It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Schaub = First Round Pick?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:20 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Do you think we could get Schaub for a first rounder? This is from the Baltimore Sun the other day. It's interesting, and as much as I like Schaub, I just don't know if we could get a first round pick for him. If we could, then for us using a third rounder on him, and getting a first rounder in return would be nice. Who knows then we could package it and move up and get a top notch talent. Anyway, I just wanted to see what everyone though. Here's the link and the part about Schaub. Go Falcons!!!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/foot ... &cset=true

Atlanta quarterback Matt Schaub is the hot backup around the league who will draw a lot of interest from other teams during the offseason. Several teams have already inquired about trading for Schaub, the backup to Michael Vick.

Schaub is 6 feet 5 and weighs 235 pounds. He is already playing in a West Coast offense and is extremely accurate, a must for this type of system. Besides being big, strong and intelligent, Schaub runs well and has good touch on his passes.

He won't be a restricted free agent until the end of 2006, so he's probably going to cost a team a mid-first-round pick for his services. But a team in desperate need of a quarterback might be willing to make a deal for the second-year player out of Virginia.

Earth to Billick and Ozzie Newsome: Are you there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:47 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I just don't see it, but the more I think about it, the more I see it not being out of the question.

The last big trades for backups with minimal starting experience didn't work out so well. Those were Rob Johnson and A.J. Feeley. Johnson was traded for a 1st. Feeley a 3rd. Johnson had some moments in Buffalo, but cracked under the pressure way too much. Feeley the same.

If I'm an opposing GM, I'm not going to give up more than a 4th or 5th rounder for Schaub. I like his potential, but I'd just want to see a little more than what he's shown so far if I'm going to give up a 1st day pick for him.

But we've discussed it on this board, and I'm going to stand firm that I doubt we'd get a #1 for him. Not when you have a pretty good QB class coming out this year. Assuming some of the top juniors come out, it's going to really help this draft class which currently doesn't look like too much outside Leinart and maybe Drew Olson. But it also depends on what veterans are available on the market. Philip Rivers is another untested backup that many teams are high on. David Carr and Joey Harrington are 2 more experienced young QBs, although I doubt few will give Harrington opportunities to start.

So I think it's a bit too early. We really won't know what Schaub's trade status will be until January and February. By then, he may have a few more starts under his belt, and maybe even a win. It will also depend on what coaching changes are made in the off-season. Schaub will probably only go to a team that is installing or running a WCO, and I think that offense is beginning to lose its appeal. It's interesting that the only teams with winning records that run a WCO offense (or one with West Coast principles) are Denver, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Seattle. So you probably won't be seeing too many new coaches plugging in the WCO in 2006 since owners probably won't be raiding the coaching staffs of WC teams since really only Knapp and Kubiak look like decent head coaching candidates among those teams. We'll also need to see how the QB draft class shapes up.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:20 am 
Starter
Starter

Nah, I seriously doubt. I high second round, maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:27 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

To be honest, i would be surprised if we trade him at all, with Vick's injury "Prone-ness" that we have seen in recent years...they dont want another D. Johnson/Kurt Kitner disaster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:54 pm 
Starter
Starter

Pudge the thing about Schaub is that he has had success in his career where ever he has gone. So you have to believe this guy is for real and not just a flash in a pan. As for future draft picks like a Olsen ect... a team like the Ravens might be more inclined to trade for a Schaub over taking a QB with a 1st rd. You just never know what you are getting sometimes when you draft guys. Honestly I think we should be able to at least get what the Eagles got for Feely for Shcaub.

On a completely on realated note, I would like to point out that Statick has the best sig I have seen in a long time. That is just classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:29 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I like Schaub too, and think he does a great job when he needs to fill in, but if we could get a first or early second round pick for him, I say let's trade him. Then we could package some picks and move up to get someone big, or at least have 3 picks in the first two rounds to fill some holes.

Anyway, I know that we have had this discussion on Schaub before, but this is the first time I've seen us possibly getting a first rounder for him in print. Well, who knows what will happen with the offseason or draft. I guess only time will tell.