It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Culpepper's career threatened
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:49 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It was announced that Daunte Culpepper tore 3 of his 4 ligaments in his knee: ACL, PCL, and MCL. That's a major knee injury, almost approaching the degree that almost cost Robert Edwards his leg back in 1999. As you may recall, Edwards also severed an artery and suffered major nerve damage. Fortunately for Culpepper it wasn't that severe.

But his mobility is likely to be limited for the remainder of his career. Do I suspect him to transform into Bledsoe after this? No, but he won't be the same runner that he is now or was before it.

This is an injury that I know many are saying is going to be a year's worth of recovery, and I'm sure for the Viking faithful that the Vikings will continue to make statements that Culpepper will return at some point in 2006. But a "simple" ACL tear takes at least 18 months before a player is really back to 100%. Add to that he has two additional tears, and I'm no doctor, but I would really say that Culpepper won't approach a form of previous caliber for another 2.5 years. That would likely mean that he really won't be the Dautne Culepper we've respected over the years until the 2008 season.

I'm won't doubt that he'll actually play a few snaps next season, but he won't be 100%.

It's a shame that Culpepper at the peak of his carer, would suffer this type of devastating injury that is going to take 2-3 years to fully recover. Especially when you consider the circumstances surrounding it with Chris Gamble arguably going after Pep's knees. I'm sure the NFL is going to debate this heavily come off-season, and consider making a rule that will prevent defenders from purposefully going after a QB's knees. I'm sure there are rules already on the books about the sort of thing, but I suspect the NFL is going to tighten down, much the same as they did with the horse collar tackle and the helmet to helmet hits in past years.

It also looks like the bottom is falling out on that Viking team. They lose Moss in the off-season, which I think was not as big a loss as their next two. They lose Matt Birk, who along with Culpepper was the heart and soul of that offense. Birk is arguably the league's best center, and I personally believe contributed more to the Vikings in recent years than Moss did. Now they lose Culpepper. Not to mention whatever fallout results from the infamous sex cruise.

Brad Johnson is going to take over, and I see most observers giving up on the Vikings. I think Johnson is an underrated QB that is more than capable of leading any team to the playoffs. The Giants and Steelers are the only remaining teams on their schedule that look like rock-solid playoff prospects.

You wonder what the Vikings do for the short-term at QB after the season. Do they stick with Johnson (assuming he is decent down the stretch) or do they go after another young QB to develop until Culpepper returns?

Is Minnesota another team that we should add to the list as potential (although I still believe the possibility is low) destinations for Matt Schaub?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:02 pm 

I'm just curious why everyone is so hellbent on trading away Schuab? He may be very happy sitting on the bench backing up Vick. Not likely but it's possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:54 pm 

I too would like to keep Schaub, and I know it doesn't sound like it since I seem to bring it up every other day, but I don't believe he will be traded.

But at the same time, short of Vick suffering a similar injury as Culpepper in the near future, he is not going to be a Falcon for very much longer. His contract runs out after the 2006 season. And at the point, if we want to keep him we're going to have pay him something like $1.5 milion to stick around.

And Schaub is a quality backup, arguably the best in the league under the age of 25, but I also believe that there are plenty of quality backup QBs out there that can be just as or nearly as effective as Schaub in this offense. So I don't think we have to pigeonhole ourselves with Schaub being the #2.

For example, 2 QBs that I think could be very good behind Vick that will be UFAs after this season are Sage Rosenfels and Josh McCown. Both mobile QBs with pretty good arms.

I also think you have to consider when can we get the best value for Schaub. It's moot of course if my suspicions are correct and the market for Schaub is not very strong. But also in the back of my mind, I realize that this off-season, moreso than others, is potentially one where there is a lot of movement of QBs with so many teams potentially on the lookout for their next franchise passer. Of course, who is available in the draft will determine a lot of the trade market. But like the case is for Duckett, looking at last year's off-season, the RB market was much stronger than it probably will be this year. Most teams that had RB issues last spring solved them in some shape or form. We could have gotten better value for Duckett if we dumped him last year, as opposed to this year. It's just striking while the iron is hot.

