It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intersting Poll on SI.com
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:44 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Which quarterback would you like to build a franchise around. 21,000 + have voted, so it's a good sample size:

Which QB would you want to start an NFL franchise with?

Eli Manning 13% 2911 votes
Peyton Manning 34% 7359 votes
Tom Brady 27% 5928 votes
Ben Roethlisberger 16% 3467 votes
Michael Vick 9% 1921 votes
Total: 21586 votes

And yes 'Comp, Angry did vote for Vick. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

lol I don't know why people wouldn't choose Brady #1 though. He is a proven postseason stud. I think Vick could do the same in the next couple of years though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:29 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Brady is a steady solid QB, but I'd take Manning before I took him...Vick would be a good QB too...all abilities aside he'd put butts in the seats and that's an important part of running a franchise....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:08 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

If I put a franchise together I would want to win the big games & nobody does that better than Brady. Manning, we know, falls apart in some big games & the Falcons have not been good enough to let Vick carry them past the Eagles. I guess the same could be said for Manning though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:11 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Brady has had a lot more help on defense than Manning....Manning is the better QB by far IMO....that said I may be a little biased because I hate Tom Brady...I don't see what everyone else sees when they say he's one of the greats...I may be missing something but I just don't see it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Steve-O wrote:
....that said I may be a little biased because I hate Tom Brady...I don't see what everyone else sees when they say he's one of the greats...I may be missing something but I just don't see it...

What makes Tom Brady great are his intagibles. He's not the biggest guy in the league, he's not the fastest and he doesn't have the strongest arm. But he has "it". His head is always in the game and he always makes the right decision. He's got great pocket presence and know where everyone is on the field.

Like him or not, he wins. And we are talking winning the big games. It doesn't matter if it's indoors, outdoors snow rain or a sunny day. Nothing rattles the guy and his teammates feed off of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:15 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

When you need a good game from Brady, you usually get it. You can't say the same for Peyton. Another thing I like about Brady is that in each of the past 3 years, he's had a different guy as the leading receiver. Unlike Peyton, he isn't really locked into one guy. I think it's clear that Deion Branch is his main weapon, but if Branch went down, I don't think you would see Brady's numbers slip like say if Harrison went down in Indy.

But if I'm a GM picking in an expansion draft, and hypothetically speaking, all the starting QBs were available for me to pick. Here's the order I would choose them to build my franchise around:

1. Tom Brady - 3 Super Bowl rings in 4 years. It's just that simple.
2. Eli Manning - I think he is more physically talented than his brother, and even if he works and studies half as hard as Peyton, he is destined for NFL greatness.
3. Peyton Manning - Has yet to get over the hump in the playoffs, but at least you can be 99% sure that you can get there and have as much a chance as anybody to win with him under center.
4. Donovan McNabb - I'm one of those people that believe he is underrated as a player. He carried his offense for 3 whole years in the same way that Vick did (or does) ours. And frankly, he's had better results.
5. Ben Roethlisberger - still growing and learning as a player, but he already has shown that he can lead that Steeler team and is a playmaker.
6. Michael Vick - what makes Vick here is that he's just too inconsistent. With exception to Eli, all the guys listed ahead of him win more and all are much more consistent throwing the ball than Vick.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:48 pm 
Starter
Starter

In the the words of Al Davis, "Just win baby" and that is what Tom Brady does. He does what ever is need of him to win, if he needs to throw 350yrd and 4tds, he can, but if he just needs 200yrds and no turn-overs he will give you that too. That is what is so special about Brady.