It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trap game?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I know, I know, the Packers are absolutely terrible this year. Injuries, an aging Favre, and a pourous defense. So, why does a little voice inside me say this game will be tougher than it looks on paper?

Anyone else a wee bit concerned or is ol' Angry just "jumpy" from previous Falcon teams and seasons?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:52 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I can't say I blame you for being jumpy at all, but if the Falcons are going to be a good team these are the games they need to win convincingly...I don't think we'll have a problem but in the end you never really know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:21 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I feel a lot better about this game being at home.

The Atlanta defense gets an extra step on the opposing offensive line in the Dome.
And Favre doesn't have the weapons to succeed when he doesn't get the protection.

The Packers have a good run defense (I haven't watched them yet this season, but so I've heard). This should make things interesting. But I think the Vick, Dunn, & Griffith will rack up 150+ yards on the ground. If they play like they did against Miami, a balanced offense will open up the running lanes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The Falcons have a tendancy to "play down" to their opponents. Mora has changed this attitude with these Falcons and it will be interesting how they come out on a team they should beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:37 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

[quote="AngryJohnny51"]The Falcons have a tendancy to "play down" to their opponents.

Good Point. I don't think Atlanta ever really beats the spread (I think it's 9 in this game).

But I think that is also an illusion of a run first offense. The game has fewer plays, fewer drives, and fewer scoring chances. The score in the end has more likelihood of being close (or you could look at it like Atlanta keeps their opponents in games. See Miami last week).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:50 pm 

A bigger reason why Atlanta doesn't cover the spread is due to coaching. In most cases once we have a lead whether it be 1 point or 100 we go into conservative play mode and not kill mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:01 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yulin wrote:
The Packers don't have the outside speed at End or LB to prevent Dunn and Vick from running all over them.

You can always point to any given Sunday, but this is one I feel confident we win walking away.

we better damn it!
did any of you guys see that article on cnnsi about farve skipping practive wed because he was feeling lethargic? i think the man's depressed. if we stomp them like we should, it might break his spirit for this season, which would be kinda sad.
might worst fear is that out of sheer desperation they come out and play like madmen, and we come out lackadaisical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:05 am 
Role Player
Role Player

dirtybirdnw wrote:
A bigger reason why Atlanta doesn't cover the spread is due to coaching. In most cases once we have a lead whether it be 1 point or 100 we go into conservative play mode and not kill mode.

I hear you. Personally, I think a run offense is conservative by it's nature.
The only reason I could think of it being aggressive is that we get huge chunks of yardage (huge is relative here) with Dunn up the middle. We throw deep 3 times per game (and Vick usually keeps these out of bounds along the sidelines. Not effective for yardage, but effective to keep the D honest and keep away from the turnover).

I would like to see the Falcons get a lead, and then try to open up the passing game more. Just to get Vick some more game time experience for when we'll need him in the playoffs. It might keep a game close (or even lose 1), but we'll need the experience in the playoffs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:53 am 
Role Player
Role Player

Props to AngryJohnny. Kind of ticked off that you were right here.

I'm shocked at how the defense played in the Dome. But then again, it's hard when the offense turns the ball over with a short field (I think Green Bay had 4 attempts at field goals). Regardless, Favre and Gado had their way today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:38 am 
Superstar
Superstar

meansonny wrote:
Props to AngryJohnny. Kind of ticked off that you were right here.

I'm shocked at how the defense played in the Dome. But then again, it's hard when the offense turns the ball over with a short field (I think Green Bay had 4 attempts at field goals). Regardless, Favre and Gado had their way today.

I wouldn't have minded being wrong, believe me. Oh well, just a bump in the road. We still control our own destiny.... big game next week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:23 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

talk about a throw away game. i've never seen such apathy apathy apathy. no one really cared is what i saw, save for a few players. hopefully this happens only once every 2 years.