McKay

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

starley657
All-Pro
All-Pro

McKay

Postby starley657 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:59 pm

Here is something from profootballtalk.com

DOUBLE STANDARD FOR MCKAY?

In the wake of the supposedly "new rules" passed by the NFL to keep team officials from riding the refs prior to a given game, there is strong suspicion in league circles that Falcons G.M. Rich McKay was the beneficiary of a double standard.

Prior to the September 12 Monday nighter between Atlanta and Philly, both McKay and Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie were in the ears of the zebras after Falcons cornerback Kevin Mathis and Eagles linebacker Jeremiah Trotter got together for a pre-game scrum. In the wake of that incident, the NFL sent out a memo explaining that only the head coach is permitted to engage in discussions with the officiating crew.

Although characterized as a "new rule," a league source tells us that the rules already on the books prohibit such activities.

League insiders believe that if the offending party had been Matt Millen or Mike Lombardi or Mickey Loomis or basically anyone whose name isn't "Rich McKay" or "Bill Polian," a fine would have been imposed. Since McKay is the chair of the competition committee, the apparent Commish-in-waiting, and the self-proclaimed guardian of the league's integrity, the belief is that he got a pass.

Lurie got one, too, of course, since it would have been impossible for the league to smack the Eagles owner on the knuckles without doing the same thing to McKay for engaging in the same behavior on the same night.

FalconsAreTheBest
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby FalconsAreTheBest » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:08 pm

Point? :?

starley657
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby starley657 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:37 pm

Point? I don't really have one. I was just posting an article I found on McKay that's all. I just like to pass on tidbits I find on the internet.

MarylandFalcon1
Superstar
Superstar

Well

Postby MarylandFalcon1 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:39 pm

Well I enjoyed it, even if there wasn't a point. Good to know someone on the Falcons is thought of in 'high regard' by anyone in this league.

MF1

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:42 pm

Double standards are welcomed if it helps the Falcons.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

MadBirdMike
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MadBirdMike » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:37 pm

Pudge wrote:Double standards are welcomed if it helps the Falcons.

As long as it is not too blatant. I don't want our teams reputation to ride on too many gimmes. THese guys play good and deserve all the accolades they get.

Return to “The Huddle”