It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vick haterism commenced.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:34 pm 

I've already read a few Sunday After articles hinting that a tidal wave of Vick haterism is about to strike from the talking heads. Of course lets hope the talking heads also watched the game and noted that the offensive line was nothing less then horrid, again.

But it's coming.

Post subject: Re: Vick haterism commenced.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:58 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I've already read a few Sunday After articles hinting that a tidal wave of Vick haterism is about to strike from the talking heads. Of course lets hope the talking heads also watched the game and noted that the offensive line was nothing less then horrid, again.

But it's coming.

No doubt....its inevitable

Everyone has said that our main concern is our safeties, which is true, but there is no way we can continue our philosophy of our 4th round O-lineman...thats got to change

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:13 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Agreed. But more than the 4th round offensive lineman is the size of the lineman. They are built for cut blocking (which they aren't dominant enough to win the game solely).

They don't have the ability or the physical presence to block for Vick. The only QB who could do anything successful is one who can get the quick read, quick release, with WR's who can catch (get) the short routes. I don't know a QB other than Peyton or Brady who can do this consistently. And even they will get beat up, picked, or discouraged with 3 defenders in their face on a 3 step drop all day.

Vick needs some size to sure up a bull rush up the middle. This will hopefully give him time in the pocket (which we know what we can do if he has this time) or possibly an exit seam if the defense has a good read on the routes. Right now, he has deep pressure and hands in his face all game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:20 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

it's not the size....

we have the heart just not the soul....actually wait a second, we have the soul, just not the heart....no that's not it either...we have both the soul and the heart, we just don't have the talent.....there that's it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:39 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

LOL :)

I don't know. I like the punch you in the mouth style football. I know leverage beats size everyday of the week. But leverage with size would be even better.

IMO, Troy Aikens wasn't the best QB in the world. He had talent around him. But a lot of that talent was some behemoth lineman.

I like Dunn with Duckett being a complimentary back. I like Crumpler being a 1st down playmaker (not a primary target though). I like the prospects of Jenkins and White. I like Finneran as a 3rd down or goalline receiver. Maybe not the Cowboys, but good enough to help Vick win games against the best D's in the league. If Vick can get a gameplan with protection allowing him not to rely on quick 3 step drops to drive downfield, we could have something special on offense.

Plus, I don't think Vick stayed in the pocket to protect himself. He's a pretty tough player (He takes a pounding like Chris Chandler did). Players were on top of him too quick, Sunday. No legitimate running lanes opened for him (he barely had passing lanes). There is too much push coming from the middle of the opposing D front. This also leads to too many blocked/tipped passes at the line. I think size might help here. At least to slow the straight push.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:43 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Quote:
IMO, Troy Aikens wasn't the best QB in the world.

I agree, Troy Aikens sucked. That Aikman fellow who played for Dallas was pretty good though.

I don't think wholesale changes on offense are needed; this is a team that ranks #8 in the league in points scored. (I think that's before Sunday, so they may have dropped since then.) I would like to see them throw deep more often, and if the OL can't provide sufficient blocking, then use rollouts to give Vick more time to throw.

Really, the problem with this team is defense. Atlanta needs another CB, two safeties, a defensive end and a big nose tackle. Other than that, they're in good shape.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:21 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i told my father in law the falcons were in big trouble five minutes before kickoff. did you see the look on Vick's face when he was sitting on that heated bench buried in that jacket right before kickoff? he totally didn't want to be there. for all those who will say "you wouldn't want to be there either" my answer is "DUH!" but seriously, he had a whipped look on his face before the ball was even kicked off.

i still hold out hope we can beat Tampa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:00 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

GSUTeke, I thought the same thing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Knight
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:04 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I am from Indiana and attended Indiana University during some of the Boddy Knight years. I once read an article by a sports writer who told a story about Knight and it basically said this..."If you win and people hate you it is all good, but Bob the second you start losing they will all come for you". Well, as it happened 'they' did come for him because everyone knew exactly what he was, that being the very worst of humanity, a brute, a bully, and an ass with a god complex.

Now I'm not saying that this is Vick, but I will say this... their stories are on a similar road. Vick has never been a great QB but like he said after the Miami game, and I think it went along these lines, "If I win games don't criticize me! All I do is win games!" Very true Mike, very true but remember 'If you win and people hate you it is all good, but Mike the second you start losing they will all come for you'. Well, I think the party is over and they are coming. Your line is small and built for running, not protecting you, you can't throw the ball well at all, and after 5 years in the league you aren't the 20 year old speed demon you once were. They (the League) has scripted you, starting with Tampa and then being brought to the fore by John Abraham and the Jets (and I know we won the game but Herm and Jets figured us out). The real story here for defenses is 'stay home'. Vick can't pass, and if you stay home you will get him or take enough time away from his injured legs, back, knees, etc that a linebacker will get him because the O-line can't block the rush (they aren't built for it). As he sat on the sidelines of Soldier Field before the game maybe he was thinking the same thing... they figured me out... I'm sore and it's cold and they are going to pound me and there is nothing I can do about it...am I done?... am I Kordell?... am I Cunningham?... did I have a nice run?

I don't know how to answer that Mike, but I can say this... they are coming for you and the end result won't be the ring and the trophy, not till you can throw, read the D, have an O-line, and have a new coach, and after saying that you have to look in the mirror and ask if the person staring back at you is it worth all the trouble of another full retool just to see if we wasted so much cash on a man that should have been a WR or RB.

MF1

J. Mora JR.