It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not impressed with Vick
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:47 pm 

He still looks as bewildered when it comes to passing as he ever has. He needs to settle down and stop just flinging balls out there and stop making stupid mistakes trying to turn nothing into something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:48 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

He is having his same ole issues, but McNabb isint doing much better.

McNabb 1st half
12/22 126 1 1

Vick 1st half
7/14 132 0 1

3 24 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:52 pm 

That is thanks to our defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:01 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Well even Manning didn't have a great game, and Vick is already halfway to his numbers from yesterday, and we all know how good Manning is. Vick will be fine.

P. Manning 21/36 254 7.1 2 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:03 am 

My biggest concern and reason for this thread was how wild Vick has been a times. He's trying to do things even in situations Vick can't get it done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:05 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

He needs to run more. Then we can rollout on the playaction and go deep to Jenkins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:05 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

True. He is forcing things in there, but at the same time some of his passes have been dropped that could have been caught, like the one that Crumpler in the hands and he dropped. He'll come around...I hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:13 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Vick's problem is the O-line. He was running for his life most of the game.

Also, he was taking a three step drop as opposed to the five he did in preseason. He had to resort to the shotgun late in the game because the line could not pick up the blitz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:23 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

He was very erratic. Had our defense not stepped up and played their tails off, that's an L virtually every week...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:10 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

well 3 things held true last night that we could and can pretty much take for granted the rest of the season.

1. vick did and will have to run for his life almost every passing down. he was still in the middle of his 3 step drop and there were already eagles in the backfield.

2. vick was innacurate. apparently 6 foot 4 isn't quuuuite tall enough.

3. vick fumbled. he still hasn't corrected that issue.

luckily our D is flat out lights out. wait till we face team that runs the ball and doesn't have a mobile QB to dogge all those sacks Mcnabb did. oh wait, that's the Seahawks! i predict our D will drop a nuclear bomb on Seattle's offense this weekend.

Post subject: Vick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Thanks for putting this out there Dirty. Vick didn't look any better than last year, and maybe even worse, but I think we all need to take a look at the Eagles D. You have to understand just how good they are. Vick wasn't sharp on many throws, but you can't really talk about fumbles as those were on long passing downs inside the 30 or so after a hold. Why Knapp or whoever called for throws on 3rd down is beyond me. They were asking for Dawkins and the Eagles to kill Vick. Those balls should have been run up the middle. The Eagles proved their speed is like that of the Bucs (which has given Vick so many problems) and they can get to Vick if they know he is going to drop back and pass. On that last fumble we had already taken our shot to the endzone (and not a bad pass by Vick either) but Dawkins made a great play. If you know you can't stop those blitzs then run and take a nice field goal. This all can't be placed on Vick... play calling and an awesome defense caused him to look the way he did.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The O-line was not a problem last night. They probably had one of their best games ever. I believe on Vick's two fumbles last night, the first one Finneran missed his blitz pickup, and on the second Duckett missed his. I wouldn't blame the O-line for those.

I was impressed with Vick. He showed more poise in the pocket than usual. Usually, he'd get happy feet and flee at the first hint of pressure. He stood in there and made some tough throws.

He wasn't great or anything, his accuracy and touch suffered in the second half and he did have a few dropped balls. But I think this is a solid first effort to build on.

One particularly instance I was disappointed was that one fumble he had on the sideline, where I think Michael Lewis or Dawkins knockd the ball out of bounds after he was initially hit by N.D. Kalu. That was an instance where Vick should have just thrown the ball away. That was a poor decision.

The hope is that Vick can build on this win, correct the mistakes he made and become a better passer, leader, and QB.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:43 pm 

Vick should improve his numbers over the next couple weeks with less aggressive defenses. I also believe Vick is hurt terribly buy our very predictable play calling. Most the night it was: run, run, pass, punt. There was no mix up in the plays except an occasional run on an obvious passing play that did little to move the ball. We must get more aggressive on play calling. Yes we are a running team but lets mix it up a little. The further the game went the more conservative we got.

Also, I wouldn't worry about Ed Hartwell just yet. He's played 3-4 his entire career so there is a transition phase to go to the 4-3. He made some tackles but I didn't expect him to be Ray Lewis his first game either.

We can be happy that our running game is hitting on all cylinders last year. Warrick Dunn is the same ol' Warrick Dunn and showed know lingering signs of his foot injury. Patrick Kerney, Demorrio Williams, and Rod Coleman were plain animals. They got to McNabb on a regular basis and they stuffed the run in the backfield on a regular basis. I feel good about our run defense and the pass rush. I feel pretty darn good about DeAngelo Hall after he played solid defense on Terrell Owens all night. 5 Tackles, 1 INT, 3 DP's, and allowed 0 TD's. The veteran T.O. got the better of DeLo mainly because of veteran saavy and size. None the less DeLo is a gamer and plays in his receivers pants and hopefully he goes man up against all the elite receivers we face. Webster & Carpenter also performed well but nothing paticularly noteable.

