Chester and Stone starting guards?

All things related to the Atlanta Falcons, NFL and pro football related.
AngryJohnny51

Chester and Stone starting guards?

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:30 pm

Poor Matt Ryan. Oh wait. We're a running team again. Oh wait. Both our running backs are injured. Poor Matt Ryan.

Falcons RG Jon Asamoah has been running with the second-team offense at training camp.

The Falcons gave Asamoah a five-year, $22.5 million contract last offseason. He started 15-of-16 games and graded out as a top-24 guard at Pro Football Focus. But Asamoah may not be a fit for new OC Kyle Shanahan's zone-blocking scheme and has been passed on the depth chart by veteran Chris Chester. James Stone has been working as the Falcons' first-team left guard.

Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Davewaz

Re: Chester and Stone starting guards?

Postby Davewaz » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:08 pm

Well, I like that we have an open camp and are letting the best players play, that's how they did it in Seattle, seems to raise everyone's game. No one's job is safe.

Pudge
Site Admin

Postby Pudge » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:07 pm

You're right Dave. Problem is that Asamoah is one of our best players...

But I think all will be right with the world by Week 1. Right now, coaching staff can get away with "experimenting."

thescout

Postby thescout » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:15 am

I sure would like to have Mathis. I know he is a bit long in the tooth but at some point management needs to take a stab at one of the better players in the league instead of going with unproven players all the time. Dallas signed the off tackle from LSU and now he could pay big dividends for them. Mathis still can produce at a high level and we have seen to many times the Falcons starters go down and the backups are not adequate enough. Mathis would give us another high level player and provide depth since either Stone or Chester could be on the bench. I understand chemistry is big for off lines but so is talent. Do the Falcons have good enough linemen to get good push on short yardage situations. It never seems like no matter the system the Falcs always lack power in the run game vs good defenses to score 7 points. The Falcons have the money but don't want to spend the money. JJ as his contract ext coming up but that shouldn't be the reason to not sign Mathis. Maybe some players need to adjust their hefty contracts so the Falcons can sign another quality player..not mentioning names ..hmm initials MR :D or another player. Makes those signings of TJackson and Soliali to hefty contracts even more bothersome. Soliali did good last night and TJ was there to clean up but still they were overpaid. Those knee jerk reactions by management cost the Falcons the ability to sign players like Mathis maybe. I hope with Quinn here and Pioli having a bigger say that starting this year the Falcons make the right moves from now on.

Return to “The Huddle”