It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Breakdown Week #2--Sorry it's so late!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:31 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Here's what I saw:

Offense:

Our o-line got outplayed physically on most of the runs. Very good discipline by Seattle limited Vick's running ability.

Vick was better than the 11/19, 123 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT and 0 fumbles would indicate.

Breakdown of passes: Of 8 incompletions, 5 were bad passes, 2 passes dropped by Jenkins, and 1 pass that wasn't a bad throw as it gave Jenkins a chance but Jenkins had to jump and could only manage fingertips on it despite his height. Not a play you expect to be made 100% of the time and certainly not a bad decision by Vick as it avoided a sack and gave us a chance at a 1st down.

Sack responsibility: Scheme on 1st sack. Classic example of what I tend to complain most about. Lehr immediately doubles McClure's guy (which shows that's the design) leaves a gap open for the MLB to shoot through and sack Vick. Duckett engaged another man who broke through. Although McClure doesn't get tagged in the stats you can look up for the sack, the DT call clearly opened the gap. Forney on 2nd: He held up for 3 seconds but Bernard finally won out. Vick on 3rd sack. He knew his hammy was hurt and went down instead of running. Can't blame him there.

Seattle didn't blitz more than 5 or 6 and used 8 in the box often.

Run blocking: Wasn't as stellar as it usually is. Holes weren't there mostly because of asking 5 to block 8 but then factor in the TE, WR's and FB and you expect them to pick up the slack. Didn't happen.

Pass blocking: Not bad at all.

Defense:

Run defense up the gut was pretty good except for delayed handoffs. It almost looked like we were indecisive of what to do on the delays.

Runs to outside killed us in the 1st half. Mostly looked like we were going straight to the ball instead of anticipating where Alexander was going and ended up overpursuing.

Pass coverage on WR's was awful in the 1st half and much better in the 2nd half. Coverage lacked in the 4th but Ingram fumbled to save their bacon.

D-line pretty much got outplayed by Seattle's line. Some decent pressure in the 2nd half.

Special Teams:

Bryant wasn't bad on kickoff returns, Fin seemed unsure of what to do on punt returns and D. Hall is Prime Time on punt returns. 1 return and Seattle was scared to kick to him anymore.

Koenen kicked off very well with 3 great kickoffs and 1 squib that went to the 5. Outstanding job. Punting, he had 7 good punts. He has a great leg with awesome net ability. Must work on pinning technicque. He had 2 touchbacks (although i won't complain about the 67 yarder...lol).

In all honesty, if Vick's hammy had been healthy I feel very confident he'd have gotten us into position to at least tie the game. Had we played just halfway decent in the 1st half we'd have had a great shot. We really seemed to struggle with 3rd down conversions in the 1st half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:21 pm 

We never should have surrendered that Touchdown at halftime. They punched in like 1 minute I think? Complete breakdown on the pass defense. We should have won that game even with the horrible first half. Had we held going into halftime it would have been 17 to 14 Falcons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:30 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Morton got absolutely torched by Jeremy Stevens for that TD...ugh!

Post subject: recap
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Thanks for the recap, Cap, it really helps me put an emotional game in focus. Awesome job!

MF1

Post subject: Re: recap
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:37 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
Thanks for the recap, Cap, it really helps me put an emotional game in focus. Awesome job!

MF1

My pleasure. I'll be doing this each week (hopefully earlier than this one!)...