It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pudge question for you Iverson,Curry or Vick who was better
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:26 am 

I think Allan Iverson is from the same area as Vick and Ron Curry not sure.Also not sure if they were in the same era.I think Iverson is older but tell me didn't Iverson play football and was great at it? Coming out of school who got the most press clippings Curry or Iverson.I think Vick was in the shadows but could you tell he was super special as fast and throw the ball.How was vick in high school compared to the others? Just curious since I think Curry and Iverson were all americans in both football and basketball.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:05 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I saw all 3 play in high school, as each destroyed my HS alma mater.

I want to say Iverson was the best, but I have to factor in how young I was when I saw him play (9 or 10 years old). But he was an amazing athlete and from other stories I've heard since of his athletic feats, I think he would have been the best of the 3. He was just so small, I mean today he's barely 6-0 and weighs 165 pounds. I imagine when he was eighteen he was probably something like 5-10/150, so he would have never made it at a Divison I school at QB at that size.

I think I can give a more accurate comparison of Vick and Curry since I was much older and I think wiser ;)

I always thought Vick was the better QB among the two. Curry was an amazing athlete and showed it more, but I was always impressed with Vick's arm strength even then. But to be honest, I didn't think Vick was amazing from what I saw of him in HS. Very good, but I was really surprised at how much success he had at VT.

Iverson of course got the most press clippings because much of what was said of him at that time had to do with his legal/criminal troubles. I might be wrong but I think you're right. I'm pretty sure Curry was the #1 prospect in both football and basketball when he came out of Hampton High. I don't know where Vick ranked, I want to say he was #5 in football, but I have a feeling it wasn't that high. I believe Iverson had the same honors as Curry (#1 in both sports), but everyone knew that basketball was his passion. As it turned out, it seemed that Curry preferred b-ball to football as well, but he didn't have quite the skill to make it there in the NBA.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Interesting info amazing all 3 athletes in that area
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:01 am 

What are the chances 3 great athletes would be from the same area? I read an article about Iverson he can throw a baseball in the 90's.I also read about his legal troubles something to do with a bowling alley incident.Curry was the player of the year in basketball and football and I think Iverson was.Pretty amazing a little guy like Iverson can be so talented.Drew Henson was also no1 as a football and baseball player.They say he could hit Mark Mcgwire type of home runs and was also a good pitcher.Needless to say Henson as yet to do well in football and never could hit minor league pitching.

Curry is out again with a achilles heel problem will miss the rest of the year.Looks like his career is hampered by injuries.I guess vick was only good in football then? Must have been exciting seing all 3 guys play your high school football team.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:35 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Side note on this....Curry was the #1 HS football player AND the #1 HS basketball player.

Iverson and Aaron Brooks went to the same HS and were there at the same time. If I can find thier HS basketball team photo they are sitting next to each other I believe.

And Pudge, I think you're right.....I believe Vick was the 5th ranked QB coming out of HS.

That Hampton area is rich full of talent, Iverson, Brooks, Curry, both Vicks, Marques Hagans, Bryan Randall.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:18 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Only people to come out of my area are Jason Elam and Jeff Franceour (rookie OF for the Braves).

Unfortunately, it looks like Curry tore his left achilles tendon again this past weekend & it might be the end of his athletic career. A sad end to such a world of potential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:53 pm 

Sadly I think Travis Claridge is the best professional sports player to come out of the Vancouver area. Number two on that list is Dan Dickau.

From a "sport" that I don't consider a sport: Greg Biffle, NASCAR

Infamous sports icon: Tanya Harding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:15 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Nice dirty. What happened to Dickau? He looked like a star back in college if he's the same guy I'm thinking of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:36 am 

Iverson and Brooks did not go to the same HS. Iverson went to Bethel High in Hampton, VA while Brooks went to Ferguson in Newport News, VA.

Now, there was a lot of "recruiting" on the prep level in the area, so maybe they both went to the same high school when they were freshman and maybe sophomores, but I'm very positive that both graduated from separate high schools.

Iverson didn't play as a senior at Bethel due to legal issues revolving around the infamous bowling alley brawl (I have a friend that was a witness). But here are his stats from his junior year, where he lead his HS to the State Championship win:

1423 passing yards, 14 TDs
781 rushing yards, 15 TDs
5 TDs on kickoff returns
4 TDs on punt returns
8 interceptions

Pure speculation, but had he pursued a football career, he'd probably be an all-pro CB right now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:57 pm 

The_Incomparable wrote:
Nice dirty. What happened to Dickau? He looked like a star back in college if he's the same guy I'm thinking of.

