It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wild-card spot
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:06 am 
Role Player
Role Player

We are chasing a wild-card spot now.
Chicago and Seattle will win their divisions; I believe the Panthers will be too hard to catch. New York or Dallas will win their division and the other trying for a wild-card spot. The two wild card spots will go to:

Dallas (7-5) (KC, at Washington, at Carolina, St. Louis)
New York (8-4) (at Philadelphia, KC, at Washington, at Oakland)
Tampa Bay (8-4) (at Carolina, at New England, Atlanta, New Orleans)
Atlanta (7-5) (New Orleans, Chicago, at Tampa Bay, Carolina)
Minnesota(7-5) (St. Louis, Pittsburgh, at Baltimore, Chicago)

Either Dallas or New York won't be a wild-card (as they will win division).
None of these teams has an easy road. I think New York will win their division becuase their schedule is easier than Dallas (the Giants will probably beat Philadelphia, Washington, and Oakland). Dallas will likely lose two of the games; probably KC and Carolina.

Minnesota, in my opinion, will lose three of their final four games. Even if they have the same record as Atlanta, it's okay becuase we have the head-to-head with them.

The problem is that Atlanta is a game behind Tampa- and I think it will be very hard to catch them. We don't have the tie-breaker against Dallas because they have a better conference record. We must beat New Orleans and one other team (I think Chicago being most likely the easiest for us). If we do, then I think we may squeek in because Dallas may lose three out of four. A win against Tampa would be huge.

It's pretty scary fighting for a wild-card spot; but I like to know what teams outside of the Falcons I am rooting for. Bottom line- if we win three out of four we'll get in. If we win only two of our next four (which is likely)- then either Dallas, New York, or Tampa will have to lose three out of the next four.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:16 am 
Role Player
Role Player

Additonally;

I left out Washington because I don't think they are good enough to make it down the stretch.

Here is their schedule (at Arizona, Dallas, NY, at Philadelphia)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:28 pm 

IMO the final wild card spots will be Dallas/New York and Atlanta/Tampa. I don't think Atlanta makes the playoffs this year. The team is deflated and has to face Tampa at home and Carolina again which seems to have figured Vick out and we have no answer for Foster.

IMO Atlanta finishes the season 8-8 our final win coming against New Orleans then losing the balance. I saw nothing yesterday that makes me think we have a cold chance in hell against Carolina in our second game. We could beat Tampa as we played them tight putting us at 9-7 at best.

Me thinks the best we can hope for is our first ever back to back seasons with a winning record at 9-7. But we will miss the playoffs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:54 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

If we don't win at least two more I swear to God I will freak out...I can't take another two years of having to hear about us not having two winning seasons in a row...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:31 pm 

Steve-O wrote:
If we don't win at least two more I swear to God I will freak out...I can't take another two years of having to hear about us not having two winning seasons in a row...

If we don't beat the Saints I'll freak out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:04 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I also do not think the Falcons will make the playoffs. We will probably win one or two more games and become 8-8 or 9-7 and not make it. A lot of this depends on Dallas, though. If Dallas plays poorly and starts losing, we have a shot.
Tampa- If we win at Tampa then this is a good shot, because they are playing Carolina next week. I think they will lose that game. If we beat them in three weeks- then we are right back in the picture. Of course this is probably not going to happen with the way we are playing. Our defense is garbage.

Whatever happens we need to hope the Cowboys lose one more game than us. If not, I hope we have a good draft.

Amazing that just four-five weeks ago I thought the playoffs were all but gauranteed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:08 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah our Safeties have been exposed in a major way this year. Carpenter's career is over & we might want to think about using Scott as a big nickel back or something. Both of them needs to go though, because they don't bring the main fundamental you need from a Safety.....tackling. Scott has been pretty good in coverage this year and we drafted him to be a Safety, so we may want to give him a shot there. Webster is also a bit of a problem, but I think both he & Hall would benefit tremendously by having solid Safeties over the top...especially Web. We also are in desperate need of a consistent pass rush too obviously, as we either get a bunch of sacks or absolutely none.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:01 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think we're going to win 3 games.

We've come out slow and lackluster against both the Saints and Bucs. I don't expect repeat performances. That being the case, I don't think either team can beat us unless they get out to a strong early lead.

I think we can beat the Panthers. They outplayed us on Sunday, but we played poorly. They were good, we were bad. But I thought we were in the game for most of it, just we couldn't get anything positive going, no momentum. I don't expect that to happen again on New Years Day at home.

The Panthers haven't won a game in the Georgia Dome since 1997. John Fox himself said it, the place he dreads the most is the Georgia Dome. He hates playing there. I know history said we should have won yesterday, but it was only a matter of time before the Panthers beat us in Carolina. They can't beat us in Atlanta, at least not yet.

THe only team that I'm worried about is the Bears. THey are a team that is going to give our offense fits, forcing our defense to have to create turnovers. That's going to probably be a low-scoring affair with the final score being something like 13-10.

Profile E-mail