It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons sign Coady
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:02 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

This equates to what I would call a quick fix. Coady is a guy that is best as a dime back, but can start in a pinch.

He's done so in recent years, starting 10 games combined in the past 2 years. He can play either FS or SS, but I would say he's probably more comfortable at SS. This could mean the team does plan on moving Bryan Scott to FS.

I think as of right now you have to pencil him in as the starter. But if he's the guy that this front office/coaching staff thinks is going to be an upgrade over Cory hall, they are sorely mistaken.

This move probably means that the team is more likely to go DE in Round 1, but we still need to get a quality safety either in free agency or the draft.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:05 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

this is a smart move maybe not a good one but smart in terms of what we need and what we can afford it will be a wait and see thing but i think it will be good for a yr or 2

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:39 am 

Coady has a lot of pedigree on special teams, can play either FS or SS. He brings a bit to the table. At this point, I don't think he's going to be any worse than Cory Hall, who seemed like Mr. Invisible.

But he's definitely not going to cure our ailments in the secondary. We still need to get a guy that is a playmaker back there to team with Scott.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:38 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

agree we need a big play maker there but i dont think there is really one out on the market it might have to be a draft thing or wait til next year

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:17 am 

The question of Darren Sharper is coming up.

But I'm not sure I would go after Sharper. Of course he is the playmaking type of safety that I've been talking about for the past 2 months now, but I'm not sure I'm ready to pay a bunch of $$$ to a 30-year old safety, who arguably had his worst season since probably his permanent move to the FS spot.

I do like Sharper, but he seems like a player that is on the downside of his career. He's a top coverage safety, but I think coverage safeties losing their ability a lot faster than say a run-stopping safety. I compare it to Rodney Harrison. Harrison was on the decline in his final days in San Diego, but I think a run stopping safety can always pull out a bit better than a coverage safety.

I'm reminded a bit of Eugene Robinson and how quickly his play slipped after the Super Bowl debacle.

I'm not saying this is a definite for Sharper, but if the team is going after an "over the hill" safety, I'd settle for the cheaper and better run option in Sammy Knight. I just don't think Scott is the long-term guy at SS. He's not as physical as we need at that position, and I think he's a much better prospect as a FS.

But I'm not saying Sharper would be a bad signing. But if the Falcons were going to hand out of a signing bonus of $5-7 million, I would prefer it be on a younger player with a bit more upside than Sharper.

Profile E-mail