All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Official Week 15-Bears Game Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:01 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

This weeks' rival site:

Bears-Fans.com
Rival forum

This is going to be a really tough matchup for the Falcons.

Keys to the game:

1. Kevin SHaffer has to play well vs. Alex Brown. Brown sets the tone in this game for the Bears defense when they matchup against Vick.
2. Establish the run early. That means we attack the BEars undersized interior. Duckett probably needs to get a lot more work than usual.
3. Force turnovers on defense. Orton is young and has basically been able to hold down the fort, by not making too many mistakes.
4. A fast start, and the Bears don't have the offensive prowess to come back on us. I'm not saying a 7-0 lead is going to seal the W for us, but if we can get out to a 2-score lead early on, it will take the Bears out of their game.

Questions to be answered:

1. Does Vick play. He won't be 100%. To be honest, I'd kind of prefer to see Schaub in there. The Bears have the prototype defense in terms of getting after Vick. They have a MLB that can spy him, a RDE that plays smart and fast and will be able to contain the bootlegs. A LDE that can put pressure from his blindside. DTs that can put pressure up the middle. A secondary that is solid and capable of creating turnovers. And a SS that is a natural playmaker that can spy Vick as well. I think Schaub is a curveball for them. The Bears aren't afraid of Vick at all. They've beaten him twice, and beaten up on him both times.

2. Will the Bears make a QB change? Orton has led them thus far, but Grossman is self proclaimed to be ready to play. I don't think the Bears will make a change since Grossman is very rusty and the team continues to win under Orton despite his dismal passing numbers (remind you of another team? :) )

Interesting stat:

Bears: 7-2 at home in December (2001-05).
Falcons: 1-9 on road in December (2001-05).

Last edited by Pudge on Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:41 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

hey, i checked the projected weather for sunday in chi town and it looks clear for that day, 20-12 F with a 10% chance of precipitation. it's supposed to snow that saturday though and who knows what will really happen, the weather man is usually wrong anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:35 pm 

It will easily be the coldest game of the year for Atlanta. Especially considering we end the season @Tampa and in Atlanta. It's really the only cold weather game we play all season.

History dictates that warm weather teams playing in cold weather scenarios lose. Lets hope that we buck the trend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:44 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

this is the defensive scheme you can expect the next 3 games
i haven't been smart enough to pick up on it the past few weeks but teams have been selling out against our run game and making Vick beat them with his arm.
Vick's accuracy stopped some drives against Carolina and we all know that game was closer than the score indidcated. Vick's crappy throw to Dunn on the opening drive last night killed that drive.
However, Vick picked his game up last night passing after the initial drive. expect more of the same from the Bears. they will sell out against the back and make Vick beat them. this could be Vick's coming out party on national TV so to speak. i think he has a good game here.
also i picked up that new wrinkle on the boot leg. Knapp had Griffith shoot out to block for Vick on some of the boots they ran last night. GENIUS!
this week we expose the Bears for the one dimensional team they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:23 pm 

Fortunately during the majority of the season Vick hasn't been our biggest problem. Especially now that Roddy & Jenkins are starting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:23 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Last cold game---Last year's NFC Championship vs the Iggles(Loss)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

2nd to last cold winter game, in lambeu- a win. in fact a dominating win. we'll see which falcons team shows up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:15 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

buddyboy wrote:
2nd to last cold winter game, in lambeu- a win. in fact a dominating win. we'll see which falcons team shows up

Isn't that the game in which Keion(SP!) Carpenter had a very serious neck injury?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:34 pm 

mickvick302 wrote:
buddyboy wrote:

Isn't that the game in which Keion(SP!) Carpenter had a very serious neck injury?

Keion was knocked out I believe in Philly's opening drive. Keion had Westbrook in the end zone he knocked Westbrook back about 3 yards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:39 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

dirtybirdnw wrote:
mickvick302 wrote:
buddyboy wrote:

Keion was knocked out I believe in Philly's opening drive. Keion had Westbrook in the end zone he knocked Westbrook back about 3 yards.

