It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Orleans
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:17 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Since we play NO at there place first, do you think they'll try and switch our two games and play here first, and then play there or wherever later in the year? Whenever we play, I hope that Blank and the Falcons do something to raise money for this cause. Blank is a classy man, so I figure he'll want to do something. Anyway, I just didn't know what you guys thought about our game with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:41 pm 

I don't think they will tweak the schedule at all. The Saints will likely play at a college in of Texas' big three cities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The Houston Texans have offered their stadium as well. Class move on their part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:59 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah that is a classy move. I agree. While I don't think the NFL will let them flip flop the schedule, I just figured it would be a smart move. No matter what happens, it will be a long year or so for the Saints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:33 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints use this as a rallying point for their team. It will either make them a stronger team or it will crack them. I don't see there being any middle ground in this for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints use this as a rallying point for their team. It will either make them a stronger team or it will crack them

The Saints have had good talent for the past few years, but something is just missing down there. Focus? Coaching? I'm not sure. If playing in New Orleans is in fact a distraction like some players have said (too much partying) maybe the best thing for them is to get out of "Dodge" for the better part of the season and concentrate on football.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:59 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how all this works out that's for sure. It's still hard to look at it from a football perspective with all that has and still is going on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:45 am 
Former FRN Affiliate
Former FRN Affiliate

starley657 wrote:
No matter what happens, it will be a long year or so for the Saints.

Don't be so sure!

Post subject: ESPN mentioned they will be the sentimental favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:48 am 

Dan Patrick of ESPN mentioned that when the saints play there first home game in giants stadium the crowd will be very emotional and cheer the Saints on tremendously.Wherever the Saints go this year you can expect the hoe or road crowd to appreciate the Saint's and the things they are going through to play football despite the setbacks back in New Orleans.This happend after 9/11 the Giants fans and other stadiums treated the Giants as the sentimental favorite.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:07 pm 

The Saints are also a good road team.... I think they are 16-7 (or 16-11) on the road under Haslett. It might actually suit their abilities more so to have extra road games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:39 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i really didn't see the Saints making a major move above 8-8 this year and i still don't. nothing has changed there. sure continuity is a good thing, but at the same time this group was supposed to be winning 2 years ago. if they have the talent the so called 'experts' have been saying they have for the past 2 seasons then obviously it's the intangibles that are missing. this whole Katrina fiasco certainly isn't going to help that. i see the towel being thrown after game 8 for the Aints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

If you look just at their offensive potential, then the Saints might be the best team in this division. Their defense has pretty much held them back, but they aren't so bad that they couldn't still make the playoffs.

I think this tragic event may be that emotional boost the Saints have been needing over recent years to get them to stop underachieving. I wrote them off for much of the past few years, but I'm not going to write them off. They are a good road team. Under Haslett, they are in fact 24-17, while 17-22 at home, so where they play statistically-speaking has little bearing on whether they win. They've won 59% of their road games, which equates to 9 wins over 16 games.

With Vick in the lineup, we are 3-0 vs. the Saints. But we've only won those games by an average margin of 4 points. So they have all been close games.

Will the Saints be serious contenders for the division title? Well depends on your definition of serious. I don't think they will challenge directly for it, but I think they could beat a few NFC South teams that is going to affect who wins it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:30 pm 

Pudge wrote:
If you look just at their offensive potential, then the Saints might be the best team in this division. Their defense has pretty much held them back, but they aren't so bad that they couldn't still make the playoffs..

Not only their defense but to a degree their quarterback. Aaron Brooks has been both great and horrible at the same time. His penchant for mistakes, especially game changing interceptions, prevent the offense from truely being great. I've read the Saints will run even more then last year so that should in turn improve Brooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:52 pm 

Yeah, the talk out of NO is that McAllister was out of shape and nicked up last year, which was why he finished a disappointing 7th in the NFC in rushing. Supposedly, he's back in shape and more than 100%, so the Saints run game I believe will continue to give us fits. Over the last 3 years, McAllister averages 129 yards per game against, which is 30 yards more than any other team that he's played against at least 2 times.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:31 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

IMO this whole Katrina situation may spell the move of the saints. The head stadium guy (forget his title) said the superdome has to be leveled. SO this means if they want to stay in NO they will have to find a place to play for the next 2-3 years.

But I'm sure this is the last thing on NOians mind.

May God give these people the strength they need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:01 pm 

The NFL has been trying to get a team back in LA for years now. With the status of New Orleans in considerable doubt for the next few years I could see the Ain'ts filling that hole. It will be interesting to see how the NFL handles this. Of course moving the Saints now could result in major backlash for the NFL. I could be taken as an insensitive call on the NFL's behalf.