It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey old ESPN regs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:21 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Remember the draft of 2004 when we had every Mountaineer this side of the Mississippi come on our board and tell us not only would Quincey Wilson make the team but he would beat out Duckett and Dunn and be our starter by the end of the year?

And the olny thing they supported this crazy assumption with was a video clip of him running over a U of Miami player?

Wonder where they are now and if they still feel the same way.

They just dont understand that every back out of WVU = overrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I remember. The biggest problem I had with the ESPN boards (other than trolls, spamming, not being able to read a post, disappearing posts, etc) was not being able to discuss anything. If you disagree with anyone, it goes directly to name calling. No stats, no intelligent banter or proof to back anything up. Just teenie-boppers spewing new swear words they heard at school that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:04 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Exactly. That place was a mess and was nothing but a bunch of trolls. The sad thing is when you did come with relevant facts they would just say, omfg Vick is a running back...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:12 pm 

Remember the crap I got because I stated that I wasn't a Vick homer and prefer a pocket quarterback like Peyton Manning? My opinion still hasn't changed but I don't dislike Vick either. Of course a true pocket quarterback would get murdered here due to the o-line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

ESPN's board is out of control. hopefully this one will grow to over 1000 members.
intelligent football discussion is always welcomed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:17 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Remember the crap I got because I stated that I wasn't a Vick homer and prefer a pocket quarterback like Peyton Manning? My opinion still hasn't changed but I don't dislike Vick either. Of course a true pocket quarterback would get murdered here due to the o-line.

do you think we'd have the same success running the football (Vick's rushing totals aside) if we had a peyton manning type QB? as you said our Oline can be horrendous at times and Warrick Dunn is no Jamal Lewis, Edge James, etc.
i think alot of our running game feeds off D's focusing on Vick so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:00 pm 

Obviously if you take away Vick's running numbers our rushing offense drops off about 950 total yards putting us in the lower half of the top 10 running teams in the league. I do think that Dunn & Duckett would have the same success running the ball with Manning at the helm. Most importantly Manning can turn average receivers into good receivers and his ability to call plays from the field without stopping I believe actually make our running attack even deadlier.

Having the short passing scheme with a QB like Manning would probably neutralize the poor offensive line factor. Manning gets the ball out so freakishly fast. I believe the Falcons would be as good as they are now if not a few games better with Manning under the helm. Especially with R. White, Jenkins, Crumpler, Dunn, and Griffith as quality passing options.

I would also note it is becoming easier to find a quality starting runningback as opposed to a quality starting Quarterback. Look at how many teams have quarterback problems with no options to fill the void. IMO there is about 15 to 20 really good starting quarterbacks with a big drop off from there.

Look at passer rating...

QB over 100: Manning, Brees, Culpepper, McNabb
QB 90-99: Roethlisberger, Griese, Green, Bulger, Brady, Farve, Pennington
QB 80-89: Delholmme, Volek, Warner, Plummer, Carr, Hasselbeck, Leftwich

Once you get to the 80's range you have a backup, three QB's that lost their job or are in danger of losing their job (Warner, Plummer, Hasselbeck) and a pair of young QB's (Leftwhich & Carr).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:49 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

What about the REALLY old ESPN people?

Like madduxforpres, Daunte, pat56, djohnson11, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
What about the REALLY old ESPN people?

Like madduxforpres, Daunte, pat56, djohnson11, etc?

I'm gonna blow my own horn. Myself, dirty and maddux were the originals, though dirty had a differnet name back then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:06 pm 

My original name was ChandlerFan I had a few others but I've been DBNW since like 2000. Maddux4pres is still on the Braves board on occasion otherwise he doesn't post much anymore. DJ probably left in shame after seeing how well DJ performed in real action but I was on the same bandwagon he was ;). PatF56 did sign up and has made a few posts here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:12 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Okay, okay I'll confess.

I was djohnson11 in my former life.... :wink:

AJ: Sorry I left ya out man, you are definitely one of the originals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:10 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I went over to ESPN and told Dante to come join us here but I doubt he will. Most of his posts over there are on the braves board.

What about the othere we forgot? AtlantaMVP (who was in the military), and 98falcons, who if I remember correctly got in heated disscussion with Dante that lasted several days then never came back (except for a few posts) Reguardless 98falcons did know what he was talking about but just didnt like it if you disagreed with him.

I know one person I thank we'll never see. That racist. YOu guys know who I'm talking about. Remember? He had "another" name for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:07 pm 

You were DJ Cappy? I remember we were the only two on the ESPN board that held out in the Doug Johnson camp. I thought he was pretty friggin solid; so much for that. Not much has changed as I'm still the consumate fan of the pocket QB :).

MVP stopped posting shortly after he moved to Denver. If I remember right he was Air Force and had some medical issues he was in the process of dealing with. Hopefully everything is all good with him; he was a good poster.

The one guy that always bugged the crap out of me was NJBlackBird. I could never figure out if he was a Falcon fan or just liked to talk about a team he didn't like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:46 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

dirtybirdnw wrote:
You were DJ Cappy? I remember we were the only two on the ESPN board that held out in the Doug Johnson camp. I thought he was pretty friggin solid; so much for that. Not much has changed as I'm still the consumate fan of the pocket QB :).

MVP stopped posting shortly after he moved to Denver. If I remember right he was Air Force and had some medical issues he was in the process of dealing with. Hopefully everything is all good with him; he was a good poster.

The one guy that always bugged the crap out of me was NJBlackBird. I could never figure out if he was a Falcon fan or just liked to talk about a team he didn't like.

Yep, I was DJ...LOL

I still say we could have went 4-3 if our defense had stepped up at all and it could have been completely different but he certainly did dig his own grave on more than one occasion.

I remember NJ too, very frustrating..lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:53 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pat was kind of a pain in the ass to me on ESPN. He just acted like a know it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:05 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

The_Incomparable wrote:
Pat was kind of a pain in the ass to me on ESPN. He just acted like a know it all.

Gotta disagree with you there. Yes, he believes strongly in his opinions but I think we all do that. As long as we are able to disagree in a civil manner then that's all that matters right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:12 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

The main reason ESPN went downhill was because no one could just leave the trolls be.

Its basic troll philosophy. The more you feed them, the bigger they get. And once you feed one, more and more follow in search of food. I even went thru the trouble of digging through the internet looking for this and posted it a couple of times, but people ignored the request.

...............\|||/
..............(0 o)
...,---ooO--(_)----------,
...|````DON'T``````|
...|`````FEED``````|
...|````````THE````|
...|`````````TROLLS |
...'--------------Ooo-----'
...........|__|__|
..............|| ||
.........ooO Ooo

But I guess its like the zoo or a safari. No matter how many signs you see that say "Dont feed the animals" you always have [G-rated]idiots[/G-rated] who think it doesnt apply to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:42 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Troll posts shall be moved where they belong... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:08 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Capologist wrote:

you're in trouble I just joined this msg board........... I like it here Cappy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:18 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

harveybirdman wrote:
Capologist wrote:

you're in trouble I just joined this msg board........... I like it here Cappy.

Glad to have ya aboard!

The best part about this board is that it's all football talk. If people want to call others names, etc. then they can go elsewhere...