It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The future of Simeon Rice
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:31 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Think back a few years ago and because of issues between coach and player, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers dismissed Keyshawn Johnson from the team.

A very similar thing happened last week with Simeon Rice. Rice has been in the Bucs doghouse for quite some time and probably has been making more negative headlines over the past 2 years than anything else, despite recording 12 sacks in 2004 and being on pace for 12.5 this year, which would mean 5 straight seasons of double digit sacks (which I'd wager is probably the best in the league).

There were rumors back in February that the Bucs would dump Rice because of his high salary and the fact that only a few years after signing a record contract for a defensive player (I believe his was the first $20 million signing bonus for any player), he was asking for a new deal. Around draft time, rumors surfaced that a deal sending Rice to San Diego was in the works, but it was quickly denied by Rice's agent and the Bucs.

The question I guess I now pose is that if Rice is somehow released or put on the trading block during this upcoming off-season, how hard should the Falcons go after him?

McKay was the one that gave him his 5-year. $41 million contract back in March 2003.

But Rice has had a questionable work ethic in recent years. He was dismissed from the 2003 Pro Bowl team because he failed to show up for practice and now was 90 minutes late for a meeting. After reportedly shaking off his primadonna attitude that he had in Arizona when he first arrived in Tampa in 2001.

As I recall, the Bucs gave up a #1 to Arizona for Rice back in 2001. Do you think McKay is willing to do the same again to a division rival in 2006?

Rice would be a great addition to our defense, adding that speed first mentality to an extreme level. Could you imagine a D-line consisting of Rice, Coleman, and Kerney?

But then you weigh the costs, and can the Falcons afford Rice? Or should they instead rely on young guys like Chauncey Davis and/or a early round draft pick in 2006?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:05 pm 

Rice would be a nice addition but do we want to drop a first rounder for a 31 year old player? If we went for Rice this off-season that would tell me that Atlanta is going for broke in the terms of Super Bowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:31 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Rice would be a nice addition but do we want to drop a first rounder for a 31 year old player? If we went for Rice this off-season that would tell me that Atlanta is going for broke in the terms of Super Bowl.

I definitely would not. Especially when you consider that he is a locker room problem on a team that, shall we say, is not too worried with those sorts of things. No thanks for Mr. Rice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:44 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

No thanks for Mr. Rice.

Ditto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:40 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

vickisthebest wrote:
No thanks for Mr. Rice.

Ditto

Rice dissed Pat Tillman on the Jim Rome show when Pat first joined the army and went off to boot camp. he should be tied and quartered, not signed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:50 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

yeah they can keep Rice I don't want him....well if we can sign him at the vet's minimum for one year then I'd say ok, but that won't happen....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:45 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Steve-O wrote:
yeah they can keep Rice I don't want him....well if we can sign him at the vet's minimum for one year then I'd say ok, but that won't happen....

i wouldn't piss on him if he were stranded in the desert. he epitomizes (quietly) all that is wrong with professional athletes.