Honorable mention - Chad Lavalais: He was better then I thought but even then not spectacular. He could be a solid DT with more experience. I'm glad we rotate though as he isn't an every down DT.

Now for the bad side... We've already discussed Vick and the O-Line. My big "what the hell" thought was Bryan Scott. He had two sure-fire sacks and couldn't deliever. I saw him with a clean line to McNabb and once he missed the other time McNabb shook him off. Very dissapointed. Also on my list Keith Brooking. He did not look like the Brooking of old. Maybe he was distracted or something but Brooking may start splitting time with Boley if this becomes a trend. Also a dissapointement is TJ Duckett... That is the biggest man to have no power. Duckett couldn't convert 3rd & 1 and many times hit the line and stood up running in place only to fall backwards. He had no burst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:19 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Cut Vick some slack he didn't do that bad. Remember that the entire Eagle's secondary went to the Pro Bowl last year. Vick did hurry so throws and that led to him over throwning the ball. He threw a few balls way to hard, but the recievers dropped 2-3 too. The Eagles have a great defense and I think Vick was solid against them. IF he can settle down I think we may see some progress from him, but the coaches are going to have to lost the 3 step drop. I've never seen Vick do well using a 3 step drop and I don't think he ever will.

Our D looked great. Kerney was an beast. I hereby retract any statements I may have made about us not having a "cheerleader" on our defense. PK was all over the place making plays and getting the crowd involved. Coleman was a huge differance maker, and DeMo showed why he won the position battle at SLB.

D. Hall blanketed TO all night. Sure TO may have gotten his catches but they threw at him almost 20 times so you have to expect that. Hall looks like he could make a Pro Bowl run this year if that kind of play continues.

I am very proud of this team because they won a hard fought emotional game. Now I would like to award my game ball. I give the game ball to Kevin Mathis for getting Trotter pissed off enough to throw a punch and get ejected, that helped us more than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
was impressed with Vick. He showed more poise in the pocket than usual. Usually, he'd get happy feet and flee at the first hint of pressure. He stood in there and made some tough throws

I agree 100%. I thought Vick made excellent decisions on when to run and when not too. He didn't try ro "force" many throws, though some where very inaccurate. I personally have come to terms that Vick will never be a 65% passer, and that's fine as long as he makes good decisions and takes care of the ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:04 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Trotter's impact on THIS game, or lack thereof, was far overblown by everyone. I remember we only scored twice, and on both drives I remember us going downfield by mostly passing. I.E. The LONG bomb to Jenkins would have not been affected by Trotter being on the field, and God knows he isn't going to stop Vick from getting outside on that TD run. Anyways, yeah we may not have drove as often with Trotter on the field, but the outcome would have been the same.

D.Hall is an amazing player and I was most impressed with how he saw the pick coming & adjusted to pick it almost before TO ever even saw it. This means he was playing the ball & not TO, and after seeing that play i knew we had a great chance of beating the Eagles. If he manages only 3 more picks this year he will go to the Pro Bowl no questions asked.

Kerney is the best player on the Falcons right now, without a doubt. I think D.Hall will be closing in on him by the end of the year, but Kerney has that rare ability to consistently rush the passer while also playing the run well.

Coleman is a f**** beast and when he isn't winded is the most dominant tackle in the NFL right now, especially with Jenkins' knee problems. How the Raiders could be dumb enough to let this guy walk out of town is beyond me. I think he is still our defensive MVP because it seems like nobody can run up the middle on us when he is in there, and he also can be a sick pass rusher when he is motivated to do so.

Warrick Dunn was phenominal, along with the top notch run blocking our line did.

And then there's Vick. He started off well enough but once they got to him a few times he got erratic, which will happen with any QB. Even Manning starts playing bad when the Pats bring the house & rattle his cage. We have to sure up our passblocking schemes and get Vick protected or he is going to get hurt taking shots like that all year. I think he will be strong in the pocket if he quits keying on Crumpler as his #1 option and works on throwing to the receivers on their routes a little more. Also, the playcalling is handcuffing Vick for sure too. Having one receiver on the field & calling a pass play is just asking for a safety to make a big play....kind of like Dawkins did on the first drive.

Crumpler is a great tight end, but we have to quit making him the #1 option on pass plays. We need to hit passes to the outside to open up the middle for Crumpler, not the other way around.

All the way around it was a great effort by the home team and really had me screaming & getting pumped all night long. Great win for a great team & hopefully a sign of things to come this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:29 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

And for anyone who doubts Vick as a passer I will direct you towards the Carolina v New England game, where Tom Brady has had 6+ overthrows and a pick against the Carolina D.