It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HONESTLY
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:28 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I am honest to god hoping that we don't make the playoff's. This is a young team with a lot of talent, but think about it...We would have good draft pick's to help rebuild. This is more of a rebuilding season IMO

Post subject: Re: HONESTLY
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:42 pm 

mickvick302 wrote:
I am honest to god hoping that we don't make the playoff's. This is a young team with a lot of talent, but think about it...We would have good draft pick's to help rebuild. This is more of a rebuilding season IMO

Are you kidding me? Rebuilding? Rebuilding is what teams due that have no hope of doing anything with their current roster. Rebuilding is what the Browns have been doing. Rebuilding is what the Bengals just got done doing. Hell rebuilding is what Atlanta more or less just got done doing.

This team is NO WHERE NEAR as bad as it has been at times this year. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This defense is banged up. We are missing Ed Hartwell, Kevin Mathis, Chris Cash, Jordan Beck, and heck even Brady Smith for the course of the season. That is two starters, one very important nickel back and his backup; and a very promising rookie. Of course this defense is going to be off it's game. Look at how young they are:

Starters or players with 50% snaps or greater: Chad Lavalais (2nd Year), Jonathan Babineaux (Rookie), Chauncey Davis (Rookie), DeAngelo Hall (2nd Year), Demorrio Williams (2nd Year), Michael Boley (Rookie), Bryan Scott (3rd Year).

It's amazing our defense isn't worse then what it is right now. We have 5 of 11 starters on defense that have more then 3 years experience. That's right less then half of the starting defense are true "veterans."

How about the offense? It is darn near just as young as the defense and has been one of the leagues better units (11th Total Offense, 1st Rushing, 10th Scoring). The only thing really holding this unit back is poor pass blocking and the fact that Vick has a rookie and second year receiver starting.

If anything this roster needs tweaks. Yes we need another top notch corner. Yes we need a better safety the Keion Carpenter. But the defensive line has been working without Brady Smith most of the season and in his stead have been a pair of ROOKIES. Losing Ed Hartwell & Kevin Mathis has a deep impact then many may want too believe.

This team is not even remotely close to needing to "rebuild." At most we need a corner, safety, center, and a guard. Depending upon where Davis is next year and Smith's status you could include a defensive end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:01 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

and even if we did miss the playoffs an 8-8 or 9-7 record isn't going to get you a much better pick than 10-6....

we are a young team, and I now realize that maybe my expectations were a little to high for this team...we are the youngest starting 22 in the NFL and we have been a tough team all year...

personally at this point I don't care if we make the playoffs or not...as long as we finish with a winnig record...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:10 pm 

If nothing changes for the rest of the year we stand to get a pick somewhere between 21 and 17. We could probably trade up to 10 to 15 without losing too much. I have no idea how many picks we have and it what rounds however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:22 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

hoping one's team doesn't make it to the playoffs in order to get a better draft pick is not a good thing. even if the falcons were one of the worst teams in the league, i'd hope they win as many as they can. looking at the big picture is fine but what's the big picture without each individual game?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:41 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

dirtybirdnw wrote:
mickvick302 wrote:

Are you kidding me? Rebuilding? Rebuilding is what teams due that have no hope of doing anything with their current roster. Rebuilding is what the Browns have been doing. Rebuilding is what the Bengals just got done doing. Hell rebuilding is what Atlanta more or less just got done doing.

This team is NO WHERE NEAR as bad as it has been at times this year. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This defense is banged up. We are missing Ed Hartwell, Kevin Mathis, Chris Cash, Jordan Beck, and heck even Brady Smith for the course of the season. That is two starters, one very important nickel back and his backup; and a very promising rookie. Of course this defense is going to be off it's game. Look at how young they are:

Starters or players with 50% snaps or greater: Chad Lavalais (2nd Year), Jonathan Babineaux (Rookie), Chauncey Davis (Rookie), DeAngelo Hall (2nd Year), Demorrio Williams (2nd Year), Michael Boley (Rookie), Bryan Scott (3rd Year).

It's amazing our defense isn't worse then what it is right now. We have 5 of 11 starters on defense that have more then 3 years experience. That's right less then half of the starting defense are true "veterans."

How about the offense? It is darn near just as young as the defense and has been one of the leagues better units (11th Total Offense, 1st Rushing, 10th Scoring). The only thing really holding this unit back is poor pass blocking and the fact that Vick has a rookie and second year receiver starting.

If anything this roster needs tweaks. Yes we need another top notch corner. Yes we need a better safety the Keion Carpenter. But the defensive line has been working without Brady Smith most of the season and in his stead have been a pair of ROOKIES. Losing Ed Hartwell & Kevin Mathis has a deep impact then many may want too believe.

This team is not even remotely close to needing to "rebuild." At most we need a corner, safety, center, and a guard. Depending upon where Davis is next year and Smith's status you could include a defensive end.

OK...Read my post over again...Did I once say this team was "Bad"...No

I guess rebuilding wasn't the right word to use, what i meant was we were young and we were trying to build our younger kid's into better athletes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:42 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

dirtybirdnw wrote:
mickvick302 wrote:

And sense when does "Rebuilding" automatically mean a bad team?

Just because a team is in a Rebuilding Phase doesn't mean they suck...Rebuilding to me means "Building Again"...and yes we are Building Again, seeing as how we dont have the same team we did last year. We still have young guy's trying to get fit into a different offense and defensive scheme, hence Rebuilding their style of play

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:57 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I have to strongly disagree with you MickVick because when I hear "rebuilding year" I think of a team that is looking a couple years into the future to be really competitive. That is what Nick Saban was talking about a few weeks ago. We can be competitive NOW. Our staff and players arent looking any futher into the future then December 12, 2005.

And I will never understood the concept of wanting to loose to improve your draft pick. I was in this discussion with someone during the 2003 season when he wanted us to loose out to get a top 3 pick. It makes no sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:30 pm 

mickvick302 wrote:

And sense when does "Rebuilding" automatically mean a bad team?

Just because a team is in a Rebuilding Phase doesn't mean they suck...Rebuilding to me means "Building Again"...and yes we are Building Again, seeing as how we dont have the same team we did last year. We still have young guy's trying to get fit into a different offense and defensive scheme, hence Rebuilding their style of play

That could be the most liberal use of the word "rebuilding" I have ever seen in my entire life. I'm a conservative and I think liberalism is wrong so I'm going to disagree :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:50 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Yea, I don't know where I was coming from with this post. I just realized that it was stupid to use the term "Rebuilding" in reference to a young team, but when I realized that, I was already in a deep hole. Sorry for the stupidity :) !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:13 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

No worries man, we all say dumb &$#@ from time to time.