Then he just dropped...too be honest that was one of the scariest moments of my life...i knew(Of course everyone else did too)that from the way he dropped, and the way he lay on the ground without movement, that it was extremely serious...I was still in med school, and that was what everyone was talking about on monday

Post subject: Re: Official Week 15-Bears Game Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:08 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hi! Roving Bears fan checking in here! :wink:
Pudge wrote:
This is going to be a really tough matchup for the Falcons.

Keys to the game:

1. Kevin SHaffer has to play well vs. Alex Brown. Brown sets the tone in this game for the Bears defense when they matchup against Vick.

Our entire D looked rather poor against Pittsburgh. I expect a return to form against the Falcons. You should worry about O-gun (Lt DE) running Vick out of the pocket (as he is wont to do) and into the waiting arms of Alex Brown for a sack. It's something that they did very successfully against the Panthers...

Pudge wrote:
2. Establish the run early. That means we attack the BEars undersized interior. Duckett probably needs to get a lot more work than usual.

You're currently #1 rushing O in the NFL. Da Bears (#1 D overall, 9th against the rush) know that and will stack against the run. It should be interesting to see how (or if) we handle you guys.
Pudge wrote:
3. Force turnovers on defense. Orton is young and has basically been able to hold down the fort, by not making too many mistakes.

Every Defense this year has seen Orton the rookie QB as the weak point of da Bears Offense to attack. Hasn't worked very well. Our O-line is very good. Orton doesn't spook and can get rid of the ball quickly, even on busted plays, although his detractors claim he's just "overthrowing" his (covered) receivers.
Pudge wrote:
4. A fast start, and the Bears don't have the offensive prowess to come back on us. I'm not saying a 7-0 lead is going to seal the W for us, but if we can get out to a 2-score lead early on, it will take the Bears out of their game.

If you can do this, you're in the driver's seat. Da Bears do have a lot of trouble coming from behind. We prefer to grab the lead (however small) and then just sit on it, rather than try to build on a lead. We protect the ball and rely on the Defense to keep you from scoring. We get more desperate when playing from behind, although we're getting better at it (Orton threw for 207 yds against Pitt, w/o any INTs, if our D had been on form it would have been an impressive win for us).

Pudge wrote:
Questions to be answered:

1. Does Vick play. He won't be 100%. To be honest, I'd kind of prefer to see Schaub in there. The Bears have the prototype defense in terms of getting after Vick. They have a MLB that can spy him, a RDE that plays smart and fast and will be able to contain the bootlegs. A LDE that can put pressure from his blindside. DTs that can put pressure up the middle. A secondary that is solid and capable of creating turnovers. And a SS that is a natural playmaker that can spy Vick as well. I think Schaub is a curveball for them. The Bears aren't afraid of Vick at all. They've beaten him twice, and beaten up on him both times.

I hear that Vick will play, despite bruised ribs. If he does, then expect da Bears to come at him, often and fast. Lots of blitzing. They'll hit him with everything they've got.

Pudge wrote:
2. Will the Bears make a QB change? Orton has led them thus far, but Grossman is self proclaimed to be ready to play. I don't think the Bears will make a change since Grossman is very rusty and the team continues to win under Orton despite his dismal passing numbers (remind you of another team? :) )

That's the basic argument for keeping in Orton, which Head Coach Lovie Smith has already announced. Add to that Orton's improved passing against the Steelers and benching him becomes a hard decision to justify.

Pudge wrote:
Interesting stat:

Bears: 7-2 at home in December (2001-05).
Falcons: 1-9 on road in December (2001-05).

I'm not a "stat freak," but that one I like... :lol:

BTW, a little weather report for Sunday @ Soldier Field -

Wind: Out of the west @ 13 mph
Expected High: 19 degrees
Expected Low: 12 degrees

Kickoff is 3 hours after sunset, so it'll be a lot closer to 12 than 19 degrees. With the wind chill factor, it might feel like around zero on the field at gametime... :shock:

Post subject: Re: Official Week 15-Bears Game Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:35 pm 

Dennis wrote:
Every Defense this year has seen Orton the rookie QB as the weak point of da Bears Offense to attack. Hasn't worked very well. Our O-line is very good. Orton doesn't spook and can get rid of the ball quickly, even on busted plays, although his detractors claim he's just "overthrowing" his (covered) receivers.