Not sure what is up with Dickau. He was good in high school and lights out in college. Just one of those types that never develops at the pro level. Dickau does suffer from the "Damon Stoudamire Syndrom" in that anyone at or under 5'10" in the NFL never develops into anything. Only Bouges managed to do that ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:39 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Welcome to South Jersey where we produce talent such as....

Flipper Anderson (holds NFL record for most recieving yards in one game)

Kevin Ross (lives 5 minutes from my house)

Dorien Bryant (playmaker WR at Purdue)

Kevin Harvey (turned out to be a bust at Temple, heh, but easily one of the best HS football player NJ ever had)

Mike Mendenhall (best player Temple has now and will most likely get drafted due to his size and speed)

Mt. Bryant McKinnie (most likely best player we have produced)

And we also produced Dajuan Wagner for basketball.....

And even though its not SJ, Patrick Kerney was born and raised in Trenton. :D

And if your a Virginia fan Wali Lundy is from an area thats in dispute of whether its south jersey or north jersey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:49 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Iverson and Brooks did not go to the same HS. Iverson went to Bethel High in Hampton, VA while Brooks went to Ferguson in Newport News, VA.

You're probably right but I'm positive I've seen a picture of a basketball team and they were sitting next to each other. Now that I think about it, it was in a commercial a couple years ago. I think a Reebok commercial.

Pure speculation, but had he pursued a football career, he'd probably be an all-pro CB right now.

I'd have to disagree......Iverson has one of the worst work ethics in the entire sports arena. He simply refuses to practice most of the times. If you follow the sixers (like I do) you would know that there are two sets of rules. 1 set for the team, and 1 set for Iverson. Thats what eventually made Brown leave. It killed him that when everyone practiced their ass off, and Iverson CONSTANTLY showed up late and did nothing but dribble the ball on the sidelines while listening to his headphones, there was nothing he could do. Management wouldnt let him suspend him or sit him. One of Browns replacements did that and was fired within the week.

And I quote, "We talkin' bout practice!"

Also Iverson is 150 pounds soaking wet. We know he has a disdain for lifting weights so the chances of him making past week one are about 1:1000000000.

You an't question Iversons heart thought. When the game starts no one tries harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:05 pm 

Not to mention that Iverson is constantly injured. I don't see how he'd ever play more then 10 games in an NFL season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:43 pm 

vickisthebest wrote:
I'd have to disagree......Iverson has one of the worst work ethics in the entire sports arena.

Well I'm assuming 2 things:

1) Iverson would have crafted a stronger work ethic playing college football than he did playing college basketball. In the former case, he would have to wait 3 years to get the big $$$, while in the latter he was able to wait just 2 years (and probably didn't have to wait that long). Also it takes much more development to go from a HS player to a pro player in football than in basketball. So I'm assuming that given 3 years at some major football program, he would have developed a better work ethic than he shows now.

2) Playing football at a major division I school would have caused him to hit the weight room, so that he probably would have entered the NFL weighing something like 170-175 pounds, basically being the same size as Marvin Harrison and developing into a Deion Sanders-type DB in terms of abilities in run support.

But all this is pure speculation, because I recall none of the major Division I programs were willing to touch him with a 100-foot pole after his legal run-ins in HS besides Georgetown. And also, knowing Iverson's ego, he probably would not have been willing to play cornerback at a school such as UNC, Ohio State, or FSU. You're right in that the deck was stacked against him, but considering how gifted an athlete he was, that if he had said when he was 16 that he wanted to concentrate on football more than basketball, I think he would become a slightly different Allen Iverson as we know today, and would have become the next Deion Sanders.

vickisthebest wrote:
You're probably right but I'm positive I've seen a picture of a basketball team and they were sitting next to each other. Now that I think about it, it was in a commercial a couple years ago. I think a Reebok commercial.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was an AAU photo.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I saw Iverson play in one HS game. His team was playing E.C Glass in Lynchburg, Va (where I grew up) in a post season game. Iverson single handedly beat Glass. He threw for TDs, ran for TDs, and return kicks/punts for TDs. It was phenonanal.
I never saw Vick or Curry play, but Curry was the more sought after recruit. UVa and UNC both recruited Curry heavliy. He intially committed to Virginia, but then switched to UNC after the recruiting season. Virginia fans still have hard feelings even though Curry never did much in college. Meanwhile Va Tech was really the only school in the area going after Vick, and he as we all know repayed them by putting their program on the map.

This is my first visit here after registering a couple months ago. Nice site. I'm a Panthers fan, but I like to lurk around rival boards every now and then.

Post subject: Where is Deangelo Hall from?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:04 am 

I thought I read where he is from Chesapeake Bay ? where is that in relation to iverson,curry and vick from? How good of an athlete was deangelo in high school? What sports did he play? Was he super fast then?

Profile E-mail