It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Here's hoping the Eagles trounce the Pats
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:41 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Here are my reasons, and I apologize now because I know my statements will be viewed as controversial/inflammatory, so they are not made with intention of opening up that can of worms, but it's just basically what I feel inside.

1. The NFC has gotten no love. All week long we've been hearing the pundits say the AFC Championship was the true Super Bowl, since it involved the 2 best teams. They said the same last year, and the Panthers almost upset the Pats in the big one. I really hope the Eagles beat the Pats, so all those stupid pundits will have their traps shut and it will show that the NFC is just as good as the great AFC.

2. Let the controversy begin, but I want to see McNabb, the black QB finally to beat the white prototype in Tom Brady. My dislike for Brady has nothing to do with his race mind you, but rather everything to do with the Golden Boy status he gets from the media. Besides Doug Williams, no black QB has ever won a Super BOwl, and from what I recall the year Williams won it, it wasn't he who led the Redskins to the big game, but just him that actually won it for them (much like Hostetler with the Giants in '90). I think McNabb getting a ring will finally erase any notion of the inferiority of the black QB. I think that notion has become almost completely eliminated over the past several years, but it just becomes the final nail in the coffin.

3. I'd feel even better about the season if I knew we had lost to the Super Bowl Champions rather than the runners up, that many would say was the 3rd best team in the league.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Sorry Pudge I have a different opinion
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:54 pm 

The Eagle's got the monkey off there back by winning yesterday by I am going to have to root for the Patriot's having no allegiance with the NFC. I know the eagle's have knocked on the door so many years but it is the way the Eagle's beat the falcon's that I dispise.It is one thing beating a team and being gracious but another when you have guys like Dawkins and Trotter running there mouths before and after the game that I don't like.You don't here this from the Patriot's even though they have won 2 out 3 Super Bowls.There is a way to win without rubbing in your face and a way to lose without pouting.Reasons I like the Patriots

1.They are a blue collar team that wins not by big names but there system.You can't argue with there success.
2.Tom Brady - until another QB comes and proves he is better then I have to go with him over Mcnabb
3.The environment of the Patriot's -never do you here any of there players run there mouths although Rodney Harrison did say something about there team not getting respect.
4.Maybe if the patriot's win big the Eagles will be humbled,finally the Eagle players hopefully will be humbled.Terrell Owens,Dawkins,and Trotter are 3 players that need to be quiet let there play on the field matter more than the off the field comments.
5.Eagle fans -some say it is great having fans this passionate but eagle fans are flakey.If you lose they turn on you if you win your the greatest thing since slice bread.All we heard all week was them complaining they get no respect,they are so frustrated et cetc....I can't stand fans that have been to 4 straight league championships and whine about no respect.If they can't be gracious in defeat I sure don't want them winning the Super Bowl.
6.If Mcnabb were on another team I would root for him but since he is an eagle I am going to have to go for the other team.

I know your going for the Eagle's but after yesterday's beating and the way the Patriot's win I am going for the Patriot's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:18 pm 

I have no love for the Eagles, but I would love to see them upset the Patriots just to stick it to the talking heads and pundits.

One thing that has continued to grow over the past few years, is how much I loathe ESPN. Really, the only thing on that channel that is worth anything is PTI. Around the Horn, I also find entertaining, but really other than those 2 shows, I would probably boycott the channel if not for its monopoly on sports broadcasting.

Although I respect the opinions/intelligence/ability of many of the analysts on ESPN: Tom Jackson, Merril Hoge, Ron Jaworski (although he's a bit too much of a Philly homer for me at times), just to name a few, I think they spend too much of their time hyping up the greatness of a few individuals around the league, and when those individuals turn out to perform at crappy levels, there is no accountability from these guys, admitted that their beloved "Golden Boys" aren't as good as they really make them out to be.