That's the basic argument for keeping in Orton, which Head Coach Lovie Smith has already announced. Add to that Orton's improved passing against the Steelers and benching him becomes a hard decision to justify.

I'm not sure I would go singing the praises of Kyle Orton just yet. Me thinks your confidence in a very average rookie is fairly misplaced.

Orton thus far has 9 TD passes vs. 13 interceptions and he has a passer rating of 60.9. All of this inspite of decent protection from the Bears offensive line and a good running game (26 Sacks). Yet Orton still struggles to be anything more then sub-par to average. Orton completes 53% of his passes and struggles to get the ball deep (season long is 54 on average it's around 25 to 30 yards and his average pass goes 5.25 yards).

If you call 48% completion and a passer rating of 60.9 an improvement I'm feeling good about the Falcons being able to go in and beat the Bears. Infact Orton has been playing WORSE not better as of late. Orton has been getting worse since the half way mark of the season. Orton's numbers since his last good game posted Week 8: 43, 42, 68, 60, 23, 67, Orton was FAR BETTER the first half of the season. He posted ratings of 52, 103, 14, 84, 84, 77, 84. Orton had 1 bad game, 1 below-average game, and a bunch of average to good games.

But Orton has been throwing a pick a game since the half, has had abyssmal completion precentages since half, and has thrown just 3 TD passes to the 6 he had in the first half. I suppose if you call that inprovement then I'm feeling good about the Falcons rolling against Orton or Grossman. Infact Orton is the WORST QUARTERBACK IN THE NFL. Check out the passer ratings and Orton's ridiculously bad 60.9 makes him the 34th best Quarterback in the league. Last I checked there are only 32 teams in the NFL which means Orton is worse then some BACKUP Quarterbacks.

Don't feed me crap about Orton is getting better and the best option for the Bears. The Bears need to re-install Grossman and pray he gets good fast. It has been a long, long, long, long; time since the Bears have fielded a good Quarterback hasn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:30 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I said this a few weeks back and I will say it again...that Bears defense can be had...you just have to be patient with the run game...they are undersized across the line and if you beat on them long enough they will crack...and in the two games I've got to see Chicago play they play with a lot of movement on their line...by that I mean that they stunt and crash to one side or the other a lot and let their lb's come clean into the gaps...well if we can catch onto what they are doing in that respect then we can take advantage of it...if their line crashes right and we run left then they are gonna be in trouble....

if we can just be patient with the run game I think we can come out of this with the W....they won't get a big lead on us so we just have to be patient and dedicated to the run....and take two or three shots down field when we see they are selling out against the run...their secondary isn't bad but you can throw downfield on them if the QB has time....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:44 pm 

I swear if we don't play man coverage with some bump & run on Sunday I will shoot myself. Only Mus is capable of really beating up our secondary. We need to get physical and force Orton to throw spot on passes. I don't think Orton is capable of doing that.

I'd be willing to bet that Grossman is the starter at half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:51 pm 

I agree 100% dirty. The Falcons really need to go out there and be aggressive defensively against the Bears.

Right now we have a slim chance of making the playoffs, and going out there and being conservative is just plain stupid. If we miss the playoffs, then it's really not a big deal since our chances were slim to start to get there. But if we go out there and turn some heads, win some games, it will show all along what I believe and I'm sure the majority of everyone else believes in that we are a much better defense when we are more aggressive.

Kerney, Coleman, Brady Smith, Hall, Demorrio, Carpenter, Webster, Lavalais, and more, I think all feed on that aggressive attack style defense. And I think Donatell has gotten much too conservative this year.

Playing conservatively plays right into the hands of the Bears, because they are a conservative team. Don't turn it over on offense and the defense holds you to 10 or so points, they are going to win. That's how they've won 9 games this year, and it's how they'll beat us on Sunday night if the Falcons get too conservative.

