It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gibbs out!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:48 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm reading on the Falcons Roost, which is citing the NFL Network, the Alex Gibbs is going back into semi-retirement, citing burnout, the same reasons he did so in Denver after the 2000 season.

PSUPride1 of The Falcons Roost wrote:
I just heard it on the NFL channel. Looks like Gibbs will be in gameplanning sessions every Monday through Wednesday and then return to the southwest (Phoenix?) for the rest of the week.

I didnt hear anything about his training camp schedule. I suppose the team will make an announcement shortly.

This would now mean that Asst. OL Coach Clancy Barone is now in charge of the unit. Of course, you can think "Oh No!" or you can be like "Too bad" at this news. I think I'm a "too bad" guy.

I definitely think there's more to this story than just burnout. Gibbs said when he was hired by the Falcons that he wanted to coach another 3 years and then call it quits. He's done after 1? Now this is the part where I lay down all the conspiracy theories:

1. Gibbs was forced out by Greg Knapp. Barone has strong connections with Knapp, having played and coached alongside him at Sacramento State. One could argue that when Barone was hired (which wasn't until July), it was a move to bring in a Knapp "spy" for Gibbs.

2. Feeding off the previous conspiracy, maybe Knapp was directly involved with "forcing" Gibbs out, but maybe Gibbs came to the conclusion that they couldn't have a great working relationship and maybe he approached Mora with an ultimatum, and Mora chose Knapp.

3. Gibbs is looking to move elsewhere. He recently talked to Pete Carroll, right after Norm Chow left for Tennessee.

Feb. 11 - Whittier Daily News wrote:
Carroll is still fighting the Cleveland Browns for New York Giants offensive line coach Pat Ruel. Carroll spoke to Atlanta Falcons offensive line coach Alex Gibbs, but said it was more for advice than actual job interest, because Gibbs makes far too much money to leave the NFL.

Which basically doesn't mean Carroll/Gibbs isn't interested, just that he didn't think the move was likely.

4. Alex Gibbs hates Kevin Shaffer.

One question that of course arises from Gibbs departure as the main guy, is how it will affect the off-season? Will Barone/Knapp start pulling more weight in terms of personnel decisions? How will the blocking schemes differ? Are we still going to be looking for the same type of players upfront?

So many questions, not enough answers. And I don't think will be until April and the summer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Getting the job done
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:00 am 

It does seem odd only 1 yr into taking the job now Gibbs wants to be a part timer.All I have to say is if the off line does not learn to pass blk this year and the offense still struggles then both Knapp and Gibbs should be gone.I like Gibbs but as a part time coach I am not sure if it will work.If it does and then Gibbs should stay but as for knapp if his short passing game does not work I will be calling for his head.I know the system takes 3,4 yrs to learn but knapp's offense does not fit the falcon's players talents and abilities.Vick was a better passer back in 2002 than last year.Again ifx the off line and get a receiver then if that doesn't work out the door knapp goes.

It is to late for Norm Chow they guy i really wanted.I wonder what other great offensive minds are out there that if knapp goes after next year who we could look at.I think the main reason knapp got hired was he was friends with mora.If the offense struggles next year then mckay is going to have to realize that an offensive coordinator who suits the talents of the personel is what the falcon's need.I hope this works since I don't like changing to another system every 2 to 3 yrs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:25 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

i would say there is more to this story than we know
plus is this rumor or is this a fact
if it is true i believe we could be hurt a little but Gibbs might have still help us out in terms of what he tought the players and coaches

how will this do for the long haul i dont know

we will just have to wait and see

but if he is gone and we dont promate from with in

i believe that Mora has filled great coaches around him and will contiune
to do so

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:44 am 

Chow will be a "free agent" again within 2 years.

That Titans staff is going to get purged. I figure after the 2006 season, Fisher and his "cronies" will all be fired. Bottom line, is just not enough has happened since 1999 and it's time for whomever in Tennessee to look elsewhere. Since Chow is part of that staff, it's very doubtful that the owner will fire Fisher and everybody else and keep Chow, no matter how gifted he will be.

It will also be very interesting to see how Chow works with a guy like Volek in the coming years. I don't see him playing this year, but he could. But either way, Chow's mystique will definitely be tested over these next 2 years as the Titans rebuild.

Blank seems to be very good at timing getting the guys that he really likes (see McKay), so maybe Mora and him can get together and time it perfectly so that they get Chow and dump KNapp in the same off-season (after 2006?)...

There are a lot of quality OCs out there, but I agree Knapp is on the hot spot this upcoming season. I'm not expecting us to be a Top 10 offense in the league, but we should see significant improvement in the passing game (30th to 20th or so?). I think it's doubtful we will repeat as the league's #1 rushing offense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:15 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Not sure what to make of this. A lot has been made about Gibbs not liking a lot of money invested in linemen yet I think McKay plans to do just that. It's not going to shock me a bit to see free agency money bolstering the lines as well as an early draft pick...