It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finn and the start
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We all know that Vick has the best chemistry with Crump and Finn and it showed today. Finn, although not a speed guy, is better than R. White (for the moment) and certainly Dez White. He should continue to start until R White is ready. With him in the game Vick got into a fast flow and looked awesome for most of the game. Even Jenkins stepped it up once Vick was 'feeling it' with throws to Finn and Crump. This game did prove one thing, that Vick can throw against a second tier defense. Let's hope this is the start of something great and that we see the development in Vick that has been lacking under Knapp in the last year and a quarter.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:23 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Do you think Finn should start even if Dez White is healthy? Roddy should remain the 4th receiver until he proves otherwise. I know the Falcons are trying to work him into 5-10 snaps per game, and it's a good plan.

I also think it's time we see White back on kick returns becuase Bryant was atrocious this past week.

I thought it was going to be another bad day for "Clutchy Butterfingers" after that first drop, but he turned around and had a good game.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:25 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I agree with Maryland... Finn should be the #2 for now, even if Dez comes back healthy. I'm not saying that he's a better reciever than Dez or Roddy, he just gives us the best chance to win (right now). He runs solid routes, has solid hands, and just seems to get open and make things happen when Mike is in trouble.

I would be suprised if he isn't the starter next week regardless of Dez's health.

Post subject: Finn
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You know I was thinking, he has been in the league for 7 years and will never be a star, but the title 'crafty veteran' is starting to crop into my mind for him. He understands the game and can find a way to get open for those first downs. We need a guy like that as you can't just sit around hoping your 'bombs' will be caught for 40+ yards all the time.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:27 pm 

I called this one at the beginning of the season. Vick has favorites and there is no reason we shouldn't be starting Finneran. Vick has great chemistry with him and Finneran although he isn't an elite receiver makes everyone better because he knows how to handle Vick's bullets. More importantly it builds Vick's confidence and makes the secondary start to respect the passing game.

It should be Jenkins, Finneran, Dez, Roddy, Romby. Dez White is no better then Fin just faster and with more questionable hands. Finneran was clutch all night last night. Infact Finneran has been our best #1 receiver since the Vick era began. The only year Finneran started his numbers were better then any of those posted by Dez White or Peerless Price. Finneran should start.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Me AND you Dirty called it from preseason. "Clutchy Butterfingers" has come alive when we needed him most.

MF1

Post subject: Re: Finn
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:10 pm 

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
Me AND you Dirty called it from preseason. "Clutchy Butterfingers" has come alive when we needed him most.

MF1

That's right Maryland! From hence forth I will refer to Finneran as Clutchy Butterfingers or just Clutchy. I forgot about that. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

"CB" (heh) made one of the most acrobatic catches I have ever seen yesturday. When he made that catch....... :shock: I just......... :shock:

Was that Finny or a tall lanky white Lynn Swan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:21 pm 

Just an FYI for everyone on how well Clutchy handled the #1 spot (even though he was more or less a scrub at the time).

2002: The Vick era officially begins and Clutchy is annointed #1 receiver
Clutchy: 56 Receptions for 838 Yards and 6 TD's at 15 YPC.

2003: Peerless Price joins the Falcons off of a 1200 yard receiving year.
Price: 64 Receptions for 838 Yards and 3 Touchdowns at 13.1 YPC (Yes 8 more receptions for the same yardage, 3 less touchdowns and 1.9 YPC less).

2004: Crumpler becomes Vick's favorite target
Crumpler: 48 Receptions for 774 Yards and 6 TD's at 16.1 YPC (so far only Crumpler was on pace to beat Clutchy's numbers).

2005: Jenkins begins to emerge as a #1
Jenkins thus far: 7 Receptions for 119 Yards at 17.1 YPC (Bills game not included)

As you can see since 2002 Clutchy was the best #1 this team has had thus far. Now I'm not saying he's a #1 anymore as he is on the downside of a not so spectacular career. But I can't help but wonder if we gave up on Clutchy too soon.

Oddity to note: Looking at Pro Football Reference.com I noted that our best offensive and defense rankings since Vick came to Atlanta were under Dan Reeves and ironically Clutchy was our #1 recevier!

2002 (Reeves & Clutchy): Offensive Scoring: 5th, Offensive Yardage: 14th, Defense (Points Allowed): 8th, Defense Yards Allowed: 24th

The best under the Mora regime thus far are: Offensive Scoring: 16th, Offensive Yardage: 18th, Defense (Points Allowed): 14th, Defense Yards Allowed: 14th

Odd ain't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:27 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Jenks is on pace for 43 catches 800 yards 18.8 avg and 5 TDs.

