It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hartwell
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:26 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

For anyone that was wondering where Hartwell was I thought I'd give my expaination for it. Hartwell was brought in to srop the run and the Eagles don't run. Hartwell comes off the field in our nickle packages and we spent a large part of the game in our nickle package due to the fact that Donovan threw the ball almost 50 times. We should see Hartwell make a differance in the next two games when we have to face Shaun Alexander and Willis McGahee. He will have his chance to earn his money then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:07 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Good post Steve, I hope you're right. I don't think a group of fans has wanted to succeed as much as the Falcons fans want Hartwell to play well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:57 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I think Ed will be a good player for us. I don't think he will be Defensive Player of the Year of anything but he will be a great MLB for us. He will definately get his chance to prove himself over the next few weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:37 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I just wish we could stop those little shovel passes and halfback passes better. That was killing me how they were going to Westbrook all night long. That pretty much was the same as running the ball...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:30 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I wonder how many plays he was actually on the field for. Can anyone find that stat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:39 pm 
Starter
Starter

On all of those shovel passes, Hartwell was off the field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:42 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Everytime Westbrook made a play, Brooking was responsible.

Our staff made a great change by not allowing Brooking to cover Westbrook late in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:09 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah i noticed they pulled a D.Hall and made Williams cover Westbrook man up late in the game...or Scott if Williams wasn't there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:16 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Our staff made a terrible call in ever putting Brooking on Westbrook. That was an idiotic move. Any RB in this league that runs faster than a 4.55 is too fast for Brooking. And that includes most starting RBs. If Brooking is routinely burned by Michael Pittman, who is not known for his homerun speed, then why oh why would any Falcon coach ever think he could possibly cover Westbrook, who competes with Dunn and LT as the best runners in the league in the open field.

Brooking can match up with bigger backs like Stephen Davis or Duce Staley in coverage. There should be a basic rule of thumb for the coaching staff when they prepare for matchups like these. If he weighs over 225 pounds, then Brooking can cover him. If not, then its up to Demorrio or even Boley to do the job.

Hartwell played well when he was in the game. I may be wrong, but I think when he was in the game, the longest run Westbrook made was probably 4 yards.

The Eagles did a good job neutralizing him by keeping him off the field. In all honesty, I think we're going to have to do the same thing if we face the Eagles again in order to keep Trotter under wraps.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:11 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

The problem is Trotter may actually be able to run with Dunn in coverage...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Everyone is forgetting that Westbrook is a mismatch on 99% of the linebackers in the NFL. That's why he (Westbrook) is a weapon. Brooking did all he could do to contain him and in the long run we still got the "W".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:15 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'm just glad we got a guy like D.Williams to cover these kinds of backs. Man he really stood out and made some huge plays Monday night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:57 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'm only going to guess here, but I don't think the staff ever intenntionally put Brooking on Westbrook.

I'm pretty sure when Westbrook flanked out in motion Brook shifted over to him. But like I said yesturday the staff obviously corrected this and assigned DeMo to man-up on him.

On Westbrooks TD I think we were playing zone and Brook happened to be the closest guy.