It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcs are 5-2 but have faced teams with only a 22-29 record!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:48 am 

Not to be the barer of bad news but I was looking a the Falcon's record and going over who they have faced in terms of competition,faced 3 teams 500 or in won/ loss and 4 teams below 500.I then checked the stats as far as those teams won/loss total records.The Falcon's have faced teams that are a combined 22-29 record.I'll take the 5-2 record but it does worry me some that the 5-2 record seems padded.

The second half better go alot better in beating teams over 500.Will see thought I would just point out this stat to everyone.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:06 am 

It's a down year in the NFL over all. There are precious few good times for some reason this year. A lot of records seem inflated based on schedule. We've actually witnessed the quality of football drop this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:39 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

too many injuries...the NFL should let them use steroids...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:45 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The times the Falcons have looked like an elite team have been few and far between this year. But I think Vick is going to play better down the stretch, and so will our defense. By season's end, I don't expect all our problems to be solved, but they shouldn't be as big problems.

We have only 3 more games against "soft" Ds (Packers, LIons and Saints), so the offense will have their work cut out for them.

An interesting stat I noticed/created: Passing Efficiency. I basically found the percentage of times a team threw the ball that resulted in a first down.

The Falcons were not ranked as poorly as you would have expected, ranking 20th in the league. Which put us right in the middle, about 19% more effective than the lowest ranked team (49ers) and 21% less effective than the highest ranked (Colts).

And interestingly, 4 of our opponents are ranked below us: Bucs (22nd), Bears (27th), Lions (30th) and Dolphins (31st). So that should help our secondary since half our remaining games come against teams that don't throw the ball very well.

But we face the Panthers (7th), Packers (10th), and Saints (15th) as well, all ranked ahead of us. So those are the games that I suspect will be the biggest tests for our secondary.

This is currently a good team despite all the criticisms others and myself have thrown at the team in recent weeks. It's just that it is capable of so much more.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:43 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

there really are not all that many "good" teams this year...even the undefeated Colts have been mediocre in some games. I wonder what the problem really is...seems like a lot more penalties this year too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:45 pm 

The Zebras are running wild.

I'm blaming the Raiders for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:15 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I feel that they might have solved the run defense's issues against Curtis Martin and the Jets. If this is in fact the case and we have a chance of getting healthy, I think the defense will be their normally stingy selves. The offense still needs to get the passing game going, but the running game and Vick having time to get healthy will go a long way towards our chances of being successful. There are still enough questions that it could go the opposite direction, but I honestly don't see that happening. We also could have a couple tough games that we could lose. Either way, they needed this bye in order to have a chance at fixing things and being ready to dominate in the second half of the season. We need to dominate if we hope to position ourselves well for the playoffs (or make the playoffs for that matter!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:20 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

heh

Definition of Irony = Before the season people saying we have the hardest schedule in the NFL, could quite possibly start out 0-5,0-6, we'd be lucky to be 9-7,8-8. Now, at 5-2, the same people are saying we have one of the easiest schedule.

LMFAO, heh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

vickisthebest wrote:
heh

Definition of Irony = Before the season people saying we have the hardest schedule in the NFL, could quite possibly start out 0-5,0-6, we'd be lucky to be 9-7,8-8. Now, at 5-2, the same people are saying we have one of the easiest schedule.

LMFAO, heh

I predicted a 9-7 record, at best 10-6. I still stand by it, regardless of strength of schedule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:29 pm 

I don't know if the defense solved the run defense. I think having Demorrio at weakside and Boley on the strong side helps. Although I don't think Keith in the middle solves any problems we had before he moved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:11 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

We're not going to be a lot of help, guys, with that. We're only 3-4. We did beat the Broncos and the Panthers at home though.

Phinfever Blog