These golden boys IMO are Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, just to name a few. The very fact that some ESPN analysts believe Favre to be a Top 3 QB of all-time is quite laughable to me. Sure, I consider Favre to be a Top 10 guy, probably around #7 or #8, but IMO, the difference between that position and say #3 is huge. Favre is not in the same class as Elway, Marino, and Montana (my Top 3). Favre has lost just as many games in Green Bay as he has won. Can people really say that about those other elite 3? Of course all 3 of these guys will likely end their careers in the Hall of Fame, and I'm not saying they don't deserve to go, but putting these 3 "golden boys" in the same class as the 3 all-time greats is just not ready yet.

To me ESPN has descended into the other media outlets that are continually criticized for focusing on what "sells" or gets ratings rather than what is truly objective journalism and news reporting.

And I can't wait to hear the excuses they try to make if/when the Eagles beat the Patriots, whom so many of these pundits consider to be the greatest dynasties in football history.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Good points let me throw another bone at this
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:11 pm 

I can understand you not liking ESPN but let me say this on behalf of the Golden boys annoited by ESPN.Farve,Brady,Manning 2 out of 3 have won multiple super bowls and until a QB wins a super bowl and puts his team consistently in the playoffs and eventually over the hump there will be critics on the QB.I live in Indiana and Manning has gotten alot of criticism that he can't win against the patriots.He just happens to be breaking every QB record there is yet still has a 1000 pound gorilla to carry around.Mcnabb,Vick,Culpepper if any of these QBs break through and win a super bowl and conintue to put there team in the running for a championship then they will be on the list of Farve,Brady.Jake Delhomme is not on the list since we see the panthers despite there injuires not making the playoffs,pennington couldn't win vs the steelers although very good.

I guess I am sore at the Eagle's beating the falcon's and what was said before and after the game makes me angry at the eagle's.If they would have won without all there boasting and arrogance then I would be rooting for philly.Tampa Bay and Philly are the 2 teams I want to see the falcon's beat consistently.This was year one in the rebuilding if mckay can do as much as last year next year provided knapp's system works will be much better.Remember also Carolina will be much tougher with Steve Smith and Davis back,terrell owens will be back so the pressure is on the falcon's management to get some players.

Still going for philly I want to see them hurt as much as they beat the falcon's the last 2 out of 4 yrs.If Philly is humbled in the super bowl then I may change allegiance in the future.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:29 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Brady has looked very Montana-esque in the post season. Hard to knock a guy that wins at that clip.

I will be rooting for the Eagles simply because I'm loyal to the NFC unless 2 conditions are met:

1) If the 49ers or Cowboys are the representative then it's AFC for me

OR

2) If the Steelers are in it and then I will root for them over anyone other than the Falcons of course...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:29 am 

I really don't have a big beef with the Brady-Montana comparisons as much, because I think both players are very similar. Montana was surrounded by some of the best offensive talent ever assembled, and Brady has been aided by one of the better defenses of the time period.

But the Manning-Marino comparisons irk me a bit. Marino went to a Super Bowl in his 2nd year, and IMO did more with much less than Manning has had. Marino, during his entire career in Miami, only had a 1000-yard rusher once (Karim Abdul Jabbar in 1996), and the Dolphins defense thru the 1980s was consistently among the league's worst. And at WR, Clayton, Duper, Fryar, and McDuffie were not in the same class as Marvin Harrison is/was. I'm not trying to say that Manning is not the best Qb in the league right now, because I believe he is, particularly with the decline in play of Steve McNair this past year. I will say that Manning is shaping up to be this generation's Marino, and I agree you can make comparisons, but too many people are going the extra step and putting Manning on the same plane as Marino, which I think is very wrong.

As for Favre, he's 1-1 in the Super Bowl, and although he's one of the toughest QBs to ever play the game, I wouldn't exactly put him in the same breath as Marino/Elway/Montana. I think it's pretty interesting that Favre's Super Bowl years, he had arguably the greatest defender of all-time leading that defense in Reggie White.

I just think that these 3 "golden boys" are slightly overrated. HOFers yes, but all-time greats? Not quite yet. I mean I'm excluded guys like Jim Kelly, Bradshaw, Namath, Unitas, Young, Aikman, Tarkenton, and Dawson, who I think in almost all those cases you could make an argument that any of those guys could be placed above the 3 aforementioned golden boys.

Profile E-mail