I don't want to see Schaub go as of now, but I don't think it's going to hurt at all for the Falcons to shop him after the season. In fact, it will only help both teams.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I heard on sportscenter that Minny may already be looking for a QB of the future. I think it was Mort that said they would either draft a QB or try and sign a young vet (if there is such a thing). Pep should be fine as a QB still. Running isint as important to him as it is to Vick.

And I do think we trade Shaub eventually. We will give him a tender when his contract is up and as long as we dont give Shaub the highest tender I think a team will part with a draft pick or two to get him. As long as it isint a 1st rounder.

We better trade him because I guarentee a team will give him a shot to start and we better get something in return.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Does anyone else think that was a dirty hit? Honestly they need to make rules about tackling too low from a blind spot. The number of injuries is rapidly increased and I have already seen a few that were dirty looking (Pepper, Griese, Big Ben to name a few). All of these injuries were the result of a tackler coming in low & out of control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Comp wrote:
Does anyone else think that was a dirty hit?

Yes and no. I don't like the injuries, but on the other side of the coin, Pepper is a big guy and the only way to get him down is hitting him at the knees.

Our very own D. Hall is a knee hitter as well if you watch closely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

vickisthebest wrote:
I heard on sportscenter that Minny may already be looking for a QB of the future. I think it was Mort that said they would either draft a QB or try and sign a young vet (if there is such a thing). Pep should be fine as a QB still. Running isint as important to him as it is to Vick.

And I do think we trade Shaub eventually. We will give him a tender when his contract is up and as long as we dont give Shaub the highest tender I think a team will part with a draft pick or two to get him. As long as it isint a 1st rounder.

We better trade him because I guarentee a team will give him a shot to start and we better get something in return.

culpepper singed a 10 year 103 million dollar contract in 2003, per the Vikes ESPN board. i asked with this in mind. unlikely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:23 am 
Rookie
Rookie

vickisthebest wrote:

Before this injury, there suppossedly were rumblings of the Vikings trading Culpepper to Arizona to reunite him with Dennis Green.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:23 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Those of us who drafted him in our FFL's have regretted the move since the first game. I wonder if his stats are the worst freefall considering he went from 39td/11int to 6td/12int in just one season.

Phinfever Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:07 pm 

Big Dave wrote:
Those of us who drafted him in our FFL's have regretted the move since the first game. I wonder if his stats are the worst freefall considering he went from 39td/11int to 6td/12int in just one season.

Manning is currently experience an epic collapse from his prior seasons numbers. On pace for roughly 3,500 yards passing, 25 TD's and something like 14 Interceptions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:42 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Manning is currently experience an epic collapse from his prior seasons numbers. On pace for roughly 3,500 yards passing, 25 TD's and something like 14 Interceptions.

Not even close to the pain that Culpepper has caused fantasy owners. Manning has had a few good games already, and will have at least a few more (most likely having a couple during fantasy playoff time late in the regular season). Culpepper played like crap from the start, putting up one good game, and is out for the season because of yet another dirty hit by Chris Gamble. Gamble should be suspended & have a massive fine put on him, but the NFL is too busy letting yellow flags fly on weak slaps to QB's helmets in the pocket instead of protecting what actually gets seriously hurt on most QB's, their legs. It's time for the NFL to quit focusing on the Steve Young/Troy Aikman's of the world & focus more on the nastiness that is Theismann, Culpepper, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:42 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

i won my league last year. this year i 'steal' manning at #6. i'm 3-5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:34 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

With Vick being so injury prone, i would definatly love to keep schaub around...i dont want another doug johnson/kurt kitner duo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:04 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

GSUTeke wrote:
dirtybirdnw wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

i won my league last year. this year i 'steal' manning at #6. i'm 3-5.

You should have picked up Dunn in the 3rd round. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:20 pm 

I took Manning in the first round on both my squads and neither are doing good. I added a third team and took backs and receivers first then a quarterback and I'm in first place.

Never again will I draft a highly vaunted QB.