Training Camp: Day 17 Report
The Falcons break training camp after a brief practice Sunday morning. The following was the news emerging after Saturday’s practice.
- Head coach Mike Smith gave injury updates (video) on players after practice yesterday. Linebacker Sean Weatherspoon returned to practice on Saturday after suffering an injury to his finger early last week. Running back Jason Snelling is expected to return to practice today. Linebacker Robert James and fullback Bradie Ewing are expected to resume regular practice on Tuesday, since the Falcons will be off on Monday. All four players missed this past Thursday’s preseason loss to the Baltimore Ravens.
- Falcons wideout Roddy White will not play in the team’s upcoming preseason contest against the Tennessee Titans next Saturday and thus will not suit up for the remainder of the preseason. Regular starters do not suit up for the fourth and final preseason, scheduled for August 29 against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Smith indicated that he’s on the same “plan” as the rest of the starters i.e. he won’t play against Jacksonville.
- In other injury news, linebacker Stephen Nicholas did not finish practice on Saturday. No further information has been made available.
- Tony Gonzalez is set to return today after a three-week absence from camp.
- Click here to check out the five things Jay Adams learned about the Falcons on Saturday.
- Defensive end Osi Umenyiora made the decision to switch his uniform number from 90. He will be taking No. 50 from linebacker Pat Schiller. Schiller’s new number has yet to be determined.
No.50 was the most popular answer. So No.50 it is. I kindly thank everyone for their input. Have a great day!
— Osi Umenyiora (@OsiUmenyiora) August 17, 2013
@OsiUmenyiora and I have made a business decision and I will no longer be wearing #50 .. Ill keep you posted on my new # …
— Patrick Schiller (@Pat_Schiller) August 17, 2013