick switching to a 5 step drop instead of the three step drop will help him on planting without being planted. More importantly Vick will have much better field vision using a 5 step since he is a bit on the short side. This change should save us a few sacks at least and hopefully increase Vick's effectiveness from the pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:51 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I really hope and pray that Vick doesn't think to much this season. Every time he makes a mistake you can just look at him and tell it's because he's overthinking it. Honestly at time last year Vick looked like a rookie, but considering it's was only his 2nd full season starting, and his first in this offense I think all of those mistakes should have been expected. The best game he had last year was in Denver, and he was sick that day. He looked slower and calmer that game. I think that is why he was better that day than any other Sunday last year. If he can calm down a little and not skitter around like a scared cat the entire game then we should see a much better QB.
That depends on our O-line though. I am very pleased with the way they run block, but they block well for Vick. The weak link to me is Shaffer, but you can easily pass the blame for a lot of sacks last year to all the starters.
I will say that I think another large portion of our sacks last year were due to no WR's being open. They struggled a lot last year. If we can find any threat at WR we will be a much better team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:49 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

IMO we need to establish the run at the beginning of every game. We are the defending #1 rushing team. Teams know this. IF we establish the run, or even attempt to, then we can playaction and let Vick roll out all night.

Philly did so good vs. us in the NFCCG because we couldnt run. Then the playaction meant nothing to them and we were unable to roll Vick out.

If we cant get the running game going them we let Vick turn the corner a couple of times, followed by a post route while he is heading for that sideline.

But for an overall view of our season I would love to see us go deep, and maybe often. But our pass blocking needs to get alot better. Vick was the most sacked QB last year, I know alot of it was his fault trying to do too much and not getting rid of the ball when he shouldve but Mora and Knapp have said he has made good strides in that area. If he is once again one of the most sacked QB's then it will be confirm that our OL SUCKS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:13 pm 

Correction. If Vick is the most sacked QB in the league again we will have the worst pass blocking offensive line in the league. It is (currently) the best run blocking offensive line in the league.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:26 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

If Philly drops 8-9 into coverage/spy like they did in the NCFCG last year then we should be able to run right at them. If the first step the players in the front seven make is backwards then we should be able t orun right over them. Last year we were to determined to establish a passing game early that we shot ourselves in the fott. If we can play the type of ball we play (physical, run first, run second, pass when we have to) then I think we stand a great chance against Philly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:27 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I dont buy into that dirty. IMO its all the blocking scheme that lets our run game excel. We had roughly the same players we had years before (minus Whitt) and they didnt run block all that good. They opened holes for Dunn to scamper around and Vick will find his running room but they took a dramatic step last year and the only thing new was Gibbs and his cut blocking scheme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:24 pm 

Scheme or not this offensive line executes it flawlessly. So still that makes this line the best run blocking unit in the league. Scheme or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:49 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I think you both have good points. I don't think our players are necessarily that great, but they are well coached and they do execute Gibbs' scheme very well, hopefully that continues this season.