With Vick being hurt, we're going to have to be conservative on offense, hoping that the OL and Dunn/Duckett can get things started early.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Watch the penalities
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:02 am 

Seems like since we won on monday in a route management has forgot that the falcon's still lack discipline on there penalties.I hope Mora addresses that you can be aggressive and play smart instead of aggressive and play stupid.Those stupid penalties can cost your team a first down,momentum and tunr the game around.Deangelo Hall needs to watch it.I know he doesn't want to back down from anyone but he has to realize he is hurting the team when he does crap on the field trying to be tougher than the other guy and getting penalties called.

Special teams has been a problem with penalties and it must be addressed.It seems the falcon's look the other way game after game and the penalties are not cleaned up. Hall had a couple of big plays called because of block in the back which in a close game can really hurt.I don't know if the coaches are worried about this issue but they should be.Lack of discipline can cost your team ultimately a victory and heading home instead of in the playoffs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:56 pm 

I might be crazy but I swear that Donatell still plays Brooking like he is the weakside linebacker. I see Brooking blitz more then DeMo ever does. I would really like to see DeMo blitz over Kerney. I bet he breaks free quite a bit forcing a guard to drop or keep the runningback in for additional blocking. That in turn could open things up for Coleman or Lavalais.

I have to admit I don't pay that much attention to schemes and what not when watching the games. But I have noticed Brooking in the backfield more then DeMo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I didn't mean to sound like Kyle Orton is the next Manning. All I'm saying is that everyone this year has tried to force him into "rookie mistakes" and it hasn't happened. He has only cost us one game (Cincinnati). Other than that, he's "managed" the Offense fairly well.

He's clawing his way up to a rather mediocre mid-60s QB rating, thanks mainly to an improving WR corps rather than any real improvement by Kyle himself. But the passing game is still getting better. There's more legitimate receivers out there for you to worry about now than just Moose.

If the reports of Grossman's health are accurate, he might be put in to get the passing game into gear and keep your defenders backed up a little from scrimmage.

Just don't think you're going to scare or intimidate Orton into a dumb mistake. The kid's not a "playmaker" by any means, but he's certainly not a "playbuster" either...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:00 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

well even if Orton doesn't make stupid rookie mistakes he can't win a game either....if we can take away the run I am positive our CB's can man up with any wr on the bears roster...the key is going to be stopping the run....when we earn the right to rush the passer we can be pretty explosive with our pass rush...the problem is we can't stop the run well enough to earn the right to get after qb's....

we won't depend on Orton losing the game for the Bears, what we will try to do (hopefully that is) is try to force him to beat us with his arm which I am confindant he won't be able to do....if he can't convert 3rd downs then I don't care if he throws the ball to us or not....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:26 am 
Rookie
Rookie

You can try to shut down our running game. But we've only been rushing for 120-130 yards per game on average. Yet we win with that. :mrgreen: The reason is that our Defense pretty consistently provides the Offense with such good field position at least a couple of times a game. If we're starting a drive on your 30-40 yard line, just how much do we need to rush to score? Hell, we're damned near in FG range to start... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:46 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I take no credit for the pro-Bear postings by this other Dennis.

: -)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:32 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

well I don't know how many drives you are going to be starting on our 30-40 yard line....

we have great kick coverage units....and I really think we won't be throwing the ball all that much so I am not sure you're gonna get a lot of INT's.....and our punter is pretty good too so I don't think you'll be starting on our side of the 50 to often....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:17 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

here is something interesting I found on af.com regarding the bears offense and scoring...

Okay, folks. Let's talk about defensive scoring. In 2005, the Chicago Bears have scored 210 total points. 108 of them have been scored by the Bears offense. The other 102? Defense and special teams. In other words: the Bears defense and teams units have scored 49 percent of Chicago's total points this year. To put that in perspective, the Falcons defense and special teams has scored 35 percent of Atlanta's 313 points in 2005. Moral of the story: Hold on to the football

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:51 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

That just shows how very good da Bears Defense is at forcing turnovers... :D