It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wahle on the outside?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:24 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Just something to think about. I was reminded recently of the fact that Mike Wahle, the prospective Packers free agent this off-season, and probably one of the Top 10 if not 5 offensive guards in the NFL began his career playing left tackle.

Well not exactly, but in 1999 and 2000, his 2nd and 3rd year in the league, he started a combined 12 games at that position. He finished the '99 campaign with 6 starts replacing Ross Verba. He started off '00 as the starting LT, but moved to LG again replacing Verba who went down with injury. Chad Clifton stepped in and never yielded the position back to Wahle (Verba left for Cleveland the following year).

But knowing how Gibbs likes guys that are versatile and can play multiple positions, it would seem that he would be willing to experiment with Wahle back at LT. It's a position he hasn't played much of in the past 4 seasons, but I'm thinking it could work.

Wahle has the size (6-6/304) and athleticism in my opinion to make the switch. Of course, I think he'd make a much better OG than OT, but considering we don't have much option at the LT spot, it would probaly still be an upgrade.

And speaking of moving guys around, what do people think about Kevin Shaffer moving inside to OG? I think it could work. Shaffer is a bit tall for the position, but I think it would hide some of his weaknesses.

Just something to throw out there since I know the LG and LT spots have been a big debate on these forums over the past several weeks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I would not mind it but Gibbs needs to get it right
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:38 pm 

If Wahle can play left tackle that is fine and solves one problem however whoever plays left guard better be better than what the falcon's had last year.I would try whoever at left guard including shaffer.What I don't want is Gibbs to try Shaffer out at left guard and have no other option there and once again we are looking at another off season to solve the left guard spot.There are enough rookie linemen in this draft to start and do a better job than the falcon's had last year.Watching the Patriot's team seems like they can throw castoffs from other teams and low round picks and solve there problems.The Falcon's have to quit making excuses and putting band aids when we have a bullet wound to fix.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:28 am 
Role Player
Role Player

I wouldn't mind it, but I think Wahle's gonna get a nice payday this offseason, and I don't think we'll be able to top most of the offers that goes his way. Even if we were to, it would probably leave us thin on cap space when compared to other choices.

Assuming he gets cut as I've heard he may, I'd rather go after Dan Neil and figure out whether to start Neil or Forney at LG and let the other stay at RG. Maybe with having Gibbs here we'll catch a break and he'll take less here than a few other teams would pay. This would leave more money this season, and beyond, to use for other FA players.

Draft a guy like Spencer for the center in 3rd and snag someone like Kazcur later on for some competition at tackle, and I think our line looks to be in much better shape next year than this past one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:29 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

he could be a great add big strong and can play many postions

we really do need some added protection on the line

i would help keep vick safe and maybe less sacks

Profile E-mail