It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fox Announcers Yesterday - Walter Jones
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:37 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Man... did they have a man-crush on Walter Jones or what!?

If I heard them talk about how awesome he was one more time I was going to shoot myself!

Granted he did shut down Kerney most of the day... there comes a time when you just shut up and stop showing the same boring clips of Jones vs. Kerney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

What was even better is when they started saying how the guard was shutting Coleman down too, and showed an "example" of it. The guy totally hooked Coleman's neck & basically mugged him, and the announcers said he did a great job of pushing him to the outside.....WTF!?!?!?!?!

Post subject: Man crush
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Agreed, I have never heard so much about an O-lineman. They sounded like they wanted him for president. How many times did they mention him in Alabama pushing SUVs? Must have been at least half a dozen and then they showed SUVs in parking lot for ***** sake.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

as much as I hate to say it Jones deserved all of the attention he got yesterday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:38 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Honestly he really deserve that much praise. The guy is an All Pro Left Tackle in the NFL. He did what those guys do. I don't see them gushing about Orlando Pace when we played the Rams all game long. And they barely even mentioned that Brady Smith wasn't even playing, much less that Kerney was not built to play RE in a 4-3. All they could say is how much Jones had Kerney's number & how they were running behind him all game....even when they were getting stopped in the second half!

I am really wondering why the league, announcers, and sports shows don't show us any love. Everyone acted like Trotter being out cost the Eagles the game against us. Today on Monday Quarterback they were saying Vick needs to get better passing the ball...lol wtf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:19 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It is true that Walter Jones is probably the league's most consistent LT. I still rate Ogden over him because Ogden IMO is a stronger run blocker, but on a week to week basis, I think Jones is the better guy.

Although Kerney didn't face Jones every down, he did face him a lot as the Falcons made a concerted effort to keep Kerney away from the Seahawks TE, and when he did face him, Jones did make Kerney his bitch on most plays.

The Seahawks O-line deserves a lot of credit, and guys like Floyd Womack and Chris Gray, who are considered adequate starters played just as great as Hutch and Jones did, although the latter two got all the attention from the Fox announcer (who I think was Brian Baldinger).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:21 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

It was funny when they were saying that Hutch was shutting down Rod Coleman and showed him holding Coleman from behind around Coleman's neck. The play went for about 20-30 yards and nobody threw a flag, and the announcer (Brian Ballswinger) acted like Hutch did an awesome job of blocking Rod. It was pathetic actually and just showed me how much love we really aren't receiving.

Post subject: Ogden
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Jones certainly looked much better than Ogden has this year. In the Colts/Ravens game Ogden couldn't do anything against Freeney who blew past him again and again. Ogden may have been better in the past, but if Kerney is anything like Freeney (and I think he is) then Jones the better player so far this season.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:28 pm 

Well Kerney is nothing like Freeney. Freeney is the best pass rusher in the NFL. He has amazing speed off the edge and his spin move is just dazzling, on par with the great pass rush moves of all-time like Deacon Jones' "head-slap."

Kerney has decent edge speed, but gets most of his sacks due to his motor as many announcers are quick to point out. He has good hand use and works his way to the QB. But any OT with decent feet, good balance, and good technique and hand use (like a Walter Jones) is going to dominate Kerney. He is strong, but he can't bull-rush and he's not exceptionally quick, so he's not going to blow by quality LTs. I think it's the main reason why Kerney plays LDE in our scheme, because if he was on the right side the majority of the time, his sack numbers would be halved.

I don't want to bash Kerney, who is one of the top DEs in the league (definitely Top 15), but when you're talking about guys like Freeney, Peppers, and Strahan, you're talking about guys that are just in a whole nother category.

Profile E-mail