Finny is leading our team in catches with 11. (Crump has 10 & Jenk has 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:30 pm 

vickisthebest wrote:
Jenks is on pace for 43 catches 800 yards 18.8 avg and 5 TDs.

Finny is leading our team in catches with 11. (Crump has 10 & Jenk has 8)

Conclusive... Jenkins is the deep threat, Clutchy is the steady veteran, and Crumpler is the emergency valve.

Me thinks that with Clutchy as the starting flanker we'll see Vick use Crumpler as an emergency valve a lot less and look to Clutchy instead.

Post subject: Happy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Nothing makes me more happy than this thread! I love the new Avatar Dirty, it rocks! Please let the Falcons see this Finn trend and the numbers he creates. If they start Dez instead of Finn I will go off.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:51 pm 

Not to go too far off the deep end. But could Finneran have been the biggest waste for the Falcons? He had a solid season as the #1 and no real reason to knock him all the way down to #3 just because we got Dez White & Peerless Price. Everytime since that Finneran has had a chance to start he's proven himself.

He is also the most acrobatic receiver we have on the team. I wish Clutchy was in his mid twenties instead of 29. Of course he hasn't seen any major work at the NFL level until 2000 so he only has 5 years of abuse on him. He could play into his late 30's.

Interesting Clutchy Notes:
- His #25 jersey has been retired at Villanova as he owns the school records for receptions (265), Yards (3,872), and Touchdowns (34).
- Won AA's equivilent to the Heisman Trophy aka the Walter Payton award given to the top offensive player in Division AA.
- All-American with 96 Receptions 1,389 Yards and 19 TD's in a single season.
- Signed by the Seaducks in 97 as a UFA and then cut
- Play in NFL Europe in 99 were he notched 54 receptions for 844 yards and 8 TD's.
- Won player of the week in NFL Europe with 7 receptions for 205 yards and 3 TD's.
- Signed with the Iggles in 99 and had his first NFL reception from Doug Pederson for 10 yards against Zona.
- Signed by Atlanta in 2000
- Ironically blocked a Todd Peterson field goal in the tie game with Pittsburgh.

This thread should be called Clutchy Love :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:12 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

You guys may have called it before now, but I was calling for Finn to start before last season started...lol

The guy isn't great, and his hands aren't top notch, but Vick trusts him and that is what counts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:35 pm 

No Fair!

I went to start my custom franchise and I traded for Finneran and forgot he has crap ass hands. The gave him a CTH of 72 in Madden 06.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:42 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Meanwhile Ed Reed has a CTH of 82...lmao...I put him on every franchise I make now, heh.

Post subject: CB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Clutchy Butterfingers, lol, we all made that call... even Madden it seems (although they should bump his numbers on 3rd and long :) )

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:18 pm 

Well through 2 games with Finneran as my starting flanker on my custom team he has 11 receptions for 178 yards and 2 TD's. I have Schuab at quarterback (Traded the fake madden rookies for Schuab, Finneran, and Beck -- Beck always turns into a 90 OLB within 3 seasons starting) and signed Freddie Mitchell as my burner who is averaging about 22 YPC.

Sad thing is that on the All-Pro setting with a team that averages 76 overall I can still smoke the Eagles; on Madden I get crushed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:46 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

All-Madden setting causes the game to go into cheat mode. You'll routinely see 80ovr corners cover Randy Moss and other such nonsense. From what I've read at football-freaks.com when the game plays in All-Madden it adjust ratings on the fly, making the players for the computer play way over their heads & your players play flat consistently. Most people play All-Pro & adjust the sliders to up the difficulty.

BTW, Roddy White is a good WR to pickup for a young burner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:59 pm 

Interesting notes... I guess I'll go back to All-Pro and push the CPU stats up. I usually trade for most my roster but in the real NFL that doesn't really happen much. I'm trying to keep it realistic. I have Az Hakim as my burner and he's lights out.

I usually try to sign youngs guys with ratings in the upper 70's during the off-season and build via the draft. It takes 3 to 4 seasons but I'm pretty unstoppable once everyone matures. Then it's a balancing act of keeping the good vets around an a flow of young replacement talent. Makes the game a bit more challanging. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Here is what was said about him in TSN.

"WR Brian Finneran runs excellent routes and accommodates Vick's improvisations. Finneran has outplayed Roddy White and Dez White to emerge as a dependabe starter..."

Good one, I mean do they realize the guy already was a 'dependable starter' in 02? Still, they have echoed all our comments about the guy.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Quote
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

This has nothing to do with the Falcons but my favorite quote about recievers this week was by Carson Palmer about Chad Johnson.

"I knew he had good feet, but I didn't know he could Riverdance"

MF1

J. Mora JR.